Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:05 PM

109 posts, read 439,984 times

Advertisements

I would like opinions how is the beckley area, i dont want to worry about gangs i have small children. My main concern is the safety of my kids . Does any one know how the job market and rental houses are?

thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2006, 07:38 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygrl707 View Post
I would like opinions how is the beckley area, i dont want to worry about gangs i have small children. My main concern is the safety of my kids . Does any one know how the job market and rental houses are?

thank you
Gangs in Beckley Nah!
Nice area Citygrl.

Old 10-07-2006, 12:19 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
I'm looking to move out of TX but one of my main concerns is crime. I'm checking out the mountain areas of VA, NC, TN, and WV.

I just took some time on the (broken link) website regarding VIOLENT crime. I believe I've checked out every city mentioned on this post and on a scale from 1 to 10, they all rated 3 or higher. Beckley was a 6 and Morgantown, a 5. Those were the only two I wrote down pertaining to a high rating.

Those rated a 2 were Teays Valley, Buchannon, Lewisburg, Williamstown, and Bridgeport. Harper's Ferry was a 1.

So for anyone interested in the violent crime rate, this is FYI.

Last edited by Yac; 10-08-2006 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: link removed

Old 10-07-2006, 12:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Oh, I forgot to mention that the average crime rate for the entire country is rated a 3.

Old 10-07-2006, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,965 times
Well, I am moving BACK to Williamstown WV cos of layoff from job of 20 yrs here in Fla. Jobs here are awful and pay is not good either if you do get lucky and find job. Rent is going up so high after the hurricanes hit two yrs ago. Taxes are double on homes here now. I don't know what will happen to Daytona in the next five yrs or so. I know many who may end up leaving here too. Part of me is looking forward to move back but I know jobs stink there too. Schools are good tho I don't have any kids. Good luck Citygrl and you may want to check out Pkbg and Williamstown area as far as schools and quiet towns.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 AM

12 posts, read 46,529 times
Default Williamstown

I would also definitely recommend Williamstown. I have grown up here my entire life and have loved it. I graduated from Williamstown High School and felt very prepared for college because of their excellent school system. They score very highly on National testing every year. If you have children, there are many activities to get involved in through the school. Many sports teams, academic teams and several amazing musical groups. Their marching band is one of the best in the state. It's a very good town to raise children.
If you like a smaller, friendly, down- to- earth town, then Williamstown is for you. I am proud to say that I am from Williamstown.
Not enough can be said about Williamstown. You must come and experience it for yourself!

Old 10-17-2006, 03:33 PM

15 posts, read 50,724 times
Default Looking

You will hear good and bad about WV, the truth is ,it is the same as southern Ohio when it comes to roads,granted, car insurance is high in WV. My preference is Parkersburg, but like any place else, it has its downfall neighborhoods, Williamstown--Ripley--Ravenswood-Elizabeth-Mineral Wells- Lubeck-Sissonville-Murphytown- are all laid back communities with good schools and little crime, remember to check the crime index of the place you are interested in, It don't lie and it's on the internet! Good Luck!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,108 times
Default Moved to WV

Hello, I moved my family to central WV from Elyria Ohio. I can tell you I would NEVER, move back to Ohio. West Virginia is a great place to raise your kids. we live in the country, and this type of living shows kids how to live by there skill's. and gives them morals. We have some great collages In Buckhannon alone. one down fall in WV is the auto tax is higher here. but good luck in what ever you decide.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:45 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,949,212 times
I recommend Huntington as a good place to settle. It only slightly smaller than Charleston but has a lower crime rate. Huntington is a well laid out city so even though there is a lot of traffic, you actually move rather than creeping along. Huntington is seeing a lot of new construction and revitalization of its downtown area with the healthcare and biotech job markets really looking to take off. For a nice place to visit, check out Pullman Square in the heart of Downtown. Huntington is also home to Marshall University and in the next 2-3 years, nearly all of the public schools in the area will be new or have just recently been built. The Metro Valley between Huntington and Charleston is arguably the best area in the state in terms of opportunity, healthcare, shopping and things to do. You have good school systems, lots of job opportunites and lots of convenience. Huntington is also about an hour and a half from Beckley and it's a convenient trip down the interstate to get to Bluefield.The park system in Huntington is also one of the nicest if not the nicest in the state. Check out www.greaterhuntington.com and http://www.hadco.org/ for more info.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-06-2006, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,931 times
Default Yeah, but what's in a Mountaineer?

Hi everyone! I myself am considering a move from Minnesota. Born here but we've got two seasons, hot and humid and cold and dreary. I was in the AF and did travel in the eastern part of WV. Man, you guys have got a beautiful state! Minnesota has it's own kinda beauty, but it's flat! I know about the humidity in WV in the summer, but it's a different humidity that I like. Can't explain that. Basically, here's my situation: gay woman, works in healthcare (Respiratory. Would like to get back in the VA hospital system) I'm pretty liberal, but not looking to stuff my lifestyle or beliefs down anyones throat. I'm a live and let live kinda gal. What you do on your side of the property line is your business and vice-versa. I don't mind a 20-30 minute commute or less. I'd like a little variety in restuarants. Chains are okay but what about ethnic? Also, what's the terrain like around Huntington and Charleston vs east?I've done alot of research on this site(very helpful) but was hoping maybe someone could answer my questions. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia