Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times

Advertisements

Global warming guru James Hansen, Daryl Hannah, and other outsiders will be protesting mt top mining in Beckley tomorrow.

Lots of issues here which are distressing.....
Hansen is a huge supporter of the controversial IPCC report which is the basis for the Cap & Trade bill which will zonk all of us

These people care and know NOTHING about WV -- this whole mt. top removal protest is just another ploy to promote Cap & Trade

Massey is asking Hansen for a debate on GW
(Gore has been challenged by others for a debate).
None of these GW people will debate.

Quote:
Massey CEO Don Blankenship wants to debate with Dr. James Hansen, a NASA scientist, who is planning to protest outside a Massey owned mine next week in Raleigh County.

Hansen will be joined by film actress Daryl Hannah and former West Virginia Secretary of State and Congressman Ken Hechler Tuesday at Marsh Fork Elementary in Raleigh County. The publicity for this event Tuesday states that it will begin a year of activism to stop mountaintop removal mining.
Massey CEO Challenges Protester to Global Warming Debate
Quote:
As Hansen, Gore, and the other so-sure-of-themselves climate alarmists refuse to debate this issue, it seems a metaphysical certitude the NASA official won't accept Blankenship's invitation.
Coal CEO Challenges NASA's Hansen to a Global Warming Debate | NewsBusters.org
Quote:
As Dr. Hansen and his out of state environmental supporters plan their demonstrations......
recently at a protest at Massey Energy's Twilight Mine .........
14 protestors – mostly from states such as Maine, Michigan, Oklahoma and Florida
Coal CEO Challenges NASA's Hansen to a Global Warming Debate | NewsBusters.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 07:59 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
All they could get was Daryl Hannah? Has she appeared in anything in the last 30 years?

Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM

25 posts, read 107,554 times
HOPPY KERCHEVAL said on his show this morning that Hansen had accepted the invitation.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,312,547 times
If Jane Fonda shows up I'll take my Cap and Ball...I mean Cap and Trade....

Darryl Hanna? Saving the whales? Now saving us from coal...how are those rich Texans going to place all those windturbines in southern Wv, if we can't get the land ready for development?

Will MoJo be there to direct traffic?

Sounds like a great big POT party in the making to me! Where's Abby Hoffman?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 PM

128 posts, read 443,841 times
I always laugh at the "outsider" tag applied by the coal-bots to the tree huggers.

The real "outsiders" are the coal companies who have been shipping their profits off WV coal, by the billions, to their homes in virginia and new york for the past 150 years.

I guess it's ok to be an "outsider" and take all the value out of WV, as long as you throw a few truck drivers some jobs, eh?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:35 PM

300 posts, read 819,725 times
I'd be interested in listening to that debate in person.

Post details, please.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:53 PM

191 posts, read 809,642 times
I predict Daryl Hannah is going to put on her mermaid suit from "Splash" and jump in the Marfork impoundment.

There is a scene in a movie about the Mississippi KKK where the stereotypical fat Southern sheriff tells the civil rights workers, "You have been messin in somthin that was none of yo bidness. You see us goin up Nawth messin in yo bidness?" In the same vein, why don't the people with good paying coal related jobs in the Beckley area (the best paying non-medical jobs in town) say to the treehugging eco-terrorists, "You see us goin ta Maine and Seattle messin in yer biznuss?"

Regarding Mountain-Top removal mining: Why would someone in Maine or Oregon care what we do with our Mountains? If you don't like it, don't come down here to see it. I don't like honor killings and acid attacks, so I don't go to Pakistan to see it.

Good paying jobs in Beckley dependent on coal:

Phillips Machinery
Walker Machinery
Powell Construction
Bays Engineering
Taggert Engineering
Alliance Consulting, Inc.
Marshall Miller and Associates
Superior Highwall
WR Ramsey and Associates
REIC Labs
JABO Supply
Mine Battery Services/Mine Power Systems
Cogar Mine Supply
Beckley Steel
Appalachian Tire
MSHA Mine Acadamy

And that's just a few of them. If you really want to know they will be at the Friends of Coal festival in Beckley next month.

Last edited by italianbluesboy; 06-22-2009 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.ochre View Post
I'd be interested in listening to that debate in person.

Post details, please.
Yea, I also would like to hear that debate.
Will NEVER happen

Old 06-22-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IveHadEnough View Post
I always laugh at the "outsider" tag applied by the coal-bots to the tree huggers.

The real "outsiders" are the coal companies who have been shipping their profits off WV coal, by the billions, to their homes in virginia and new york for the past 150 years.

I guess it's ok to be an "outsider" and take all the value out of WV, as long as you throw a few truck drivers some jobs, eh?
If caring about the economic peril of our miners and our state, if being against the Cap & Trade, etc. means that I am labled a coal-bot -- then so be it.
I will proudly be a coal-bot in defense of our economy.

Sorry, but James Hansen coming has NOTHING to do with any problems with coal mining in WV.

It is all about the theory of man-made global warming and the money to be made from it... the money the Feds look to reap with Cap & Trade, the money investors look to make with Cap & Trade and a demand for new technology, etc.

For example, follow the money ...........

Quote:
Official NASA climate statements come through GISS ... which means they must get by Hansen. Many other scientists and agencies make climate predictions, but Hansen's top the list for scare factor, predicting consequences considerably more dire than his colleagues.
DailyTech - Update: NASA, James Hansen, and the Politicization of Science
Quote:
George Soros is known for funding groups such as MoveOn.org that seek to manipulate public opinion........
James Hansen, ..........was really funded by Soros' Open Society Institute , which gave him "legal and media advice"
....... Hansen was packaged for the media by Soros' flagship "philanthropy," by as much as $720,000, ...........
IBDeditorials.com: Editorials, Political Cartoons, and Polls from Investor's Business Daily -- The Soros Threat To Democracy
Soros owns/owned a lot of coal stock, however from articles (some 3 years ago) ..........
Quote:
A source in the coal industry ...........Soros doesn’t let “politics get in the way of commerce.” .........Soros told PBS’s Bill Moyers ..........that “dealing with global warming will require a lot of investment” and that “energy has to cost a lot more.” So Soros may be betting that climate policies will somehow make his coal/oil investments more profitable. ........

A spokesman from Soros Fund Management denied that any explanation was necessary for Soros’ investments and global warming posture. He also denied that Soros might be breaching his fiduciary duty to his investors by advocating public policies that could spell doom for the coal industry and their coal investments. Is George Soros a Global Warming Turncoat?
Quote:
December 19, 2006. The key concerns for the future of mankind are ...........the failure to take cognizance of the impact of global warming, Mr. George Soros, the legendary financier and founder of the Open Society Institute,...........

Responding to the observations by Mr. Saroj Kumar Poddar, President, FICCI and Dr. Vinay Bharat Ram, Chairman, SRC, Mr. Soros said another big danger was global warming and added that its containment would be the responsibility of the US. GEORGE SOROS CAUTIONS AGAINST N-PROLIFERATION, GLOBAL WARMING (http://www.ficci.com/press/200/1.htm - broken link)
Quote:
George Soros who, in October 2007, told CNBC’s Maria Bartiromo “I think we have to stop the increased use of coal if we want to bring climate change under control…” Is George Soros a Global Warming Turncoat? | Clipmarks (http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/2D6A744A-12FE-4160-98E6-25C591B27985/ - broken link)
Soros says the US has been a leader by spending but that is now at an end, so here is the problem of GW and it needs a lot of investment so GW is the answer to saving the world economically, energy needs to cost more, a new economic paradim has to be created and GW tech is the answer.......
YouTube - Bill Moyers and George Soros on Energy

Also interesting......
Power’s Strategic and International Studies Blog » Blog Archive » George Soros buys a piece of Dick Cheney’s firm –Halliburton

Quote:
On Black Wednesday (September 16, 1992), Soros ........sold short more than $10 billion worth of pounds, profiting from the Bank of England's reluctance to either raise its interest rates to levels comparable to those of other European Exchange Rate Mechanism countries or to float its currency.

Finally, the Bank of England was forced to withdraw the currency out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism and to devalue the pound sterling, and Soros earned an estimated US$ 1.1 billion in the process. He was dubbed "the man who broke the Bank of England." WikiWealth: George Soros Stock Portfolio (http://www.wikiwealth.com/portfolio:george-soros-stock-portfolio-analysis - broken link)

Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 PM

128 posts, read 443,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
If caring about the economic peril of our miners and our state, if being against the Cap & Trade, etc. means that I am labled a coal-bot -- then so be it.
I will proudly be a coal-bot in defense of our economy.
You mean our last place in the entire nation, economy.

Oh, and you are so concerned about the economic perils to the last 10,000 people left "mining" coal in wv? Where was your concern for the "economic peril" of the miners the last 35 years as automation put HUNDREDS of thousands of miners out of work in WV?

Hell, the coal companies, as recently as 5 years ago, Massey included, tried to basically invalidate the severance tax on coal. To the tune of a 500 million dollar hole to the state budget. The case is called US Steel Mining Company et al v. Helton. Look it up. It's a totally bogus case, a case of "frivolousness" if I ever saw one. Yet, the coal companies tried it. Wasting state resources, on the chance they could get out of basically ever paying severance tax again. Yeah, they are real concerned about WV.

Quote:
Sorry, but James Hansen coming has NOTHING to do with any problems with coal mining in WV.

It is all about the theory of man-made global warming and the money to be made from it... the money the Feds look to reap with Cap & Trade, the money investors look to make with Cap & Trade and a demand for new technology, etc.
Wait, so it's ok to make money by ruining ground water, and blasting people's homes, and basically scarring up the landscape, for a few truck driving jobs (they aren't miners, let's just get that out of the way, any more than a guy working at McDonald's is a chef) but it's not ok to make money with cap and trade?

Quote:
For example, follow the money ...........
Follow the money? Read that case I mentioned above. There's your money. And the coal companies tried to steal it all. Every. Last. Dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia