U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 780,048 times

Advertisements

Sharedspirit, what is a comphrey plant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:56 AM

404 posts, read 813,173 times
I spelled it wrong....sorry! It's comfrey. Comfrey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I swear by it for soaking cuts or bruises!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:19 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,778,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Planting Tomatoes cont.

That's a trick...about circling the hole with the stem...don't break it, just give that plant the rooting it deserves...It will pay you back by growing twice as high or long...
and those milk jugs?
Little incubators.
In the eastern mountains they are used by the thousands...take off the caps and let them do their work as little greenhouses for those plants...

Dogwoods in blossom...you know what that means...
Those plastic jugs have traditionally been my home made ice melt scoopers cut on diagonal, but that makes perfect sense now that you said it. I think I saw a farmer blog in PA that does it that way few years back. I guess it protects them from any frost that comes by in dicey april weather. They werent the milk jugs, though, they were the clear 2 liter soda bottle tops cut in half. Cap off just like you said.

I noticed this past year that winter comes late in WV. I got by with a wool sweater & hat outdoors for the whole month of november and didnt start worrying where I put my coat until december. Floor furnace went on after thanksgiving because nite temps were creeping low.

Taters, carrots, cauliflower like cold, right? I'm thinking if I set up my cold frames now I can stretch the season a good long while. I saved the old windows when I replaced with new so all I've got to do is get some hinges and I'm in like flynn. Maybe strip the old paint off and do some layers of tung oil to preserve the wood better for the long haul. Fits perfectly with my terraced slope instead of tacky rails put up everywhere.

Who knows when to plant pumpkins so they're ready for halloween and thanksgiving?

Shared-- my friend from carolina goes by squirels ear too lol. She also says to plant the 3 sisters with each other for mutually beneficial soil- corn beans and squash- what one takes out the other puts back.

Before the bugs start chomping on things, does anyone know how to deal with them without getting nasty bug spray? Corn growers- a tip from my carolina friend-- if you see one ear with black powder on it, cut out those ears immediately. Trying to wash it or clean it- The powder will only come back and spores will spread to whole crop. Some kind of fungus if I recall right.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:40 PM

2,383 posts, read 4,520,649 times
HL,

If you want your pumpkins to hold off till Halloween or later, I wouldn't plant them until Memorial Day, maybe as late as mid-June. I've found that they're pretty frost-sensitive. They won't grow much bigger than they are on October 1, anyway.

Just line up a good manure supply, the more you feed them, the bigger they grow.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,819,982 times
Buy a regular size box for powdered milk to feed them...old farmers secret...pail of cows milk once in a while, slopped on the vines grew giant pumkins.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:44 PM

I was out back checking on the ramps that I transplanted when I looked up on the hill a little farther and saw a huge patch of paw paw trees. I never knew they were there. From what I've read so far, the fruit will be ready sometime between late August to October. That's if the possums and squirrels don't get them first. Then what do I do with the fruit? I've never had paw paw before.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:16 PM

Google results for searching for recipe paw paw.

Just a quick glance at the results showed paw paw chutney, paw paw pies, pp ice cream, pp cakes, bread, salad, wines (hmmm), e t c .

Old 05-15-2009, 06:37 PM

ohhhh, I vote for paw paw ice cream! hmmm, now how to keep the critters from eating them all!

Thanks for the links!

Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 PM

If you have tomatoes or other temperature sensitive plantings in the garden, better get 'em covered.

Western PA and Northern and Central WV have a frost warning for tonight. Clear skies will allow the temp to drop into the low 30s by morning.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:11 PM

We held off putting our tomotoes in the ground yesterday because of the frost. We put old sheets over most of our sensitive plants. I'm hoping it doesn't get as cold as they say it's going to get. I'm worried all the cherries on our trees won't get hurt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia