Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Like I've said before, you can't define WV by the northern panhandle any more than you can define a submarine by its periscope.
That's true, and you can't define it by its fat underbelly either. The State has at least 5 areas each of which are quite distinct from the others in character. Yet every one of them is Appalachian... that is the common trait. And, none of those areas is large enough in population that it dominates the whole State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:19 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
I more often see people using the panhandles to define WV rather than the rest of the state. And according to the recent CDC studies we are indeed defined by our fat underbelly.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I more often see people using the panhandles to define WV rather than the rest of the state. And according to the recent CDC studies we are indeed defined by our fat underbelly.
The stereotypes are associated with the fat underbelly, but that is in no way typical of the rest of the State. No offense intended. I have many friends and some relatives in that part of the State, but compared with the other areas it is just a little less welcoming there overall. I would be interested in seeing your studies, but obesity in Huntington doesn't count.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 PM

29 posts, read 149,523 times
I live in the NP, I work in Pittsburgh and have traveled not only around the state, but also around the world.

When I've been in the North East (Maine, NY, CT, NH, RI) etc... I was accused of having a southern accent. When I've been in NC or Atlanta, I've been told I talk to fast and have a northern accent.

As far as mannerism is concerned, The NP shares the same as the people in Western PA and Eastern Ohio, the region.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:48 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The stereotypes are associated with the fat underbelly, but that is in no way typical of the rest of the State. No offense intended. I have many friends and some relatives in that part of the State, but compared with the other areas it is just a little less welcoming there overall. I would be interested in seeing your studies, but obesity in Huntington doesn't count.
I was just joking, CT. But I am quite serious when I say that in most discussions of WV the panhandles are used as divining rods, but panhandles by their very nature are atypical. The northern panhandle, of course, is used to show that WV is northern. The eastern panhandle is used to show that WV is mid-Atlantic. I rarely see southern WV used as a defining region, it is usually referred to as an exception, as if the panhandles were the norm. But to me southern and central WV are the heart of the state.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:58 AM

130 posts, read 367,742 times
I think that I can agree about being "Up North" (Northeastern States) and being "accused" (and it really does seem that way sometime) of having a Southern Accent. But I can't say that I've ever been South and been told I have a "Northern" accent.

Since no one can agree on this subject or perhaps it's just a hot topic. West Virginia is an Appalachian State, and predominantly Appalachian in character. There are many different areas of this state that have a different flavor to it.

It's safe to say that West Virginia is the Northernmost Southern State and the Southernmost Northern State.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
That's true, and you can't define it by its fat underbelly either. The State has at least 5 areas each of which are quite distinct from the others in character. Yet every one of them is Appalachian... that is the common trait. And, none of those areas is large enough in population that it dominates the whole State.
Except on game day - then WVU and MoTown dominates the whole state.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasey View Post
I live in the NP, I work in Pittsburgh and have traveled not only around the state, but also around the world.

When I've been in the North East (Maine, NY, CT, NH, RI) etc... I was accused of having a southern accent. When I've been in NC or Atlanta, I've been told I talk to fast and have a northern accent.

As far as mannerism is concerned, The NP shares the same as the people in Western PA and Eastern Ohio, the region.
Me too - I get that all the time, plus, mine is complicated by the fact I grew up in NE Ohio. Guess I now have an accent all my own.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvissouri View Post
It's safe to say that West Virginia is the Northernmost Southern State and the Southernmost Northern State.
I'd say that is a perfect description.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvissouri View Post
I think that I can agree about being "Up North" (Northeastern States) and being "accused" (and it really does seem that way sometime) of having a Southern Accent. But I can't say that I've ever been South and been told I have a "Northern" accent.

Since no one can agree on this subject or perhaps it's just a hot topic. West Virginia is an Appalachian State, and predominantly Appalachian in character. There are many different areas of this state that have a different flavor to it.

I'm originally from Wheeling and worked in the NYC area for more than 15 years. They thought I had somewhat of a southern accent too. But, you have to understand, to a New Yorker or a Bostonian, someone from Philadelphia has a southern accent. It's all relative. In general, they think Pittsburgers are southern "hicks". Actually if you listen to one and take the accent out of the equation, they actually do use a more pure form of Appalachian speech in Pittsburgh. The yinzers are definitely Appalachian, but they are too dumb to realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia