Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 04:12 PM

11 posts, read 18,532 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I have posted one of these about 2 months ago.
After futher research, I still do not know much about WV. Lol!

I am currently looking at the following cities:
-Marietta, WV
-North Hills, WV
-Vienna, WV
-Parkersburg, WV
-Belpre, OH

I am trying to stay as close to Waverly as possible

I do not know much about the cities listed above except I noticed the homes I have seen in my research in Parkersburg seem run down?
If someone could help me with some "Local Insight", that would be great.
I am trying to narrow my search down and would like to stay away from "drug" areas.
I have seen a lot of discussion on drugs in several northern WV cities?
I am not sure if this is true...but I am not interested in living in an area with high drug related activity.

as much info as possible is great about any of the above cities
for Ex: is Parkersburg large enough where there is a "nicer" part of it?
(some cities in my current area are large enough where one part is very nice and another is a little run down and dated)
Info like this would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
There really is only one area of Parkersburg that is "run down" and it's even pretty hit and miss.

95% of the houses in Vienna and North Hills are in good upkept condition. Marietta (which is in Ohio) is a cool old town. It's a small college town. Many nice older homes with newer homes on the outskirts.

There is also Williamstown. Picking is likely a little less than the other areas. It's hard to find a house in Williamstown that isn't in good shape. Many of them are older homes which will always need attention but there is also some real new developments.

Now if you are considering "dated" as run down, yes, there are many older homes in this area. We rarely tear houses down to simply replace them with new ones. Drugs are certainly everywhere just like most places but stay away from 8th to say 19th street in Parkersburg and you are unlikely to see it. The thing is though, some of the nicest old houses in the area are also in that area. I really love the mid century modern homes in the 14 th st area near the city park in Parkersburg myself.

I suppose it would help to know what size home and price range you are looking for. I guess you are going to be going to Merideth Manor? My brother in law lives right behind there. There is a new housing development on Rt 2 not 10 minutes from there.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,881,972 times
Just come visit and spend time looking around. Refresh our memory of what exactly you are looking for in living quarters.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There really is only one area of Parkersburg that is "run down" and it's even pretty hit and miss.

95% of the houses in Vienna and North Hills are in good upkept condition. Marietta (which is in Ohio) is a cool old town. It's a small college town. Many nice older homes with newer homes on the outskirts.

There is also Williamstown. Picking is likely a little less than the other areas. It's hard to find a house in Williamstown that isn't in good shape. Many of them are older homes which will always need attention but there is also some real new developments.

Now if you are considering "dated" as run down, yes, there are many older homes in this area. We rarely tear houses down to simply replace them with new ones. Drugs are certainly everywhere just like most places but stay away from 8th to say 19th street in Parkersburg and you are unlikely to see it. The thing is though, some of the nicest old houses in the area are also in that area. I really love the mid century modern homes in the 14 th st area near the city park in Parkersburg myself.

I suppose it would help to know what size home and price range you are looking for. I guess you are going to be going to Merideth Manor? My brother in law lives right behind there. There is a new housing development on Rt 2 not 10 minutes from there.

Yes, actually
I will be going to Meredith Manor
Your Post has actually been an amazing help.
Dated is not run down to me, I mean the old boarded up and abandoned homes. Here in CA, those areas are usually high in drug related issues.

My price range to rent is $400-$800
I am looking to rent for about 6 months-1 year so i can get a feel of the area a little more and decided where I am most comfortable to buy a home.
I am looking for a 2 bedroom, but dont mind more rooms. lol

I am visiting in August to tour the school and to check out the surrounding cities.
I am just trying to find out as much as I can before that visit so my search is not so broad.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
It's actually fairly hard to find a boarded up house. The housing mess by and large missed WV. Our prices didn't skyrocket like other places so they had nowhere to fall back to. People generally did not get in over their heads.

The only area that might not be to your liking is the 13th st area. There are some abandoned houses in that area. Not too many though. A house will be very hard to find in the $400 range. At the upper range you should be able to find something suitable.

Vienna is generally going to be more expensive as is North Hills. Marietta or Williamstown is appx a 12-15 minute drive to M.M. but there doesn't seem to me to be a lot of rentals open, but then again, I've had no reason to look.

You really shouldn't have any problems finding a decent place in an area that is good for what you have budgeted.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's actually fairly hard to find a boarded up house. The housing mess by and large missed WV. Our prices didn't skyrocket like other places so they had nowhere to fall back to. People generally did not get in over their heads.

The only area that might not be to your liking is the 13th st area. There are some abandoned houses in that area. Not too many though. A house will be very hard to find in the $400 range. At the upper range you should be able to find something suitable.

Vienna is generally going to be more expensive as is North Hills. Marietta or Williamstown is appx a 12-15 minute drive to M.M. but there doesn't seem to me to be a lot of rentals open, but then again, I've had no reason to look.

You really shouldn't have any problems finding a decent place in an area that is good for what you have budgeted.
Thank you very much for your post.
This is very helpful!
Its a lot harder to find rentals online compared to CA. lol!
So narrowing down my search was much needed and you guys have certainly helped me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia