U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM

11,962 posts, read 7,052,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Getting back to the subject of this Thread:

What I'm observing in the public sector is this:

Everybody who can be laid off is being laid off. Goods and services are taking a hit..
I'm estimating a 30% loss in sales revenue...and costs reductions must follow.

That means wages must be used to offset business cost.
Workers left on the job will have longer hours (50 hr work weeks) at the same pay. The choice is 'have the job or not!

I'm waiting to see who is left in the building trades when June 30 rolls around. That's the renewal time for businesses to re-license.

We haven't bottomed out yet...not by a long shot!
Established metro areas elsewhere what you describe above was happening since 80's with few reprieves. They couldn't honestly say boon times when living on perpetual austerity budgets, and what happens when you've had skeleton crews so long that when real cuts are needed, there's no meat left? When there are no nerve endings left in that mules hide to whip? There were advance warnings from every direction for years. Wishing my worries were unfounded didn't make it so.

Were this real capitalism, mgmt salaries would shrink to meet reduced volume & preserve margins. Neither product quality nor remaining market share should be risked, unless obsolescence has been reached (in every industry simultaneously is pretty far fetched). Ask shareholders if they're willing to charitably subsidize executive lifestyles with lesser performance lately? Consider those shareholders are boomer retirement plans in lieu of a pension beat to hell? Wharton & Harvard been churning out socio-pathic cannibals ignoring best practice far too long. Beyond law there's a pitchfork correction factor they've lulled themselves into believing is mythology.

Doesn't matter which party you're in-- you've got to know something has to give or these growing pains are going to get ugly. Equal sacrifices must be made or blood will spill with 90% brackets. That's a prerogative of sovereigns like it or not. That squeeze you speak of goes both ways so best they be getting agreeable because the landscape of artificial wealth was given notice last fall. The momentum for backlash is global, not just by labor forces, but sovereigns themselves destabilized by corporate gypsies. Take more than you give, inevitably you wear out your welcome.

Why on earth should WV aspire to be 'world class' considering the grander scheme? Souths gonna do it again, Atlanta was looking like a solid economic force, ICE futures London triangle getting center stage... how much of that city is in foreclosure now and why? Think they'll own it or are they resurrecting Sherman again, them damn yankees done it to 'em? Rural red cousin NC went blue because they were looking for handouts and/or have a sudden hankering for communism???! I wouldn't say that to their face if I were you. Zoiks lightening just struck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:57 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,288,189 times
Management salaries are being downsized...by laying off the workers and having management take up the slack by working an extra 10 hours per week...

The WRITING is on the wall with the expiration of the tax cuts...that's when business will make the great migration out...didn't Bill Gates say he would move his employees out of the country?
That's 35,000 employees, if he moves everybody...and the countries are lining up for this...Ireland is in the lead with incentives to make it happen. faith en begorra!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:07 PM

Ireland just last fall was arguing over budget cuts between elderly getting health care or kids going to school. Attending first grade at 12yrs old isn't exactly nation building. The seniors on pensions were calling their side of the argument legalized euthanasia. Plaintiff wail to the church. I'm reminded there's a reason my ancestors left. Bless and release.

However, when AIG was telling Ireland they were too big to fail, Ireland told them we're too small to support you- kiss my blarney stone. Yup, that's kin alright.

Incentives for sovereigns are for self preservation and corporations shopping for deals aren't going to find free lunch out of the industrialized world. Ghanna, Nigeria, Sudan, Ethiopia and Liberia can all offer them bargains, but I'm not sure they know what it will cost them.

Buck up spendthrift captains of industry, there's always Dubai... The dark side of Dubai : worldnews

Old 06-10-2009, 11:35 PM

Large convention in southern Wv this week to communicate the direction of coal.

What would work is to have Wv become a sovereign nation and tell the USA to go pedal turnips.

California could be allowed this luxury as they are bankrupted from government costs and effects and the Obama money machine has broken the print rollers.

Without coal, Wv is not feasable fiscally.
Would be nothing to tax....No coal severance money and the roll over from the worker wages (20:1) and the taxation from that would be about 30% of the state budget.

The killer has been the fact that Wv has ran the state with NO PEOPLE...just in the last 3 years, has Charleston been able to bring the state personell up to sub-par levels...

Without tax money means NO Service....and not even having the personell to operate the federal programs that are must haves!

Wonder where the treehuggers will go for their welfare checks when the money runs out?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Without coal, wv is not feasable fiscally....
and whomever means to shut down coal wholesale had better get a grip on reality. Does WV have a blarney stone? hahahahahaa

We need a blarney stone, just don't let it be coal. Diversity you know. There will be ramp, and coal, and a blarney stone for tourism looking for KKK and deliverence. Might as well put on a show, and speaking of which, where's aliceT these days anyhow? Maybe I should stalk her in the gardening forum where the other bigfoots hide.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 AM

We have diversity: Coal, Gas, Oil, Timber, Water, Wind, Labor, Stone, Sand and Gravel, Dirt for farming, tourism and gambling, Beauty in the Parks and general land.

Compared to some, we have it all...the irony is the poverty and general uneducation of the masses.

Why is that disease allowed to spread? I will answer my own question.

"It's not in the best interests of the controllers of Wv to educate our people and release them from poverty."

Wv is one of the Signature Welfare States...if you solve the Welfare Problem, what would 30% of the workforce do who work in that system. Lot of money involved and lost if you cure the problem.
I believe California has taken over our First Place Status with the flood from Mexico.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:40 PM

121 posts, read 180,872 times
Quote:
We have diversity: Coal, Gas, Oil, Timber, Water, Wind, Labor, Stone, Sand and Gravel, Dirt for farming, tourism and gambling, Beauty in the Parks and general land.

Compared to some, we have it all...the irony is the poverty and general uneducation of the masses.

Why is that disease allowed to spread? I will answer my own question.

"It's not in the best interests of the controllers of Wv to educate our people and release them from poverty."

Wv is one of the Signature Welfare States...if you solve the Welfare Problem, what would 30% of the workforce do who work in that system. Lot of money involved and lost if you cure the problem.
I believe California has taken over our First Place Status with the flood from Mexico.
The "controllers" of wv were the same ones who had that coal forum this week you mentioned. People like Art Kirkendall, president of logan county commission, and coal company shill. Of course, he's sucked his way onto the state payroll, so he gets a nice big fat paycheck from the state, while he shills for the coal companies too.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Was the Gov at that coal forum?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM

121 posts, read 180,872 times
Quote:
Was the Gov at that coal forum?
Nah, don't think the gov was there. I wasn't there either. But on hoppy's radio show, they were broadcasting live from there, that's how I know Kirkendall was there, I listened to the radio show. They interviewed him on the show.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 AM

The success or failure of this state will hinge on the decisions these 'controllers make.

I'm missing Hoppy's show because the Mall filters out some radio frequency band widths...

I asked about the Gov because he is one of the leaders of the scab coal strip-mining companies.

He would have a particular, vested interest in what was said and done at that meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia