Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:08 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,218,965 times

Advertisements

Snow tires without studs can be driven year-round, although you'd be better off (tire-wise) to just use the snow tires in the winter. Many "all-season" tires are mud and snow rated, but true snow tires are best, IMHO. I have Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Sebring and Michelin XLT's on the Trailblazer.

Many states (not sure about WV) limited studded tires to the winter months, such as Nov 1 through the end of March or April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 AM

63 posts, read 294,575 times
David kennedy did your friend say if he ever has trouble getting in and out of there? I've done a little research and most say that the cinders work well.

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 01-20-2009, 02:46 PM

240 posts, read 730,514 times
I took a photo for you this afternoon coming home. As you can see, it is possible to drive on plowed but still snowy roads. The hill at the top of the photo is very steep and curved.

I don't know about other counties but this is usually about the best state roads does on the side roads here.

I'm sure DK can fill you in on the road you're concerned about. Just thought seeing a road after several days of snow might give you a better idea about what you will be dealing with.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,356,725 times
I used to have studded tires every winter - LOVED them. Work great.
Question though - is your car front wheel drive or rear wheel? I only had them when I had a rear wheel drive car - don't know if it is true, but was told it's not good to use them on front wheel drive vehicles.

Did you say your hubby's truck could not make it? Does it have 4 wheel drive?

My son had some tires for his truck that were new and not cheap ones - they things would hardly get him anywhere on the snow. I'll ask him what they were so can be sure to avoid those.

Yea, in WV studs are/were limited to winter. Have you gotten some chains for your tires? I've never used them -- maybe someone else can comment on that.

Quit using studs when I got a car with front wheel drive and traction control - very few cars had traction control then. Car was awesome - would go up hills I've seen a lot of cars like Subaru not make. Is traction control standard on cars now?

Old 01-20-2009, 06:33 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,281,581 times
If you guys are in the Pilkington's house with that horrible steep driveway nor even Ken McGills home, you have a sad beginning with your experiences in Wv..

Here's what works...hoping that hubby is a manager in the High Tech park...have someone make your road a security priority...pull the strings...the local doctors have that pull from the hospital...but it's almost over...by Thursday the sun will be shining and the memory of winter 08 will be fading...

Talking to a southern lady today in Durham, NC...25* and 3 inches of snow on the ground there...I asked about a Crab Boil on the horizion anytime soon...she laughed and said..."to early...ask me in 6 months when spring gets here..."

Call Johnny Leezers for those snow tires...best garage in the area and the very best price...304-363-6230...Jack will have them on in about 20 minutes...6th and Gaston Ave...

Millers'...just love your work...so clear..so precise...that reminded me of the Oregon backroads...totally!

Hatnic: Mike is that guy you see running up and down that road to keep in shape...he is not insane...stop and say hello...tell him it was my request...He's a transplant who has adjusted to Wv too!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM

63 posts, read 294,575 times
David, what do you mean by a sad beginning? Please explain.

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM

566 posts, read 1,574,600 times
Yes, studded tires must be removed after a certain date, and you can be ticketed for running them beyond the date. It's easy to tell who is running studs on clear pavement, due to the noise they make. At night, you may see sparks if running on clear pavement.

I would like to take this moment to share a snow removal trick. I don't use it much since my wife's car is now front wheel drive, it will go better than it will whoa, in the snow:

My driveway is a little steep, so I use this method at the bottom, where I turn in, to give the best run towards the top.

When the weather report predicts enough snow, and temps that may let it hang around a few days, I break out the tarp.

Lay the tarp down in a strategic spot and weight the corners in case of wind. Place a trash can or other object in the center so visitors can notice the tarp is there.

To clear a 10x20' area in one fell swoop, grab a top corner and pull it towards the opposite bottom corner. In less than a minute you have that area completely bare. I can remove up to 4-5" of wet snow this way. And I'm not nearly as strong as I used to be. Much easier and quicker than a shovel or even a snowplow!

Old 01-22-2009, 04:12 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,281,581 times
Hatnic: Sad Beginning....come to the unknown...even Wv...then it's nearly impossible to function because everything evolves around 'point of personal use transportation.

Steep drives mean parking the 'fliver a distance away and walking...been that way here for centuries...
was easier on horseback and walking...you are in a very good neighborhood with some very fine people there...

Old 01-22-2009, 04:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,356,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Yes, studded tires must be removed after a certain date, and you can be ticketed for running them beyond the date. It's easy to tell who is running studs on clear pavement, due to the noise they make. At night, you may see sparks if running on clear pavement.

I would like to take this moment to share a snow removal trick. I don't use it much since my wife's car is now front wheel drive, it will go better than it will whoa, in the snow:

My driveway is a little steep, so I use this method at the bottom, where I turn in, to give the best run towards the top.

When the weather report predicts enough snow, and temps that may let it hang around a few days, I break out the tarp.

Lay the tarp down in a strategic spot and weight the corners in case of wind. Place a trash can or other object in the center so visitors can notice the tarp is there.

To clear a 10x20' area in one fell swoop, grab a top corner and pull it towards the opposite bottom corner. In less than a minute you have that area completely bare. I can remove up to 4-5" of wet snow this way. And I'm not nearly as strong as I used to be. Much easier and quicker than a shovel or even a snowplow!
Back in the day of my not as good on snow/ice car - I used to carry a blanket/towel in my trunk. Got stuck a couple times, put it by my tire, and got unstuck. Do have to be careful to not wrap it around the tire - did that once.

I always carry a container of that salt-looking ice melter in my trunk. Haven't had to use it, but figure if I do it will give me some traction - either by being rough or by melting the ice/packed snow.

Anyone recommend an ice-melter that doesn't eat the road?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 PM

19,529 posts, read 22,407,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Call Johnny Leezers for those snow tires...best garage in the area and the very best price...304-363-6230...Jack will have them on in about 20 minutes...6th and Gaston Ave...
+1

Call Leezers. Great shop. Wished they worked on diesel though. My boss knows the owner really well. Used to work there years ago too. Like 30 years ago, lol.

You used to be able to get snow tires and the shop could insert the studs for you. No need to buy tire with studs imbedded. They can be popped off at the end of the season.

I used to live on a road called 'Daring Hill', and winters could be tough, even with a 4wd drive truck. We had a ditch on the side of the road/hill filled with rip-rap. I would set one side of the truck in the ditch for traction and run the ditch to the top of the hill. Sometimes had to park at the bottom and hoof the 1/2 mile to the house. Just something you get used to. No biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia