Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 03:23 PM

18 posts, read 49,355 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I are trying to leave Oklahoma. He completely hates it here. West Virginia and Wisconsin are on our short list of states. I've been trying to find jobs online to apply for but there just aren't that many. Are there just not a lot of accounting jobs in the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,355,977 times
Where online are you looking? Best bet would be to try a local paper - for Charleston it's Charleston Newspaper - Gazette-Mail Jobs powered by Yahoo! HotJobs

However, I'd say most jobs are obtained by resumes submitted to a company directly for their files when they have an opening. Don't know if it is true for all, but my hubby normally hires people already living in the state.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 PM

26 posts, read 75,328 times
bureau of the public debt - in parkersburg ... federal job, great benefits almost all accounting related i would imagine - big employer, not a lot of jobs posted for this 2 week period, but i'd imagine they post frequently -

Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 PM

4,937 posts, read 8,899,474 times
Here's the link for the local paper in Huntington as well as a link from yahoo jobs. Hope this helps and good luck! Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Tim

JOBS - Find jobs and quality employees
accounting jobs in Huntington, WV - Yahoo! Hotjobs (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-search-l-Huntington-WV-k-accounting - broken link)

Old 05-04-2009, 09:43 PM

2,017 posts, read 4,586,534 times
Depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking to work at one of the major accounting firms the only one that has an office in West Virginia is Ernst and Young and it is located in Charleston. I majored in Finance/Economics and didn't really find work in West Virginia, at least not in the corporate consulting field. If you are looking to go into industry then I'm sure you could probably find something with a manufacturing firm or perhaps energy company but given the state of the economy right now nationwide many places simply aren't hiring..the one exception currently is the federal government.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:24 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Part of the problem I'm having is that I either want a government job (I've applied for all of them that I'm qualified for) or a job in non-profit. I hate doing taxes so most jobs with public accounting firms just aren't a good fit for me. And I'm being picky this time around.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,355,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armychicmkm View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Part of the problem I'm having is that I either want a government job (I've applied for all of them that I'm qualified for) or a job in non-profit. I hate doing taxes so most jobs with public accounting firms just aren't a good fit for me. And I'm being picky this time around.
You are brave going into the non-profit sector at this time - all are having a rough time due to the economy.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:25 AM

The non-profit I'm looking at is all government-related. School districts and housing authorities mostly.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:28 AM

2,017 posts, read 4,586,534 times
If you are looking for non-profit government related you could always apply for jobs in DC and take the commuter train in from the Eastern Panhandle of WV. It is about an hour and a half ride from both Jefferson County rail stations but it sure beats the multiple hour long commute you will endure driving on jam packed roads heading into job centers closer to the Beltway.

Harpers Ferry or Shepherdstown in Jefferson County are both nice combinations of metropolitan (sort of) sophistication in historic small town settings. Charles Town isn't bad either although it is becoming increasingly suburban especially areas on the outskirts of town. Just depends on what you are looking for I guess.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 AM

I would LOVE to work in DC. My husband is one of my biggest career problems though he isn't trying to be. Anytime he hears the words "cosmopolitan", "metropolitan", "suburbs", "traffic", and "commute" he gets instantly turned off. That's what happens when city girl marries backwoods country boy, I suppose . He's literally from a town of 47 and grew up about a mile into the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia