U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2009, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 25,541 times
Default cheapest town to live in west virginia

so i'm moving to west virginia and can't pick a town. i want somewhere where the rent is cheap for a two bedroom and there are jobs like at factories, construction, or general labor. can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 05:50 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,842,231 times
Don't move to WV or change what you are looking for.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 PM

11 posts, read 25,541 times
rude as they come huh

Old 03-13-2009, 07:09 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,183,403 times
AliceT has a whole state to protect.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:49 PM

404 posts, read 763,796 times
Oh boy, where to start?
Alice! You don't mince words! I like that!

Brianna, You want to move to a rural area and commute about a half hour or hour to work if you want cheap rent and a job. Morgantown, Huntington or Charleston are your best bets for jobs in the area you are looking for. Maybe someone else will chime in here if I'm wrong?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:27 AM

3,105 posts, read 4,505,594 times
Sharedspirit is right.

Brianna, Take no offense by AliceT. She's on a mission to keep WV as it is so scares off "outsiders".

Old 03-14-2009, 10:08 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,271,228 times
Make sure to check out the Huntington area. Forbes rated it as having the best cost of living in the nation and there are several factories here as well as a lot of construction projects going on in the area with more planned. Let me know if you need any specifics and I'll help any way I can.

Tim

Old 03-15-2009, 05:53 PM

6,260 posts, read 4,441,880 times
Remember that there is often an inverse relationship between "cheapness" and "opportunity". Low cost of living often means there is not a lot of opportunity in an area. One smart thing to do if cost is a real issue is to locate in a relatively low cost area that is near a higher cost, more prosperous area. That way you can have greater employment opportunity and still keep the costs down. Fairmont is such a town. The cost of living is relatively low there, but it is near the towns of Clarksburg and Morgantown where there is greater job opportunity.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM

1,576 posts, read 1,787,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Remember that there is often an inverse relationship between "cheapness" and "opportunity". Low cost of living often means there is not a lot of opportunity in an area. One smart thing to do if cost is a real issue is to locate in a relatively low cost area that is near a higher cost, more prosperous area. That way you can have greater employment opportunity and still keep the costs down. Fairmont is such a town. The cost of living is relatively low there, but it is near the towns of Clarksburg and Morgantown where there is greater job opportunity.

I agree with CT. Living in a low cost area, near a high cost area is the way to go! That's what i'm doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia