U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 AM

11,962 posts, read 7,023,273 times
Family emergency put me on the road a few weeks. Folks are lost without a villain?

Have to finish getting my seeds in the ground. Pole beans are confusing me-- not sure where to situate them without taking over the place. (Chicken wire fence really enough?) Bush beans should behave I think, but that's plan B for the season.

Alice come on and tell me how i'm doing it all wrong so I've got a shot at having a greener thumb this year. I can take it, I got my big girl panties on. The good news so far is lavender is taking off in leaps and bounds since it wintered over. Thyme is flowering too! Boxwood shrubs have to be transplanted so I think mushroom compost should help them along to get established before fall. I was too chicken to risk it last fall.

Pretty trees full blooming purple (look like lilac blooms) on the ride down 64 towards va... rained so much I was seeing waterfalls between hinton and beckley. Mighty purty but saw no scenic overlook pull offs for pics.

Economic news bush beans have positive outlook but retail of radishes has slumped for 2 months straight. Radical ancho peppers and roma tomatoes threaten to undermine democracy as we know it, or as we never wanted to know it because we were too fat dumb and happy forgetting to pay our real dues.

Latest celeb gossip update- I'm being romanced by a chef wooing me with promises of ramp prepared in a casserole from his daddy's land in pocohontas cty. I've given him some sprigs of thyme to make him blush. He is mightily impressed with my ability to order out from a menu and my lucille ball antics in the kitchen make him grateful to have it all to himself.

We all caught up now? Oh wait-- what have y'all been up to besides wondering where i've been?!!! hahahahhaaa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:19 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 738,204 times
So glad to see that you are well, did you miss us?

Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,267,168 times
Now that you are back...those pole beans will do better when the soil warms a little more...end of the month...or early June...60 days will harvest early August...

Old 05-13-2009, 11:36 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,842,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Alice come on and tell me how i'm doing it all wrong so I've got a shot at having a greener thumb this year. I can take it, I got my big girl panties on.
Well, I am so glad you showed back up to tell us what panties you are wearing. I just bite folks about moving to WV or complaining about WV. I'm pretty melancholy about nearly everything else. You do your gardening your way and that suits me just fine.

Glad you are back in the fold

Old 05-13-2009, 11:48 AM

BJC, absolutely. Y'all are great company- laptop on my porch sipping tea. It's watching the rest of the world puts me in such a foul mood. Just ask aliceT, she knows.

DK I've noticed its been very cool at night still. Maybe I should just start them indoors in peat pots like the chives. Hardening off when i start with open window should be a cinch. Says 10 day germination, 62 day harvest. These are supposed to be early blue lake beans but did i confuse myself by 'early maturing' label? Guess i should just forget about messing up and experiment 50/50. I couldn't possibly grow all the seeds in this packet for personal use.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM

alice i dont really have a way. I'm winging it ROFL.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 738,204 times
HL have you been watching our baby eagle? The link is on page 4 or 5 mid way down in another post

Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,183,403 times
Here is Flyboy!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:02 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,842,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
alice i dont really have a way. I'm winging it ROFL.
Don't tell anyone, but put a half teaspoon of Epsom salt around the base of everything you plant. As you water, they will feed the roots. Alternately, you can put a tablespoon in a gallon of water and shake until it is dissolved and use that to water your plants. Don't tell anyone though, it is a carefully guarded secret.

Watch, someone is going to say something like *don't put salt on your plants, it'll kill em.* Never fails.

Trust me on this, use Epsom salt on your plants. More plant feeding directions can be found right on most packages of Epsom salt.

Last edited by AliceT; 05-13-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 12:23 PM

LOL alice thanks. Rabbit manure is safe to use on tomato plants without burning them too. Got more stray cats than we can shake a stick at here, but have yet to see a rabbit yet. Cat manure good for anything??? hahahhahaaaa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia