U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 PM

11 posts, read 39,965 times

Advertisements

what town is a good starter place? minium wage jobs, cheap rent,etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM

13 posts, read 27,677 times
I grew up in Fairmont, WV. I moved away for college and am probably not moving back for the simple reason that I want to live in a larger city for awhile.

But! I would recommend the Clarksburg-Fairmont-Morgantown section of WV to anyone in the near future. It is really beginning to boom due to a few reasons. For one, the new technology park that came to Fairmont awhile ago has really opened up a market for that field (I'm not sure which field you're in, but a wide variety of job opportunities came from it!) I think another reason this section might be a good choice is that businesses are beginning to recognize its potential accessability. I-79 runs directly up to Pittsburgh and down through the entire state. Anytime an area gets a lot of traffic, businesses flock. Hence, more jobs open up.

Now, with all that being said, Fairmont is still a place that holds one of the highest number of geriatric residents and not a large general population. Not saying that's bad, but just to clarify it's not a hoppin' place quite yet. I'm not sure if it will ever obtain the population of a larger city unless something major changes.

Morgantown has more of a younger crowd due to the university and has a ton more to do, but many describe it as a typical college town - and a very congested one at that because of its small size and very large population density.

Clarksburg seems to me to be more rural than fairmont and morgantown. But i'm not sure much about it I haven't spent very much time there except for visiting the mall!

Hope that helps !

Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 PM

ya that helps, do you know how much rent is about in clarksburg for a two bedroom, i live in connecticut now and pay 800 a month so i'm looking to live somewhere cheaper.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,014,937 times
You might want to look into Martinsburg, WV. Located in Berkeley County, we are known as the fastest growing county in WV due to our closeness to Washington, DC (only 70 miles away!) Here are some links that provide some useful information about our area. If you have any questions, please let me know. -mmccul

Martinsburg, West Virginia. Northern Gateway to the Shenandoah Valley. Offering valuable information about Martinsburg, Berkeley County West Virginia, site will feature local information, calendar of events, tourist information, shopping and hotel gu

Martinsburg, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to the Martinsburg-Berkeley County Visitors Bureau

http://www.city-data.com/city/Martin...-Virginia.html

Homes in Martinsburg WV, New Homes in West Virginia – Martinsburg Station (New award-winning subdivision by Toll Brothers, might be to expensive for what you are looking for).

Old 03-13-2009, 05:57 PM

ok so i was misinformed i don't think my job is out there, i think it's only in virginia. i work at stop& shop which is also affiliated with giant, so to get a transfer i have to go there. do you know of any giant or stop& shop grocery stores in wv?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:01 PM

these are the towns listed, alexandria, annandale,arlington,ashburn,burke,centreville,chan tilly,charlottesville,clifton,dale city,fairfax,falls church,falmouth,fredricksburg,gainesville,haymarke t,herndon,lake ridge,leesburg,lerton,manassa,mclean,oakton,purcel lville,reston,spotsylvania,springfield,stafford,st erling,vienna,warrenton

Old 03-13-2009, 06:29 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,014,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannabri View Post
ok so i was misinformed i don't think my job is out there, i think it's only in virginia. i work at stop& shop which is also affiliated with giant, so to get a transfer i have to go there. do you know of any giant or stop& shop grocery stores in wv?
In Martinsburg, there is a grocery store called Martin's, which is a chain owned by Giant. (I assume we are reffering to the same Giant).

Welcome*-* Giant
MARTIN’S® Food Markets

Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 PM

awesome it is the same giant, thanks for info gonna research more towns that have martins, so what town you in how much is rent?

Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,938,917 times
First it was VA and now it is WV. All in the span of 8 posts. I smell a troll.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:03 PM

what are you talkin about alicet, troll my butt, i'm lookin for somewhere to live in either virginia or west virginia pyscho, go somewhere else
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia