Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 AM

119 posts, read 427,507 times

Advertisements

We are making the trip from NY the week of Easter vacation from school. First stop will be in VA, to visit a friend of ours who has been battling cancer. We are toying with a brief stop in NC, to visit the zoo (and the furniture outlet!) Then on to WV to check out the areas that we have looked into the most.

One area is Buckhannon, down to Rock Cave (I saw a house online in Rock Cave that would suit our needs perfectly, price is good too). Can anyone recommend anything to do in that area that the kids might enjoy? They are 9, 11, and our oldest son will turn 13 while we are there. Also, clean, safe, modestly priced motels in the area? Area newspapers to pick up while we are there, to look further into employment and housing?

The other area is the Charleston/Clendenin area. I'm sure there are lots of things to do in and around Charleston. Any suggestions?

The third area is the Huntington/Hamlin area. Basically, the city area would be for jobs, the more rural area where we would be looking for a home, school, etc. Huntington seems to have many job opportunities, but doesn't look to be near the mountains, which we want. On the other hand, there are many homes for sale there reasonably priced, one even has a stream!

Any comparisons, ideas, etc would be greatly appreciated. We are in countdown mode until the trip. Because I pet sit for people when they go on vacation, we haven't take a vacation ourselves in ages, so this trip is a big deal. We are really looking forward to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 12:12 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,350,428 times
Buckhannon is a really nice little town. Also, it has the prettiest little river.

Not sure what price range of hotel you want. We usually stay at the Hampton Inn. The Bicentenniel would be my 2nd choice. I would NOT recommend the Baxa.
There is a new Holiday Inn Express at the I-64 exit (which is about 10 miles from Bkn).

My fav restaurant is CJ Maggies. CJ Maggies - cj_locations.php (http://www.cj-maggies.com/cj_locations.php - broken link)

Take the kids to the Game Farm. Guess it's now called West Virginia State Wildlife Center. Not sure, but I think it's actually in Rock Cave.
West Virginia DNR - Wildlife Center

Buckhannon, WV (http://www.ci.buckhannon.wv.us/citypark.html - broken link)
This is a nice little park http://www.ci.buckhannon.wv.us/northbuckriverfront.html (broken link)
http://www.wvexp.com/index.php/Stone...anagement_Area

Nice little history story: http://www.hackerscreek.com/pringle.htm (broken link) http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM21H2

Can't think of anything else to do in the area without driving for 1 hour to Canaan.

Last edited by vec101; 03-24-2009 at 12:23 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 02:08 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,051,770 times
All of those towns have really nice features about them. I figure once you get down here and see the geography of said areas, you will have a much better idea of what's suitable for your family.

Have safe travelling. Your friend, Silk

Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 PM

Well, I looked at Maggie's menu, and I think we will take my son there for his birthday. It looks great, and much different than what we have near us: Mickey D's , BK, Ponderosa, and way too many pizza places. We had planned to go to the French Creek wildlife center. I think we will spend most of our time just wandering around, relaxing, and trying to get a feel for the area. Right now I just look forward to sitting down, and staring at lakes, streams, and mountains! (and the kids want to try white water rafting

Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM

4,934 posts, read 8,881,587 times
While in Huntington, you may want to consider staying in either the Pullman Plaza or the Holiday Inn downtown. This puts you within walking distance of Pullman Square and many of the great shops and restaurants downtown.

Welcome to Pullman Plaza Hotel
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites HUNTINGTON Hotels | HUNTINGTON-CIVIC ARENA | Welcome

While checking out downtown, make sure to go to Pullman Square and walk along 3rd, 4th and 5th Avenues to check out many of the local restaurants and shops. There are some great stores like C.F. Reuschlines (been there for over 100 years), Love Hardware (old hardware store that has again, been in business for almost 100 years), MUG and PIA, Latta's Toy Station, Empire Books, Le Cook Store, and many others. When looking for places to eat, there are your usual chains close by like Max and Erma's, Applebee's, Uno's, Red Lobster, etc., but there are also some great local places that you might want to check out. Jim's Steak and Spaghetti has been in business since the 1930s and has served many celebrities like JFK, Bill Clinton and Billy Joel. Jewel City Seafood is on 4th Ave and is not only a restaurant but is also a seafood market. They have some of the best seafood I''ve eaten. There's also a new Italian place called Mellini's and another local eatery called Franky D's. Also make sure to stroll down and check out the new visitor's center in the old train station by the riverfront (it should be finished when you are here). The Huntington Mall is also close by as is Blenko Glass which offers tours of their glass blowing operations.

Shops
Pullman Square - Restaurants Shopping Entertainment
C.F. Reuschlein, Inc. Jewelers (http://cfrjewelers.com/output.asp?content=aboutr - broken link)
Home Improvement Store for Home Repair and Remodeling: DoItBest - home hardware store, housewares, hand tools
Mug and Pia
Empire Books and News
Home

Restaurants
Jewel City Seafood
Melini Cucina Italian Ristorante Huntington WV, Morehead KY, Portmouth OH, Ironton OH, Graayson KY, Mt Sterling KY
Frankie D's Italian Chophouse Huntington WV at Pullman Square

Blenko Glass Company Web Site Home

Cabell-Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau, Huntington, West Virginia

When looking for things to do while in town, the largest movie complex in the state is at Pullman Square and offers 16 screens and 3-D movies. The Funny Bone Comedy club is also at Pullman and it does offer family events from time to time. The Big Sandy Arena or the Keith Albee Performing Arts Center may be putting on a show or event that would interest all of your family. Also make sure to check out the Huntington Museum of Art which showcases a lot of neat items and has WV's only conservatory inside with plenty of neat plants to look at. Heritage Farm and Museum is also close by and might be of interest as well. You might also be interest in walking around the campus of Marshall University, especially if you've seen the movie "We are Marshall". It's a beautiful campus with some neat things to check out. They also have their own art gallery and performance center that may have something going on as well. Also be sure to check out Ritter Park and the wonderful atmosphere that it adds to Huntington.

Pullman Square 16 (http://www.marqueecinemas.com/Theaters/WestVirginia/Huntington/tabid/198/Default.aspx - broken link)
Greater Huntington Theatres - Cinema Theatre
Welcome To Your Huntington Funny Bone
Big Sandy Superstore Arena - Huntington, WV
Home - Marshall Artists Series
Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV
Heritage Farm Museum and Village of Huntington, West Virginia
We Are Marshall: The Movie

Hope this gives you a good idea of things to do in Huntington. With regards to the Hamlin area, this area is definately rural if that's what you are looking for. It's about 45 minutes from Huntington straight down Route 10. There are many who live there and come to Huntington for work. You may also want to check out the areas along Route 2. This road also heads straight into Huntington but follows the Ohio River for much of its path. There's lots of farmland and some beautiful scenery on this road so keep your eyes out for property there either in Cabell or Mason Counties. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else.

Tim

Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 PM

37 posts, read 103,513 times
Try Elkins too

Old 03-25-2009, 11:55 PM

9 posts, read 52,449 times
I grew up in Rock Cave . Went through elementary school there & junior high & high school in Buckhannon . Rock Cave is a small community , nice but not really many activities for children . Buckhannon is a nice small town but I doubt if you'll find much in the way of employment there .
I moved away from that area for employment reasons several years ago but have been back through the area a couple years ago & things had changed some but not a lot . Mostly just appeared to be more convience stores & fast food joints .

Old 03-26-2009, 05:49 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,350,428 times
A lot of people who live in Buckhannon work at places outside town such as the FBI plant in Clarksburg (half hour away).

Old 03-27-2009, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 37,328 times
What kind of employment will you be looking for? My vote is for Upshur co., Buckhannon - Rock Cave. I love this area. Grew up in adjoining county, Webster and now live in adjoining county , Lewis. If you and your kids are outdoorsmen, then there is plenty to do. Holly River State Park, Audra State Park. Lots of hiking, fishing, and swimming. Buckhannon is one of the busiest small towns in central WV. Be sure to check it out.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM

Thanks to all of you for all the info. There are so many links to check out.
The FBI plant? Is that an FBI training center, or computer center, or am I missing it completely?
We do prefer a small town to the city. We would live within commuting distance of the city, but no closer, we're country at heart. Plus, I really miss the mountains.

DinahMills: My husband is in retail/management. Right now I drive a school bus, so I can be home when the kids are. My background and education are in social work. If possible, I would like to stay on the school schedule, it makes it much easier than having to find day care. I also do pet sitting up here, and would continue that when we move if there were a need.

Again, thank you so much for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia