U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 AM

27 posts, read 77,827 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
I will be moving to North Carolina in July and plan to cross from western part of country across I-70 and eventually to I-64 and south from there on I-77 and down into NC.
Is this route fraught with any hairy curves, steep changes in elevation or other road worries? I will be driving a small moving truck like a U-haul, not fully loaded but with enough weight to cause some precautionary measures.
I'm seeking not only reassurances, but any additional advise readers may have regarding what time of day to take this drive, any alternative routes, or other advice.
Thanks very much in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:17 AM

4,712 posts, read 11,560,200 times
You will be fine...remember to take a breather for lunch at Tamarac and see the wonders of our West Virginia artisans.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,199,417 times
I-64 is a modern Interstate highway. Speed limits range from 55 to 70mph.

Load your truck with the heaviest items as far forward and as low as possible... for example, if you have a refrigerator, washer, or dryer, load them right behind the cab (and well secured).

Some curvy sections will have heavy truck warning signs, to reduce speed to 55 or 45mph. While your truck probably could handle these at 70, you might want to slow down for the first few until you get the "feel" of how your truck handles.

There will be some long downgrades, also well marked. Again, while it's not necessary, you might want to shift down one gear and let engine braking limit your speed, instead of constantly using the brakes going downhill.

I-64 and I-77, from Charleston to Wytheville, is one of the prettiest Interstate drives in the country. After lunch at Tamarack (Exit 45? in Beckley), take your time and enjoy the views for the next 75 miles.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 AM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,020,723 times
I would suggest that you travel I-77 from Whtheville on south during the day. You will go through Fancy Gap and it is breathtaking! You can see 4-ever!!!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,199,417 times
Wytheville is a major highway hub, at the intersection of I-77 and I-81. Lots of motels, places to eat, gas stations and convenience stores. It's a good spot to stop for the night.

If the timing works out, do lunch and a tour of Tamarack in the early afternoon, drive the WV Turnpike (I-77) from Beckley to Wytheville in the afternoon, overnight in Wytheville, then the stretch of I-77 south to Fancy Gap the next morning.

I think Fancy Gap VA is where the Blue Ridge Parkway crosses I-77. Watch out for fog on that mountain, though.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:55 PM

795 posts, read 1,154,167 times
It's a beautiful drive down there. You just have to watch the flatlanders who creep down the hills and apply their brakes constantly. haha

But really, it is a nice, modern interstate. In fact, the entire state of West Virginia is blessed with modern, but hilly interstates. The Virginia portion is beautiful too. Like others said, Wytheville is a great place to stop and relax. And Tamarack is a must see before you exit West Virginia. It begins to flatten out somewhat the closer to North Carolina you get.

If you ever have the chance, take I-79 north sometime. It's a nice drive too.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,144,409 times
The only problem with I-64 is that it really needs to be 6 lanes from the KY border to Charleston, and possibly 8 lanes from Huntington to Milton. It is in the verge of becoming a parking lot from exit 10 (Huntington downtown) to exit 20 (Huntington Mall in Barboursville.) They've been building new bridges and updating the road in preparation to make in 6 lanes but who knows when that will happen. This is my work commute by the way.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 AM

4,712 posts, read 11,560,200 times
Bridge money has evaporated with the Obama Peristroika...we might be forced to wait for the next election cycle to get road/bridge money if at all...
It looks as if ALL these infrastructure projects will evaporate with RCB.

Mr. Moneyhand has no interests in these unless they feather his own nests..
Rocky? What a Joke he has been for us...GHO, we need some new blood that is not attached to any of the 'Families...and I don't see anybody interested who has the welfare of the people at stake.

Everybody is keeping their mouth shut and hoping that Santa Obama will send down a check...this has been a great exercise in Political Science to see this happen...It's called 'Welfare for the Rich and Titled.

as one man said in a recent meeting....'The Poor? What about them?...We need them...Our jobs would be over if we didn't have the Poor!"

You might not like what I'm saying but you know it's the truth...

Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,156,102 times
mthelan-- I just came back from a trip that way headed to south carolina from charleston. wytheville- i think the econolodge had a billboard advertising $50 nightly and if you mention the billboard you'll get that price. What BJ mentioned about fancy gap-- woweee so true.

The windy curves of 64 seem to mostly be concentrated south of charleston and kanawha city but the signs are very clear as snorpus had mentioned. Yellow caution signs written for truckers apply to you so don't get sloppy and you'll be fine. Mtn driving has it's own requirements. No riding the brakes down hill or you'll burn them out. Good luck on your trip, it's the scenic route, and give yourself some extra time.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:52 AM

27 posts, read 77,827 times
I guess I am worrying too much. You see, I drove from CA to CO through amazing changes in elevation across Utah and of course, across Colorado. Colorado roads were actually really good, well-maintained, clear and wide. Utah was surprisingly bad, with little amenities on the road (100 miles between gas stations at one point). I crossed high points called "Devil's Peak" etc. It was scary and I didn't do my homework in advance.
So this time I just want to be prepared. Are there sharp changes in elevation? The good part is that will be our third day of travel so any problems with the truck should be apparent by then. Does anyone know about the changes in elevation along I-64 to I-77 and then catching up with I-40? I had considered just taking I-40 but more people on a previous post advised I-77 as an alternative.
Thanks for the sightseeing suggestions too. Noone seems to panicky about this drive so I'm feeling a bit calmer. I realize it's probably much easier than my last move, but now I'm driving a moving truck and just want to be safe.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or