U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 04:22 PM

3 posts, read 14,778 times

Advertisements

I have ancestors buried in this cemetery and am looking for anyone who has ever heard of this cemetery who could provide with directions from Route 50 to there. This is in or around Harrisville somewhere.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 05:36 PM

404 posts, read 1,099,015 times
How soon do you need the information? I live in Doddridge and can check it out for you. Harrisville is about 15 miles from me, at the most. Where are you coming from?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 PM

566 posts, read 1,450,137 times
I found this page, which lists that cemetery in the Murphy District of Ritchie county, if that helps any.
Ritchie County Cemetery Index (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/%7Ewvritchi/rccem.htm - broken link)

If you have page search in your browser, you can see if the name turns up in this History of Ritchie County, it does have some listings for Hardman Chapel.
http://files.usgwarchives.net/wv/rit...ory/hrc002.txt

Edit- I found a listing for Hardman Chapel Cemetery in Smithville, also in Ritchie co.

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 02-02-2009 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: History of Ritchie County

Old 03-16-2009, 07:42 AM

2 posts, read 9,827 times
Default Hardman Chapel

Did you find Hardman Chapel in Harrisville, Ritchie Co? My family built the chapel, I can ask my father for the directions if you have not found it.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:45 AM

Default Looking for directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1955 View Post
Did you find Hardman Chapel in Harrisville, Ritchie Co? My family built the chapel, I can ask my father for the directions if you have not found it.
I would appreciate any info on this cemetery. I have not found this cemetery yet. I live out of state and will be visiting soon. I would appreciate directions to this cemetery coming from Parkersburg. Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 10:47 AM

Default Still looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
How soon do you need the information? I live in Doddridge and can check it out for you. Harrisville is about 15 miles from me, at the most. Where are you coming from?
I will be visiting in April. I am a Gill ancestor and am needing directions to this cemetery from Parkersburg WV. Would appreciate any info. Thanks

Old 03-26-2009, 06:57 PM

I received your message, but I'm not sure where to send you. I also searched Gill on that page and it didn't turn up, but I'm sure it's just a partial listing.

Harrisville from Parkersburg- Follow US 50 East to the Harrisville exit.

Smithville from Parkersburg- Follow WV 47 to Smithville (approx. 35 miles). Rt 47 is pretty rough these days. You could also get to Smithville via Rt 50 to Rt 16 south.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:38 AM

404 posts, read 1,099,015 times
The Cemetary is half way between Smithville and Burnt House on 47. Two-Rivers is right, that road can be pretty bad at times. Especially after heavy rains. Keep an eye on the weather in case of flooding also. I don't think there is any cell phone service out there. I would go down 16 to Harrisville. Stop at the Chamber of Commerce. They will give you a county map and mark the directions for you and tell you more about the road conditions. Their phone number is 304-643-2500. You can also get more information on the cemetary at the court house. Ritchie County has a historical society that is open by appointment. You can google their web site for information.

If you need a place to stay, the Greenwood Motel is open and it's just on the Ritchie, Doddridge County line. North Bend Park also had a lodge and restaurant that is nice. It's just outside of Harrisville. There is also a place it Pennsboro but I can't remember the name of it right now.

While you are in Harrisville, stop at Berdines 5&dime! You'll be glad you did. It's a great old store.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM

Heading west on WV 47 out of Smithville, not far 2-5 miles, possibly atop Smithville hill, you'll come to a cemetery on your left. You'll see a large headstone as you enter one of the switchback turns, not sure if this is the right one, but there aren't many between Smithville and Burnt House.

If you travel WV 16 from Harrisville to Smithville, you'll see why Car and Driver magazine listed it as one of the top ten drives in America.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,827 times
Default Address to the chapel

I got the directions to the chapel from my father, whose family built the chapel and also has family burried there. We are Hardmans

There are two routes one is easier and the other is closer but has more curvey roads. I have both and you can decide which would be best for you.

Shorter:
Leave Parkersburg on Rt 47 east to Smithville WV. Stay on rt 47 through Smithville, Chapel is on the right at the top of the hill which is halfway between Smithville and Burnt House on Rt 47.

Longer trip:
Leave Parkersburg on Rt 50 East to the Ellenboro exit and is Rt 16. south to Smithville. At Smithville take rt 47 east to chaple on Rt 47 between Smithville and Burnt House. Chaple is at the top of the hill on the right and again it is half way between the two towns.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or