Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:49 AM

6 posts, read 12,654 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have been researching West Virginia a lot and I have noticed most of the small towns I looked at send the kids to a big school in a larger area. Does anybody know of a place there with smaller public schools? Also, does anybody know anything about Vienna? It seems like a nice place. How would I look for a rental in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,970,690 times
Harman High School... I'm actually an alumnus ha ha Class of 2005. I live about 20 miles from the school and I'm actually in the Elkins district but I transferred to Harman High School to be in a single A school over a triple A school. The town has around 150 people in it, but the area has about 1000 people or so.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Harman-West-Virginia.html

Vienna is a nice town... I can't really call it a "town or city" though, even though it technically is. It is basically a part of Parkersburg. It is where the mall is located and is the main shopping area for the region. The houses there are newer than in Parkersburg. My boy friends grandparents have lived in the same house in Vienna since the 60's.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:44 PM

967 posts, read 2,987,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Harman High School... I'm actually an alumnus ha ha Class of 2005.
2005... I think I might cry.

Hinton (Summers county) is a small town with the Elementary, Middle, and HS all located in town. The HS is actually a mile or two outside the actual town, but the Elementary and Middle are right there in town.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 AM

14 posts, read 63,163 times
Hello ebsfac! You may be interested in Fayetteville as well. It has smaller Elementary schools, a middle school and small High School. In fact, my family and I will be fully moved into our new house there when school is out. My son, who will be in the 3rd grade next year will be going to Fayetteville Elementary, which as around 400 students. I will have a bit longer commute to my job in Charleston now, but I will be closer to family. We all really like the area.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 AM

275 posts, read 705,671 times
Keyser. It's in Mineral County and has it's own elementary and middle school, as well as Keyser High School. (I'm an alumni!!)

Also, technically in the same city, but it got it's own name, right outside of there is New Creek, WV. They have their own Elementary school, but since they are right beside Keyser, kids go there for middle and High school. (I grew up in New Creek.) Up the mountain is Elk Garden and there are a few schools up there too.

Mineral county is in the eastern panhandle of WV. About 45 mins. from Cumberland, MD, a few hours from D.C and Baltimore. Not huge, but not a blip on the map. Keyser is the county seat, but there are also the towns of Fort Ashby, Short Gap, nearby is Hampshire county with Romney, etc...

There are loads of little towns throughout WV, you just have to look for them. I transplanted from there to Huntington and was in for quite a culture shock! I thought this city was HUGE!.

Still miss that small town feel though.

Good luck! Look around! WV has loads of surprises doesn't it?

Old 04-19-2009, 12:32 PM

515 posts, read 774,714 times
Putnam County has Buffalo High School - A, Poca High School - AA, Winfield and Hurricane - AAA. Each are located in their own little community with Hurricane being the biggest. Each has a middle school nearby with the exception of Buffalo. Kids attend George Washington Middle School and split from there to go to Poca and Buffalo with the majority of them going to Buffalo. Here's a link if you're interested.

Putnam County Schools

Old 04-19-2009, 07:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,215,559 times
Every high school in Wetzel County is close to its "feeder" elementary/middle school.

Short Line School (Reader) is about 3-4 miles from Valley HS (Pine Grove).
Long Drain School (Metz) graduates go to Hundred HS.
Paden City Elementary --> Paden City High.
New Martinsville School --> Magnolia High in New Martinsville.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM

938 posts, read 2,889,026 times
If you are looking at Vienna, look a tad further North at Williamstown. Small town, small high school. Vienna sends all of their kids to Parkersburg High.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,362,418 times
Paw Paw in Morgan County has 1 school that goes from K-12.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 PM

6 posts, read 12,654 times
Thank you all for your responses! I think it will be a while yet before we move but I am glad to know there is a lot more of what I am looking for than what I had been able to find online before. I will definitely look into the towns you all have mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia