U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2007, 09:20 PM

21 posts, read 82,204 times
Default Romney-area HighSpeed Internet

Does anyone know what the options are for high-speed Internet connections around Romney? Cable internet doesn't work, because I don't have cable and am prettt far from any lines. The same goes for land-line phones. So I guess wireless broadband or satellite?

The McDonalds in town has WiFi, but I can't soend every working day there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Toadmama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 06:00 AM

1,500 posts, read 4,779,866 times
I know Frontier has internet, if you don't already have a land-line phone you can call them, you may have to purchase a pole but you should be able to get it. As far as I know I don't think satellite offers internet yet, besides you need a phone line for satellite tv as well.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
Smile Yes We Have Internet

Yes We Have Internet,
Even McDonalds and Domino's (Domino's was first) 96KBS 128KBS and T1. Pick your tier. We'ed love to have ya!! Come on up!!! Sam

Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 AM

8 posts, read 15,157 times
Does anyone know if Verizon has any service in the area. Also as far as cable who is the local provider? Comcast, and do they offer High speed internet as well. Thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 AM

1,500 posts, read 4,779,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WV-VB Girl View Post
Does anyone know if Verizon has any service in the area. Also as far as cable who is the local provider? Comcast, and do they offer High speed internet as well. Thanks
I know Verizon has high speed but I have heard or read in the paper that people are complaining about it. I didn't even know that Verizon was in that part of the country.

Here is the link from Morgan Messenger:

http://74.95.82.237:591/mmonline/FMP...2588948&-find=

Old 12-02-2008, 08:01 PM

25 posts, read 35,798 times
Verizon is everywhere now... they absorbed most of the old "Bells". They are a monopoly in The Bell Atlantic and Bell South areas... pretty much everywhere east of the Mississippi... with a few pockets else where. Long live the bourgeoisie!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM

79 posts, read 150,071 times
Verizon came about when Bell Atlantic merged with GTE coming up with the new name of Verizon. SBC(Southwest Bell) merged with AT&T and kept the AT&T name and bought out BellSouth. I wouldn't say these companies are monopoly's now since they have heavy competition from cable,local exchange carriers,voip, and cell-phones.The companies like Verizon and AT&T are still heavily regulated by the government even forced to lease lines and office space to competitors who can go out and sell dial-tone for less.Yet these companies don't have to maintain the lines or do any labor to make their money.It's kinda like Burger King going into McDonalds and setting up a hamburger stand and selling hamburgers for less.

I don't know where you live at in Romney but Frontier may have high speed internet available.Usually you have to be 3 miles from their office or remote terminal site to get it.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:58 PM

8 posts, read 15,157 times
I'll be locating to the Hanging Rock area of Augusta, WV. I have Verizon currently, and I'm satisfied. Its not the best, but certainly beats dinosaur dial up! I'm just looking for something comparable that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Anyone else have any thoughts. We only pay about $36 a month now for a basic phone line and DSL.

When I lived in Mineral County, in Keyser, WV we had Verizon phone service and DSL. It makes not sense to me that one county over would not have the same service available. Go figure.

Last edited by WV-VB Girl; 12-06-2008 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia