Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM

37 posts, read 70,910 times

Advertisements

First off I do not mean any offense at all it is a genuine question, where can I find land for sale in a mountain community I mean a place you can escape. I dont care if it takes an hour to get to the store I mean live off the land and possibly off the grid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 10:40 AM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
You can find that in almost every county.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,107 times
So true what Two says.
Probably some of the least populated and most off the grid would be the counties of McDowell, Wyoming, Grant, Hardy, Monroe.
One of the challenges is finding land:
1. Finding land for sale
2. Finding land with enough acreage that is not a straight up and down mountain.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:10 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Red Oak Realty is the largest real estate agent in Pocahontas and Greenbrier counties.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:34 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Check out Bemis or Glady in Randolph county, but like someone earlier mentioned finding land is hard!!!

Old 02-15-2009, 07:18 AM

37 posts, read 104,079 times
If you are looking in the North Central region of West Virginia go to Find West Virginia Real Estate. The cheaper areas are Doddridge county, Gilmer, Ritchie, Webster...Sometimes you can find free gas which between that and some solar you could conceiveably live off grid. But really comparatively land is is cheaper here including real estate taxes...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM

37 posts, read 70,910 times
Default Thank You All

Thank You all so much for the information I am taking it all down and researching all of it. It is hard to know what to look for when you are in another state. I apprieciate all the info..

Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Darny check out landandfarm.com because they've got ample listings for raw land all states. Most local real estate offices are geared toward residential & commercial sales, although I did find a few listings with Old country that were a mix, but they did tend to overvalue things more often than not (the ripley office more than summersville). Large parcels are available in WV but like other posters have pointed out, what gets said in words or pictures isn't the whole picture.

When I was in your shoes one gentleman allowed his realtor to advertise his land as being 100 acre farm, but neglected to mention that only 12 acres were usable/accessible and the farm itself had been inactive for over 10yrs. He had redirected a stream to run nearby the house (very romantic and soothing sounds) but didn't pay attention to how that would affect the foundation of the house being continuously leached by fresh water.

Caveat emptor applies everywhere, so be sure to check things out with as many senses as possible to minimize regrets. The more clear about what your purpose is with the land, the better you can scrutinize for your specific needs. I'd rather have happy neighbors that have their eyes wide open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia