Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 07:44 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times

Advertisements

If someone asked me to pick a restaurant that isn't common around here I'd have to say something like Carraba's, Macaroni Grill, Cheesecake Factory, something along the lines of that. -mmccul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
If someone asked me to pick a restaurant that isn't common around here I'd have to say something like Carraba's, Macaroni Grill, Cheesecake Factory, something along the lines of that. -mmccul
I love Cheesecake Factory but they only go in metropolitan areas, they just put one in Annapolis. I also like mom and pop restaurants as well.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah, that's the only problem. I like some mom and pops as well. I keep thinking that Olive Garden would be perfect at The Commons, right on the corner. -mmccul

Old 05-23-2009, 03:01 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,035 times
Berkeley County is sandwiched between Virginia and Maryland and not too far from Pennsylvania so that alone puts it at a disadvantage because of those other states more favorable tax laws. Retail tends to settle in the surrounding states. It's a nice area though. Good location that is close to DC, Baltimore, and other northeastern cities.

I looked in to that region to live but decided to stay in the north central part of the state. Although the cost of living isn't at DC levels, it is higher than the state of WV. But if were lucky to land a good job in Frederick, MD, or Loudon County, VA I would consider the Martinsburg area. However earning a WV salary would be tough in that part of the state.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:42 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Growth and Development can be good and bad. The issue I see in Berkeley is zoning. With lack of zoning or in the case of Berkeley County no zoning the result can end on a bad note.

The issues I still see in Martinsburg is what we used to call the Berkeley County shift. Nothing really grows, it just moves every so many years. Granted, the massive influx from DC helped quell this mess, but you can still see it going on.

I remember when downtown boomed, then once they removed the big blue bridge and expanded Rt 11, the Plaza boomed, then they developed King Street, the Plaza turned into a dump and it shifted to the Mall area, now the Mall area is rather crusty and it is now shifting to Spring Mills. As for the Plaza area and downtown, which has so much historical potential are now, frankly dumps.

From what I see today, Martinsburg boom is turning to more of a bust with 20+% real estate reductions, folks from the DC area staying put, and a better attaction to Jefferson due to proximity and yes proper zoning, though many in the B'urg will argue that until their dying day, probably since so many in the local politic has benefitted due to lack of zoning issues.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Growth and Development can be good and bad. The issue I see in Berkeley is zoning. With lack of zoning or in the case of Berkeley County no zoning the result can end on a bad note.

The issues I still see in Martinsburg is what we used to call the Berkeley County shift. Nothing really grows, it just moves every so many years. Granted, the massive influx from DC helped quell this mess, but you can still see it going on.

I remember when downtown boomed, then once they removed the big blue bridge and expanded Rt 11, the Plaza boomed, then they developed King Street, the Plaza turned into a dump and it shifted to the Mall area, now the Mall area is rather crusty and it is now shifting to Spring Mills. As for the Plaza area and downtown, which has so much historical potential are now, frankly dumps.

From what I see today, Martinsburg boom is turning to more of a bust with 20+% real estate reductions, folks from the DC area staying put, and a better attaction to Jefferson due to proximity and yes proper zoning, though many in the B'urg will argue that until their dying day, probably since so many in the local politic has benefitted due to lack of zoning issues.
I agree. Growth is obviously still ocuuring, but at a slower rate.

Where exactly was the "big blue bridge"? It must've been here before I was. -mmccul

Old 05-24-2009, 12:30 PM

240 posts, read 831,382 times
I'm guessing he is referring to the bridge that used to connect Eagle School Road (then Queen Street) to Warm Springs Ave. This was all before my time, but heard family talk about it. The hill used to be there where the bridge came over the current Rt 11: Panhandle Builders have since developed that site on the corner of US 11 and Warm Springs ave into a strip center.

Back in the day this bridge was the only way to get from Martinsburg to Hedgesville: Mid Atlantic Parkway, RT 11 Ext, and Edwin Miller Blvd all did not exist. Georgia correct me if this is not what you are referring to.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 PM

19,512 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Was the "big, blue bridge" something that stood in the middle of town ? Please enlighten us.

I'd sure like to see 'The Commons' bring in some good restaurants and shopping.
I have seen attempts at 'fixing up' some areas in the downtown area of Martinsburg. Is it enough or will it be enough to attract more people to come there to eat and shop? Time will tell. Parking seems to be a constant issue. Why pay when one can go to the Mall and park there for free, or any shopping center, for that matter?
I find Rt 9 and 11, a bit embarrassing when relatives come to visit and they see, all these so called, "Gentlemen's Clubs". Are they really necessary ? What does that have to say for the Berkeley County male residents ? I realize not all of them attend these places but "Taboo" and others like it, certainly don't attract a female audience, unless they're the employees and/or entertainment.
Like the clubs that attract wider audiences both male and female and more than one age bracket.
Don't believe there's any thing like that in Martinsburg.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:25 PM

I agree about all the strip clubs that litter Rt 9 from the Queen St. bridge at Essroc to ERJ. There's probably about ten. All that space would have been great for more restaurants and maybe another strip center, but obviously it's attracting a different type of business. -mmccul

Old 05-25-2009, 07:41 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
I'm guessing he is referring to the bridge that used to connect Eagle School Road (then Queen Street) to Warm Springs Ave. This was all before my time, but heard family talk about it. The hill used to be there where the bridge came over the current Rt 11: Panhandle Builders have since developed that site on the corner of US 11 and Warm Springs ave into a strip center.

Back in the day this bridge was the only way to get from Martinsburg to Hedgesville: Mid Atlantic Parkway, RT 11 Ext, and Edwin Miller Blvd all did not exist. Georgia correct me if this is not what you are referring to.
You got it! Geez I am showing my age.
Remember the days of going to the Hag-Mart (now McDonalds) having a cheese dog, crossing the bridge over to the High's for an ice cream, then heading north past Lights Addition to the drive in. That was when Martinsburg was a fun town with a thiving downtown, citizen events, etc. hard to believe what it has turned into

How about some more downtown memories:
Brody's, McCroys, Emmerts, Stewarts Mens Wear, Fountain Cokes at Pattersons and Peoples Drug (Now a lawyers office), Taylor's Ham House, The Toilet, The Gateway Inn, The Old National Bank in the old building, Eyerly's, Stag Shop, Diamonds, Ryan's Candy Shop, The Newstand, Star Restaurant, and so on. It was such a great town...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia