U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:11 PM

410 posts, read 1,421,627 times

Advertisements

I am desperately looking for a new place to call home. I am so tired of being called racist (long story but quite common nowadays). I really like small towns where the kids can play in the city parks, ride their bikes, and basically live a normal life. I have a degree in philosophy (useless I know but still fun) and have 12 years of retail and food experience. I only have 5k to move on (coming from Utah) so I will need an apartment at first. I have looked into Ravenswood and liked it but I have never been there. A few questions I have about WV is:
1. Are the schools good? (My son is going on 5 and doing 2nd grade work from home because he couldn't go to pre-k (he was not an English language learner)

2. I love flea markets, swap meets, and all things of the sort. Best place in WV to find that?

3. I need a walkable town until I can get a car.

4. Low crime--especially sexual offenses (we have enough of those here)

5. My son wants to be in scouts (can't here because he doesn't belong to the local church) and soccer. Any places offer those that are available to everyone?

Any ideas? Or should I just give up? Also, I do not speak Spanish and I don't want to learn in order to get a job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM

4,570 posts, read 7,748,940 times
Check out Huntington. Huntington is the flattest city in the state and the only planned city in the state. It is very walkable with things being close by and sidewalks everywhere. Most of the schools in the area are good and most are in new buildings and those that aren't are in the works to have new structures built. Huntington has many community yard sales as well as the Antiques capital of WV in Old Central City. The Milton Flea market is also just down the road and has recently been rebuilt with more expansion on the way. Crime isn't really bad in any WV town unless you are involved in things you shouldn't be. There are many different parks here with Ritter Park being the best of these. Here are some links to check out. Let me know if you need anything else.

Tim

http://www.city-data.com/album/album...-Virginia.html
http://www.greaterhuntington.com/
Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District
Old Central City
Central City Market

Old 05-18-2009, 05:24 PM

25 posts, read 101,722 times
Why do people call you racist?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:37 PM

28 posts, read 72,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAnne View Post
Why do people call you racist?
sounds like this person isn't a fan of the hispanic population.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:53 PM

410 posts, read 1,421,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njac View Post
sounds like this person isn't a fan of the hispanic population.

Maybe I am but that is because of the area I live in. The schools have denied my son head start and pre-k because he already knows English. He is 5 and testing at a second grade level for the advanced kindergarden program but they filled up the English speaking slots so he missed out on that again. The other parents in the apartment complex won't let their kids play with him because he doesn't speak Spanish. I understand enough to know what they are saying but I don't want to tell my son why he can't play with other kids. The jobs in my area are all "must speak Spanish to apply". So, forgive me if I want a better life for my kid. It is not his fault he doesn't speak Spanish. He speaks German and a little French since that is his heritage. His school is 97% Spanish only. So that is why I am wanting to move.

Oh and if you even mention learning English around my area you are dubbed a racist.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,353,568 times
Wv may not be the answer...but what place would be?????
Most scout troops are sponsored by the churches here. We used a great Baptist church for our boys and I still volunteer for their fundraisers..
Huntington has its share of crime because of the downtown college drug trade...this is a perplexing discussion...sorry.

One plus though...the ethicnic groups seem to assimilate into the american culture here...and a Huntington has a lot going for it...I would not recommend Morgantown because of the expansion here....too much chaos.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 PM

11 posts, read 39,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Maybe I am but that is because of the area I live in. The schools have denied my son head start and pre-k because he already knows English. He is 5 and testing at a second grade level for the advanced kindergarden program but they filled up the English speaking slots so he missed out on that again. The other parents in the apartment complex won't let their kids play with him because he doesn't speak Spanish. I understand enough to know what they are saying but I don't want to tell my son why he can't play with other kids. The jobs in my area are all "must speak Spanish to apply". So, forgive me if I want a better life for my kid. It is not his fault he doesn't speak Spanish. He speaks German and a little French since that is his heritage. His school is 97% Spanish only. So that is why I am wanting to move.

Oh and if you even mention learning English around my area you are dubbed a racist.

I am with you Opera Phantom. I want to leave the area I live in because 1/2 the jobs I am qualified for are advertising "bilingual preferred" which means that if one hispanic applies for the job. At the rate of 60% hispanic in my area, that means my chances are slim to find a job. I am sick and tired of people thinking I am a racist while my country is being conquered.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 PM

275 posts, read 656,075 times
I totally agree with Bailey... Huntington is pretty walkable if you live in the downtown/ near downtown areas. I know there are some local churches with scouts and Cabell county schools are not too bad. The Milton flea market is being rebuilt, but is still open. (There was a bad fire not too long ago).

Crime is something you will have to deal with anywhere you go. We have been fortunate and have never, NEVER had a problem with crime personally. We have lived in downtown, west end and are now in Guyandotte and have never had issue with crime. Downtown is closer to campus, so therefore some fast food and some retail shops that would probably love your experience. Check out Pullman Square as far as that goes.

All I can say is that if you can get here to check things out, definitely do that first. WV is a beautiful, welcoming state to most everyone, but it is a personal choice. WV may not be for you, but then again, it may be!

Good luck and I hope you can find a good home here in the Mountain State!

-- also, if you don't find southern WV to your liking, check out also the Eastern panhandle... I am originally from there and Scouting is HUGE up there. eagle scouts, girl scouts, bear cubs, etc... Schools are EXCELLENT and highly recommended. Some areas are more walkable than others though.

Try researching Mineral, Hampshire and Grant counties.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:43 PM

938 posts, read 2,682,326 times
Honestly, I'd look at Parkersburg. It's where I grew up and it sounds right up your alley. You can go weeks without seeing a minority, there is a giant flea market called Rink's, there is a very active scouting program, really good schools, and there is no crime anywhere. Ever. The cops spend their entire careers harassing teenagers.

Personally, I don't ever want to live there because I was bored out of my mind due to the lack of culture and things to do. But for the self-proclaimed xenophobe...it might just be heaven.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 PM

938 posts, read 2,682,326 times
lol...dude, you Huntington people crack me up. You recommend Huntington for everyone that wants anything. One thread you recommend it for a gay fella that wants a multicultural atmosphere...then you recommend it for a person that doesn't want to be anywhere near anything but an overtly white American culture...lol...

Hey, you love your hometown...nothing wrong with that, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia