Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 03:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times

Advertisements

You know that is a tough one....
Let me put it this way. After living in the Atlanta area now for 5 years there isn't much I can say in a worst most negative light in regard to anywhere else, including West Virginia.

I guess a negative is the overall lack of zoning in Berkeley County, WV where I was born and raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 06:05 PM

128 posts, read 443,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitestater View Post
i have many fiscally conservative friends, but the republican party of today has been hijacked by a strong southern based socially conservative element. Social conservatives love using "big government" to advance their own social values on others often times...
+1

Old 06-28-2009, 08:55 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,252 times
This thread has been wonderful! I am not at all ready to dive into the political realm since I haven't even gotten to West Virginia yet, but so far everything that I have seen on this thread makes me MORE convicted to move there. Bears...GOOD! Winter.... GOOD! No big cities....GOOD! Infrastructure problems- okay, not great. Conservative mixed with Libertarian....GREAT!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:10 PM

52 posts, read 90,122 times
I didn't say I was a republican, I said I was a conservative; two different things. The republican party tends to fall in line with my beliefs more so than the demonrat party.
I believe everyone is under the impression that I am a female, but I am a 26 year old married male, and yes I am an RN.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:46 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Should I clap now?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Ok folks let's stop the back and forth banter. I don't want to close the thread. Please play nice

Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanCatholic View Post
I didn't say I was a republican, I said I was a conservative; two different things. The republican party tends to fall in line with my beliefs more so than the demonrat party.
I believe everyone is under the impression that I am a female, but I am a 26 year old married male, and yes I am an RN.
Please explain to me how either political party is fiscally conservative these days? Fiscally conservative Republicans are a dying breed and the party has been taken over by the big government socially conservative element. I really can't figure out WHAT the Republican party stands for these days and neither can many Americans. I am an Independent voter by the way. I lean more Republican on monetary issues and more Democratic on social issues.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:04 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
If you talk smack about God, be ready to run.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Wv has a Cycle of Bust almost every 15 years...this is perfect for taking out the best of the population.

How could we have a majority of college aged adults if they go elsewhere for jobs and acumen.

This is not an 'Attitude Thing, GHO...it's a Necessity of Life dictation...an individuals survival depends on it...
What is left behind is those who cannot go elsewhere...
I was lucky to have lived in Hawaii, Oregon, the Carolinas and traveled to most of the states and several countries...in the end, Wv had the peace and quiet I wanted...and my keys are in the car as I write this...that's the way I want life and I consider it an attitude of Progression to be able to do that here.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:41 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Yes but I'm saying the perceived attitude of the general populous of the state is that, "if your different it's a bad thing." The young people are literally pushed out of the state because we are just too different than the rest of the population. West Virginia needs to adopt a progressive attitude, one where we respect individual differences, and become a little less fanatical about god, guns, and gays.

If we could start a trend of keeping our young and educated in the state, and increasing our population to around 2 or 2.2 million through population growth statewide instead of just a few boom areas. The state would be much more economically sound, and the children and grand children perhaps would begin staying in state rather than running to the state borders.

My two cents....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia