Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM

61 posts, read 201,920 times

Advertisements

Can someone please give me an idea of the construction costs in Fairmont? I am looking to open a restaurant in the area. I would like to get an idea of how much to budget PSF for an interior fit-out. I intend to lease a space in an existing building, which hopefully would've been a restaurant previously. If you can give me a cost PSF for kitchen space and the same for the dining area, that'd be great.

If any construction companies would like to write me about this, go ahead. I can give you some more specific detail about the level of finish I would want if you write. It is still a little early to build, but I'm trying to get my budget together.

Thanks, Brent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 04:36 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
I don't know about Fairmont or restaurants, but in Charleston the cost to build a house ranges from $100 sq ft (at least that is what I heard - I've never found anyone that cheap) to $300 sq ft. ( for really nice house). Basically from what I've seen, about $150-$200 sq ft is about average.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:42 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Having just finished a commercial job in Fairmont I will say this...go anywhere else BUT Fairmont...
so many people in the past few years have been scammed in that town...

Off the top of my head: A man (shill) from Buckhannon was tricked into buying a rundown old resturant on the main street...put 500k into it and the permit process got stuck...took over a year to straighten.

Had to bailout and take the loss...local smiling guy steps in and buys it for pennies at bankruptcy court...gets permits and opens in weeks...nice little greasy spoon...always was...

What it will cost?

2% of the Gross for the Building Permit
1% of the Gross for the Electrical Permit
2% of the Gross for B & O) Tax.
Waste dumpsters @ $980.00 each
Inspections: $25.00 each time
Occupancy Permit $??.00
State fees and Health Department Certifications $??.00
Food Handlers cards @ $20 each employee
Business Franchise Tax at $35.00 per year.
City Business Tax $90.00 per year.
Water and Sewage: About $250 per month

Renovation: Expect $150.00 per square foot minimum as this is commercial code.
***Most of this is in old asbestos filled buildings.
Federal Regs are used for asbestos containment.

and you will be asked to pay the Friendly City 'Duty'...
If you want to know what that is..send me a DM.

Good Luck....but remember, you were warned...

The resturant row in that area is at Middletown Mall...Applebee's, Colesanno's, China Buffet, in the past year. This hilltop is becoming the oasis for I-79 travelers....Don't waste your money until you see this area...growing hotspot for sure...and the old Mall has two large spaces left...

What is needed?...a great Italian Resturant...or up-scale surf and turf with a nice, casual bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia