Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,024 times

Advertisements

we have a job offer in Bridgeport WV, and most likley will not have time to go there and check out the area much. The job is at the Airport. We are moving from Michigan. We have one 12 yr old daughter in 7th grade ( but we would wait to start her in school in the fall as school is almost over here ) so she would be an 8th grader.
Anyone intrested in giving me some towns to at least start to look at. Something near the airport ( with in 20 miles I would think?? ) and good schools ( middle and High ) we are not really big city people, we come from a small town now ( I drive 25 min to work about 20 miles away ) we are frindly and easy to get along with ,dont need anything fancy, but I will need to look for work too, ( i am an Activities Director right now , but have nursing background)
we thought we where moving down south further, but the economy made that job have a hiring freeze, so another company is offering a position, but we really dont have much time to decide, so we cant really take a vacation like we did for the down south job to check things out.
So if someone could give me at least a start that would be great.
Other than looking on a map I have nothing. I did look at the Bridgeport web site and it looks beautifull there. Other than that i know nothing.....THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,571 times
I think you will be very happy in Bridgeport. Lovely area

Old 03-04-2009, 03:00 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
There should be plenty of nursing/healthcare positions available to you along the I-79 corridor from Bridgeport/Clarksburg up to Morgantown. Fairmont, or outside of Fairmont but convenient to I-79, would be a good, central, location.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
You haven't said - assume you are going to rent until you get a better feel for the area and decide where you want to buy a house?

I can't imagine moving to an area and knowing nothing about it.

Bridgeport is a nice area. Downtown is pretty small and older but there is a lot of development, shopping, etc. in the area. Don't be mistaken however, it is not a Metro area. Bridgeport is a small town.

UHC is the 4th largest hospital in the state (that is what their website says) Welcome to United Hospital Center.

Morgantown is home to West Virginia University and a lot of nursing, etc. jobs. Don't know if hubby would want to commute to Bridgeport airport but it's not a bad drive on I-79. West Virginia University Hospitals - Morgantown, West Virginia and Mon Health System - Welcome to Mon General Hospital

Get very far from I-79 and you get into pretty rural areas.

From Bridgeport:
It is 30 (?) minutes to Morgantown (home of WVU - which BTW, our football coach left WVU for Michigan so we all hate him now cuz of the way he did it). Lots of stuff going on in MoTown cuz of the college.
It is about 1hr 30-40 minutes to Pittsburgh and about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to Charleston, WV - great road either way (I-79).
About 2 hours from what I and many feel is the prettiest area of WV, Canaan Valley. Canaan Valley, Blackwater Falls, West Virginia Travel and Vacation Information

Bridgeport and Clarksburg sort of run into each other but I'd move to Bridgeport over Clarksburg.
Do a search of Bridgeport and/or Clarksburg on this forum. There has been a good bit of discussion about the area over the last few months. One thread is
Moving to Clarksburg?

Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 AM

2 posts, read 4,024 times
thank you for all your help everyone. Gives us a good " where to start " idea. As it turns out we will be able to come and visit the area before. Also you where right Vec101 we are not intrested in buying a home right now, we sold our home in Michigan, but have no promblems renting an apartment or house ( either one ). Right now somethuing easy to get to the airport is fine as long as the school is good. I am not really to worried about a job, I "ll find somthing, nursing is pretty open I noticed there. The school where our daughter goes now is awfull, ( our older kids went there as well as my husband, but it most likley will not be around long, thats why we are moving. Michigan is a beautifull state but hard to live in and costly.
Anyway THANK YOU!!!!! this helps alot to give an idea where to start looking.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 AM

37 posts, read 104,006 times
go on www.findwvrealestate.com
look for a realtor in that area to help you find a rental.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:53 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I can't imagine moving to an area and knowing nothing about it.
Military families do it all the time. That means I grew up never knowing anything but pack up and move, figure it out when you get where you are going. I didn't turn out too bad. too bad. too bad. too. too. t

Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,793 times
We are moving to Bridgeport, too. What else but the FBI center, right? Coming from Southern Maryland.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:36 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Military families do it all the time. That means I grew up never knowing anything but pack up and move, figure it out when you get where you are going. I didn't turn out too bad. too bad. too bad. too. too. t

Old 03-27-2009, 08:03 PM

13 posts, read 37,461 times
I live in the neighboring county, Lewis. Jane Lew, WV. It's a great small town. Right off the interstate - I 79. We are 20 minutes from the airport. My brother in law lives here also and works for company that does maintaince for airplanes. Jane Lew school is K-6. great school. There is a nursing home in Jane Lew. One of the best in the area. I work with the elderly, I know. Please check us out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia