Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Like towns like East Liverpool and Wheeler. Since WV is technically the South, the South technically goes as far north as NYC!!! I assume they're a tad more southern than say most of Ohio, maybe closer to Cincinnati than Columbus? Just a guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Wheeler --> Wheeling

East Liverpool is in Ohio.

You'll get a long (and eventually unresolved) argument as to whether West Virginia is "technically" South. West Virginia is in Appalachia, or Trans-Allegheny if you want to go back that far.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Like towns like East Liverpool and Wheeler. Since WV is technically the South, the South technically goes as far north as NYC!!! I assume they're a tad more southern than say most of Ohio, maybe closer to Cincinnati than Columbus? Just a guess.
Not sure where you come up with that. There is little difference sociologically between East Liverpool, OH and Wheeling, WV. Both towns are essentially in the Greater Pittsburgh area, are largely former steel town in character, and have an urban Appalachian character as does Pittsburgh.
The Northern Panhandle is not traditionally considered southern, and the arbitrary determinent for that designation, The Mason Dixon Line, forms the county line between Marshall and Wetzel counties in WV. Thus, most of the Northern Panhandle is northern. Cincinnati, OH on the other hand is largely southern in character and lies well below The Mason Dixon Line.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The Northern Panhandle is not traditionally considered southern, and the arbitrary determinent for that designation, The Mason Dixon Line, forms the county line between Marshall and Wetzel counties in WV.
Just to be real picky, I think the official M/D line ends at the western edge of Pennsylvania. Wasn't the original purpose of the M/D survey to determine the boundary between Pennsylvania and Virginia, which was supposed to extend "Five degrees west" of the Delaware River?

The Marshall-Wetzel boundary is (IIRC) just an extension of the official M/D line.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 AM

94 posts, read 422,648 times
Wheeling, WV def has a "northern" feel to it...

BUT, if you get on route 7 south, you certainly feel it getting more southern with each stop to get Gas. Once you get to Charleston and beyond, there is def a different feel.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,797 times
I,m from the north tip of west virginia next to the ohio state line. we consider that part of west virginia to be in the north.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:24 AM

843 posts, read 1,297,688 times
I always considered West Virginia to be more of an Atlantic or South East state like Maryland. And Ohio to be MidWest.

But northern WV has a different "feel" to it than southern WV.

Just like eastern and western Ohio do.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:39 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Just to be real picky, I think the official M/D line ends at the western edge of Pennsylvania. Wasn't the original purpose of the M/D survey to determine the boundary between Pennsylvania and Virginia, which was supposed to extend "Five degrees west" of the Delaware River?

The Marshall-Wetzel boundary is (IIRC) just an extension of the official M/D line.
The original Mason Dixon Line, which was surveyed in the 1700s, was to form the State Line between Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was later extended to form the State Line between Pennsylvania and Virginia, but was halted due to indian raids on the working party. The fact that it was never completed essentially resulted in the northern counties remaining with Virginia instead of Pennsylvania. It was later extended to form the County Line between Marshall and Wetzel counties, although that extension was not part of the original survey.

In the 1700s there were actually a series of mini civil wars fought over territory between what was then the colonies. It actually came to blows between Pennsylvania and Maryland, and also between New York and Vermont after independence where Ethan Allen and the Green Mountain Boys fought off the New York Militia in an effort to break off from New York. They were eventually successful and Congress recognized Vermont as a seperate state.

The Northern Panhandle is basically northern-midwestern in character, same as northern Ohio and Eastern PA. As you go south in West Virginia and Ohio it becomes more southern Appalachian (as distinct from southern) in character and as you move west through Ohio the character changes from southern Appalachian to southern-mid western. Cincy and Louisville are southern-mid western.

Nobody is going to confuse Huntington with Birmingham, nor will they confuse Weirton with either Hartford or Dayton. Those are all distinct regions with their own characteristics.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 02-25-2009 at 11:49 AM..

Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Like I've said before, you can't define WV by the northern panhandle any more than you can define a submarine by its periscope.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:27 PM

423 posts, read 1,236,839 times
i'm also from the northern tip of west virginia, along the wv-pa-oh border. i've always considered myself a northerner.

it's somewhat of a moot point, i guess. i would suspect that someone from alabama or georgia would consider west virginians all northerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia