U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 PM

300 posts, read 715,858 times

Advertisements

DK's thread :
http://www.city-data.com/forum/west-virginia/627560-west-virginia-victory-garden.html

My Location : Charleston
Humble beginnings . . starting from scratch (digging up sod), and figuring this out as I go.

Blueberries :
Planted half-dozen of two different species in spring. Will add a dozen more in autumn for a small patch for next year. They don't like being transplanted initially, but soon recover. Deer nibbled on young leaves, left them alone after I planted English Lavendar with them. Lavendar also attracts bees.
Blueberry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Lavender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Scientists at the U.S. Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Center have found that blueberries rank No. 1 in antioxidant benefits, compared to 40 other fresh fruits and vegetables. Antioxidant help neutralize harmful "free radicals" that can lead to cancer and other age-related diseases. The total antioxidant capacity of blueberries (24 mcgmol Trolox equivalents per gram) is twice that of spinach and three times that of oranges. This extraordinary fruit is also rich in pectin, a soluble fiber that has been shown in several research studies to be effective in lowering cholesterol.
Notes : Began ripening mid-June. Currently unfertilized other than mulched with leaves. Vowed to deer if they nibbled now, I'm having venison soon thereafter. Bugs mostly don't bother them. Rating : Low Maintenance.

If anybody has any tried and true methods for improving crops of blueberries, I'd be interested. Thanks.

Last edited by red.ochre; 06-13-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 02:11 PM

I planted Reliance Grapes, a pink seedless variety purported to do well in West Virginia, I think was engineered in Arkansas.
UA patents new grape for Mid-South
http://www.aragriculture.org/horticu...s/reliance.htm

Useful :
Growing Grapes in West Virginia
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1423.html

Nutrient :
http://grapesweb.com/grapes/Health+Benefits+of+Grapes
http://health.learninginfo.org/grapes.htm

re : Charleston
"Wine production is limited in this AVA, with most of the vineyards planted to French-American hybrids. The first commercial winery in the state, Fisher Ridge, began operation in the AVA in 1979. The Kanawha River AVA benefits from the moderating influence of the river, and local winds decrease susceptibility to fungal diseases which plague the Mid-Atlantic States. Little activity has occurred in the AVA since 1979, although three other wineries now call the southwestern region, if not the AVA, home. "
http://wine.appellationamerica.com/wine-region/West-Virginia.html

Companion planting :
I planted one Concord Vine between every 2 Reliance Vines, and though both species are hermaphrodite (self-fertilizing), this interspecies growing method has worked well for me before. Noted that blackberries near grapes are producing more fruit than those standing alone, so I'll move my blackberries in autumn. In the past, I've planted fennel at the base of vines to attract butterflies.

Notes : Watered on dry days during flowering late May. Currently unfertilized other than mulched with leaves. Rating : Low maintenance.

Last edited by red.ochre; 06-13-2009 at 02:35 PM..

Old 06-13-2009, 06:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 11,664,143 times
Cover the blueberries with cheese cloth or tight netting...

Free Radicals?

Don't forget to plant Peppermint and Spearmint...dry for tea...cut the stalks at the bottom when in bloom and stuff in a pillowcase and hang to dry...cut the stalks and leaves to seperate...twist the stalks and break the stems to put in the tea boiler...a good year will yield about 3 crops/cuttings.

We have been doing this on this farm since the 1920's.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Free Radicals?
Montani Semper Liberi

Re : mints . . thanks. Have to do more digging first and make beds, but it's in the queue.

Planted onions in April, but will plant them in March next year. Pretty sure I can get two crops of onions per year. Planted yellow squash in May but it didn't start growing til' June so I'll wait til' June to plant it next year. Both should be ready for harvest July 1st. Currently unfertilized other than mulched with leaves. Rating : Low maintenance.

Regardless of what a store says, deer eat the hell out of blackberry plants. Noted they have more blooms if companion planted (next to another flowering plant, i.e., grapes). Might not be worth the effort growing them since I can pick them wild, and they tend to shrivel or drop their fruit if not enough rain. Rating : Medium maintenance.

Last edited by red.ochre; 06-16-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,353,355 times
R- a warning about those mints-- they tend to be invasive so be sure to put up barriers where you mean to draw the line for them. How is your crop turning out?

Old 08-24-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
R- a warning about those mints-- they tend to be invasive so be sure to put up barriers where you mean to draw the line for them. How is your crop turning out?
Yeah, give em' an inch, they'll take a (back)yard. Mints poison the ground too, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for strawberries, blackberries, and rasberries though.

Apparently, I can grow the hell out of squash and tomatoes in West Virginia. Parsley, celery, cilantro . .

Brussel sprouts aren't as big or pretty as store bought, but that's my fault. There's stuff I didn't know with my first attempt. Will do better next year.

Last edited by red.ochre; 08-24-2009 at 03:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or