Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:44 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,252 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
Every day we are one day closer to West Virginia! I do have some random questions. I know the answers to these may depend on the location we end up in, but just looking for some generals.....

1. What is the frost line? In Talkeetna, it was 48 inches and we were having the darndest time trying to figure out how we wanted to do our foundation. I am assuming WV has a much more shallow frost line

2. Tell me about basements, yours or others. Are they common in the area? Is mold a problem? What about Monolithic slabs? What types of foundations are generally used on new construction?

3. What kinds of well depths are found in the Central Region and/or SouthEastern Region?

4. How is the well water? What sorts of chemicals have been found in yours or others?

5. Is the soil generally rocky, sandy, clay, etc? If clearing land for a field, for instance, will moving rocks be a major issue like in the Northeast? Is the soil in different areas good or bad for growing?

6. What types of things do you grow (fruits and veggies). I want to hear it all!

7. Are there any Cooperative Extensions locally or through the University that offer classes on food prep- canning, drying, etc? I know quite a bit about Alaska flora/fauna, but that won't do me much good down there.

8. How many pounds of meat do you usually end up with after you bone out your deer? Are they at all similar to Sitka Deer? They will get you maybe 50-60 lbs of meat. Is is difficult to get a hunting license as a new resident?

9. What are some examples on prices for groceries- milk, cheese, butter, eggs, etc? Trying to figure some budgeting ideas since I have been in Alaska so long.

10. What restrictions are there on building your own home? We are looking at something a little non-traditional, but aren't sure how it will fly in terms of zodes and such.

Thanks in advance for the answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 05:29 PM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
[quote=MeganAK;8232668]Hello All,
Every day we are one day closer to West Virginia! I do have some random questions. I know the answers to these may depend on the location we end up in, but just looking for some generals.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganAK View Post
1. What is the frost line? In Talkeetna, it was 48 inches and we were having the darndest time trying to figure out how we wanted to do our foundation. I am assuming WV has a much more shallow frost line
When we put in the foundation for our barn, I asked about the frost line. The concrete guy said it was never more than 12".

Quote:
2. Tell me about basements, yours or others. Are they common in the area? Is mold a problem? What about Monolithic slabs? What types of foundations are generally used on new construction?
Our basement is dry, and well built. No mold. Our barn foundation is a monolith. I think the norm is a traditional footer, not monolith. Radon gas has been mentioned a few times. We didn't get tested though.

Quote:
3. What kinds of well depths are found in the Central Region and/or SouthEastern Region?
We had two wells put in. One was 300' the other 800'. Both produce unlimited water

Quote:
4. How is the well water? What sorts of chemicals have been found in yours or others?
We had the water tested. Aside from being slightly hard, it was clear and pure. We use a water softener and a charcoal filter on the fridge. No odor or foul taste.

Quote:
5. Is the soil generally rocky, sandy, clay, etc? If clearing land for a field, for instance, will moving rocks be a major issue like in the Northeast? Is the soil in different areas good or bad for growing?
I've taken out several trees to clear our field. There are stones, but they are few and far between- mostly boulders ranging from softball size to couch cusion size. Nothing like the rocks I picked as a kid in NY. It was endless... Our soil is very nice. Consistency is perfect, soil is a little base. 5.9 I think, but I'm not 100% sure

Quote:
6. What types of things do you grow (fruits and veggies). I want to hear it all!
Corn, beans, potatos, squash, peas, tomatos. Potatos and squash do very well in my area.

Quote:
7. Are there any Cooperative Extensions locally or through the University that offer classes on food prep- canning, drying, etc? I know quite a bit about Alaska flora/fauna, but that won't do me much good down there.
My neighbor know everything, so I depend on her!

Quote:
8. How many pounds of meat do you usually end up with after you bone out your deer? Are they at all similar to Sitka Deer? They will get you maybe 50-60 lbs of meat. Is is difficult to get a hunting license as a new resident?
Hunting license? Whats that? Just kidding...sort of. Deer are about the same size I remember from NY.

Quote:
9. What are some examples on prices for groceries- milk, cheese, butter, eggs, etc? Trying to figure some budgeting ideas since I have been in Alaska so long.
Hmmm... wife isn't here to answer that one. As we do organic, our stuff is a bit more. Milk, eggs, butter and cheese all come from the Amish farm.

Quote:
10. What restrictions are there on building your own home? We are looking at something a little non-traditional, but aren't sure how it will fly in terms of zodes and such.
No restrictions! Just don't buy in a sub division, or property that has Deed restrictions. If the power company (Appalacian Power for me) has to hook up the meter, it must have an Inspection tag from the county. Tax assesor will want to look at the place too.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 PM

566 posts, read 1,578,328 times
Quote:
Hello All,

1) Frost line is 18".

2) You'll find both, it usually just depends on the terrain and builder preference.

3) I'll say 20 to 150ft.

4) Purity depends on the area. The well at our farm used to be the best water I could find, it has changed to a nasty sulphur.

5) Clay is predominate, in my opinion.

6) Just about any veggie you can find anywhere. Grapes and even had a peach tree survive on the west side of the house.

7) I've not checked, but I know you can find anything on the internet.

8) About the same, 50-70lbs. Must have passed a hunter safety course, or swear you hunted with a license last year.

9) Milk- $2.99/gal, eggs- 1.60/doz., bread- 2.59 for the good brands.

10) Building codes vary depending on the county or city. Some counties have no code, but want you to have a building permit so they know to come and appraise for taxes. They will be testy if they find you built something three years ago.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
1) They will be testy if they find you built something three years ago.
It's not quite "finished"... When it's finished I'll call you right away!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM

566 posts, read 1,578,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
It's not quite "finished"... When it's finished I'll call you right away!
Don't need to call me, but they will be testy, since they apparently don't know you are building something. Shoot, I got chewed for extending my deck and not notifying the assessor. I guess that's why they have people out driving around looking for new construction.

Don't know where you are, but a 12" frost line is awfully shallow for this area, I wouldn't think 100 or so miles south would make that much difference. Has it heaved yet?

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 04-07-2009 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: frost line

Old 04-07-2009, 09:10 PM

300 posts, read 819,589 times
I'm new, but here's some what I looked at before moving here.

West Virginia Active Water Level Network
USGS -- Water Resources of the United States

Arsenic in Groundwater
The National Atlas of the United States of America

Experts say, "there is no perfect arsenic map", so you'll find other maps, i.e.,
http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2000/fs063-0...63-00_fig3.jpg

If you research the North Carolina side of this contamination, you'll find arsenic mines in the past (and it's just my opinion, NC side of the divide seem a bit more saavy to filter for it than WV'rs). Mining in general contributes to arsenic levels (i.e., Arizona has copper mining and arsenic), but some arsenic levels in groundwater just occur naturally.

I am no expert. And that said, though arsenic is known cancerogen, injesting it in very small quantities is, to my knowledge, relatively harmless, because your body naturally flushes it out. The exception being your largest organ -- skin, does not. So for example, after a year of exposure, other tests might not show any arsenic, but hair, nails, and skin would show the exposure.

It's off-topic, but arsenic can also be inhaled from ciggarettes. Don't know about cigars.

Don't remember the town, but if you research the area around Whitesville, I remember something about the water contamination from surface mining in one town is so bad they have to import water. Ashland (KY), tri-state area, has contamination, not sure of the source, and though nobody will say it, that's why the land is so cheap.

Documentary : "Toxic West Virginia".
TOXIC* - WEST VIRGINIA - Part*1*of*5 - VBS.TV

YouTube - Toxic West Virginia: Mountaintop Removal- Episode 1

Other resources : Anti-surface mining, or mountaintop removal (MTR) activist organizations might be of some assistance in pin-pointing contaminated areas.

I'm not saying all this for doom and gloom. I think you're on the right track doing your research.

Welcome.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 PM

300 posts, read 819,589 times
Quote:
I'm just starting my gardening . . more digging right now than actual planting. I have clay, can almost sculpt with it.

West Virginia has so many deer it's a problem, and I've been feeding the herd that lives on my hill in Charleston. Strawberries they mow.

I've had success so far with these two being left alone :
Blackberries - Apache Thornless
Grapes - Reliance Pink Seedless
I have blueberries they haven't touched yet, but don't feel confident confirming them because the leaves are just coming out. We'll see.

As I find others not on the menu, I'll note them if you're interested. But that's how I'm approaching gardening. Trial and error.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:17 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Natural Lead deposits occur in Wv mountain rock strata above 2000 ft.
Some small mountain towns have had water problems with this element in the past.
High cancer rates from the water...I won't name them, here.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Don't need to call me, but they will be testy, since they apparently don't know you are building something. Shoot, I got chewed for extending my deck and not notifying the assessor. I guess that's why they have people out driving around looking for new construction.

Don't know where you are, but a 12" frost line is awfully shallow for this area, I wouldn't think 100 or so miles south would make that much difference. Has it heaved yet?
LOL, I wasn't speaking to "you" when I said I'd call when it's finished! I was pretending to tell the assesor that when he showed up to give me grief.

No heaving (or cracks/settling) in my basement, or the barn. The guy I had do my concrete work has been putting in foundations and footers for 30 years. He's regarded as the best in the area. Given the wait I endured to get his services, I'd believe it. The barn foundation went in in October, so it's only one winter old. So far, no cracks or settling.

***Edit: Just to clarify, my foundation isn't 12"! I have a 30". Maybe that's where I wasn't clear.

Last edited by Hinton Bound; 04-08-2009 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-08-2009, 06:15 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
See below.

Quote:
Hello All,

Quote:
Totally depends on your area and most importantly county or city codes. For example- Charles Town WV in the Eastern Panhandle requires 30" deep footers even though the frost line may be 18". Southern WV may be less than that.

Quote:
Basements are common, especially in the hilly terrain (walk-outs). Eastern Panhandle areas had a lot of crawl and slab too. Mostly standard concrete/block type. Please look at this site, good stuff about soil issues in WV WVGES: Homeowner's Guide to Geologic Hazards

Quote:
Depends on the site. I used to live in Jeffereson and Berkeley County (eastern panhandle). Houses were less than 5 miles as the crow flies. In one, the geography was limestone and the well was 300'+ deep, hard but good water with a flow of around 3-5gpm. The other place was shale, hit water at 80' at a rate of 30gpm, but the water quality sucked. Had to go deeper but still hit sulpher BAD.

Quote:
No chemicals, just hydrogen sulfide which stunk like a skunk.

Quote:
Totally depends on where you are at. Could be clay, could be shale or other. Low lands in the hollws are rich and fertile, hills are scrabble, mountains damned tough to grow.

Quote:
In Jefferson county we grew tomatos, corn, black eye peas, green beans, squash, butter beans, okra, onions, potatos, kale, mustard, cabbage and even peanuts. Growing zones are diverse in this state, and some areas have micro climates. Check the county extension offices for info.

Quote:
There are co-ops/extensions in each county, check here for info Horticulture & Gardening 2 . I learned to can pretty young, and we use the book published by Ball jars as a guide if we aren't sure.

Quote:
An average sized deer here is smaller than an average sized deer in the Eastern Panhandle. we harvest about 4-5 a year and I average about 40lbs of boned meat p/deer, including neck and flank.

Quote:
Cheaper than Alaska, lol.

Quote:
Depends on the county or town you are in. Most do not have restrictions, but check anyway.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia