Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:10 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times

Advertisements

It will probably read "To PA Turnpike 43 North - Uniontown, Pittsburgh". I wonder what route number WV will assign for that little 4 or 5 mile stretch to the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,448 times
I hope the economies of north central WV and southwestern PA will improve once better roads are built to connect the areas. Northern WV is tied to the Pittsburgh region.

Something I don't get is that on I-79 in WV, Pittsburgh isn't even listed as a city on the interstate signs until you pass the Star City exit. Washington is of course, but not Pittsburgh. (I'm surprised they don't put the "PA" at the of Washington on the I-79 portion on all of the signs in WV like they do in PA. Some less geographically inclined people may confuse it with DC.) Pittsburgh is still a major city (well in northern Appalachia it is) and is linked with the region. Going the opposite way, mileage for Charleston and Beckley is listed.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:23 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Pennsylvania is supposed to be invisible to us...but to my knowledge, Sarris Chocolate is being smuggled south and found profusely in many of our stores...

Someone will eventually pick up the trail north and see that it leads to riverboats, pirates, steelers and penguins, museums, planetariums,and conservatories,stores and some of the best regional eateries in the country...
I think the secret is out...shhh.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:23 PM

68 posts, read 124,506 times
snorpus,

The West Virginia section of the expressway will be signed as WV 43 to match the designation on the PA side. I did hear that there will be signs saying TO PA Turnpike 43 in the northbound lanes and TO I-68 in the southbound lanes in conjunction with the WV 43 designation.

Last edited by jimsmith022968; 07-12-2009 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 09:16 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,059 times
I predict the town of Smithfield and the Southern part of Uniontown will begin having their property values increase around 2012 or so. A 15 minute drive to I-68 and like 30 or so to Morgantown proper? And how depressed real estate there is right now, to boot? That won't stay a secret for long. Especially since Uniontown has decent (for its size) shopping. A big Giant Eagle, a Target, and a mall...that's all you need 10 minutes from your house...

Old 07-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Is there any opposition to this highway in West Virginia? I've heard a few rumors over the years that West Virginia really does not want this highway to be built because they're afraid of lower sales tax revenues and jobs moving out of Morgantown and northern WV...

Old 07-13-2009, 03:23 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
A serious problem exists for our neighbors to the north that has the potential to stifle their growth. (Greene, Fayette, Washington counties.)

A water flow problem has put a moratorium on further development for them.

So many flood control projects have been built to tame our waters that pollutants cannot be swept away with natural flow, and lay building up in the stream beds.

Reverse Osmosis filtration plants ($57 Mill for Fairmont) are being built as we speak. (Morgantown proposed at $58 Mill) These water plants remove drugs and any industral chemicals...and discharge the waste to be re-collected downstream by others.

Having Water is the key to all development...utilitarian use, drinking and for flushing away waste.

An incredible future lies in point of use containment, re-use for fuel or re-cycling of sewage but city revenue's would suffer as waste treatment would be done by the consumer on site and not the cities, as it is done now.

The best waste handlers in the world are the Japanese, everything is re-cycled, burned to generate power and then used to increase the land mass of the islands...
Hawaii did the same thing for years...the airport is built on squares of compressed garbage...got that idea from Japan.

Big money/ jobs in the solutions for these issues...but they are invisible too.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 07-13-2009 at 03:36 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 06:36 PM

They're holding a groundbreaking ceremony on Monday, August 3 at Cheat Lake.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:02 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
Pittsburgh Tribune Review article.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
It's definitely needed and will do a lot for the region, but of more pressing concern (the greatest need in the whole state in my opinion) is more state funding for road construction in the Morgantown proper area. State numbered highways in Morgantown are woefully inadequate to keep pace with the rapidly growing demand and the Manchin administration has totally dropped the ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia