U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2009, 10:15 PM

223 posts, read 710,789 times

Advertisements

I know the thread topic is strange, but I have got to discuss this and get advice.

My husband was at his CDL class tonight, and the men in the class are all native to WV, whereas my husband and I are from NJ and only lived here in WV for 2 years now.

So they were talking about hunting and my husband mentioned that we love to hike in the woods with our 2 small children.

They proceeded to warn him about being in the woods when I'm menstruating, because animals (bears) are attracted to the scent. That didn't make any sense to me because I read of studies that were done that didn't show any correlation between higher attacks against women who are menstruating.

Also, I've been around horses (they weren't stallions though) and around steer a number of time, I'm sure I was menstruating at least one of those times (sorry to get gross here), and the animals didn't act any different around me any of those times.

So is this just a 'rural myth?'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 03:26 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,702,910 times
A bear has a good nose and can track a scent at a 5 mile distance, I am told.
If this problem really existed, I think we would hear of more frequent bear attacks in the summer camping areas.
As it is now, we rarely hear of a bear attack anywhere.
They are docile creatures and usually use 'flight to escape a problem situation.
They are curious too, if they see a person in their territory they sometimes will check things out. And I say that by experience, as I saw the biggest bear of my life 2 years ago, up close and personal and he almost helped me crap my pants. His head was huge and grayish from old age. It was like we were fishing the same area of the stream...I'm sure he had been fishing for trout.

My guess is this:
Those other guys in the class were pulling a fast one on your husband. They evidently liked him enough to play the joke...

Old 05-09-2009, 06:54 AM

246 posts, read 577,542 times
Unlike NJ you can carry weapons here with hollow points if some animal gets out of line but i think they were pulling your chain.(being from NJ) You ain't one of them anti gun types are you?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:29 AM

5,826 posts, read 6,141,889 times
There is no truth to it. Males of most mammal species are only attracted to the estrus of their own species. A cat in heat does not draw the attention of male dogs any more than idle curiosity. Every so often, there comes someone who believes one menstruating female is the same as the next and across species. There is no truth to it, but there is cause for concern with ANY blood, as that DOES attract many species of wild animals as if it were a dinner bell.

I knew a woman farrier who did not stop working on her client's horses during menstruation and she never noticed any difference in the behaviors of the stallions she worked on. Veterinarians are in that category as are horse farm owners, breeders and trainers. Not all are men. But when you introduce blodd of any kind to a wild setting, you are apt to draw a crowd of hungry omnivores.

Read more about it, here - the research on this continues. The Straight Dope: Are bears more likely to attack menstruating women?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:29 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,451,807 times
If it were true, wouldn't every hunting party want to have a menstruating female in the group? Wouldn't outdoor shops be selling little bottles of "eau de femme"?

Next thing, the guys'll be offering to take your hubby on a snipe hunt.

But I agree with DK, it's a sign of acceptance.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks everyone. It just didn't sound right to me and I said to him 'are you sure they weren't joking?' He said they sounded serious. We aren't anti-gun at all, my only experience with guns is shooting a Glock 17 9mm and I'm a darn good shot too We plan on getting a gun one of these days, but we have no problem with the whole pro-gun thing here.

Yes, I agree they were definitely joking, and from what he's told me, he gets along really well with everyone, so I'm glad they saw fit to pull a fast one on him.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Next thing, the guys'll be offering to take your hubby on a snipe hunt.
LOL! When my husband started his first job here in WV, they invited him to go snipe hunting! But he knew, after they told him what snipe hunting was, that they were pulling his chain. My husband said it sounded so stupid it wasn't even funny. But he got along with those guys real good after that. So yeah, my husband is chuckling to himself that they 'got him' with the menstruation joke.

He has something up his sleeve for Monday's class, lol.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:53 PM

427 posts, read 310,599 times
I've been deer hunting for over 30 years and one of the first things I learned was how the bucks let their guard down during the mating season(rut). I've had success with sex attractants that had doe estrous as the main ingredient so I know that stuff works. I personally have never tried using my wife's "sanitary napkin"(now there's an oxymoron) but I knew guys that did and they would swear by it. They say the big bucks come trotting right in.......lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia