Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,213,892 times

Advertisements

From the Wheeling Intelligencer/News-Register.

Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,351,474 times
Hated to hear that about The Greenbrier - it's just so quaint and lovely. Interesting it is being bought by The Marriott. That may be a good thing. Guess time will tell.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,768,716 times
A slightly longer article with a few details - HERE (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090319/ap_on_bi_ge/greenbrier_bankruptcy - broken link).

I've actually never been there, though several of my relatives who live not far from there did the tour of the bunker area. I remember the old "Somewhere In Time" movie with Christopher Reeve was filmed there, too - put it on the general public's map as they said after that movie came out tons of folks flocked to the place for a while to check it out.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,351,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
A slightly longer article with a few details - HERE (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090319/ap_on_bi_ge/greenbrier_bankruptcy - broken link).

I've actually never been there, though several of my relatives who live not far from there did the tour of the bunker area. I remember the old "Somewhere In Time" movie with Christopher Reeve was filmed there, too - put it on the general public's map as they said after that movie came out tons of folks flocked to the place for a while to check it out.
Whaaat - it was filmed at The Greenbrier? Did not know that. I loved that movie.

Speaking of Chris Reeves - many moons ago was at Niagara Falls walking along the river not far from the falls. We saw a "body" bobbing around in the water and about had a heart attack. Then realized - they were filming Superman at the time we were there - the body was one of the dummies used in a shot of the movie.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:09 PM

352 posts, read 794,173 times
The Greenbrier is not the hotel used as the location for "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve.
The beautiful spot is the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island...Michigan. Love this movie!

Last edited by WVBurn; 03-20-2009 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 03-21-2009, 11:56 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,768,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBurn View Post
The Greenbrier is not the hotel used as the location for "Somewhere in Time" with Christopher Reeve.
The beautiful spot is the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island...Michigan. Love this movie!
My bad. I had actually read somewhere in a moviezine that it was filmed at the Greenbrier, but guess that article was wrong. Did some digging and you are correct.

Gee, and I thought everything I found on the internet was factual. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia