U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:03 PM

6 posts, read 14,338 times
Question Closest Cities/Towns to the MD line (from WV)

I'm looking to move to WV within the next two months. I will be purchasing a house. I wanted some help for those that live in or have lived in WV. Which cities/towns are closest to the MD line (Hagerstown, Fredrick). Which towns would you recommend for small children? Best Schools? Diverse Neighborhoods? Shopping? Entertainment? Any and all information would be very helpful and appreciative. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 05:11 PM

228 posts, read 451,160 times
Anywhere in Berkeley County is a short drive to Maryland.

I am not sure of your price range. On average you can get a 3BR townhouse in the county from the high 90s to Mid 100s and a 4 BR Colonial from the high 100s and up.

A little about the area:

There are new shopping options in Martinsburg at exit 12 (Target, Dicks, Best Buy, TJ Maxx, etc), an average mall with Walmart, Sears, JC Penneys, Bon Ton, lots of restaurants, and a 10 screen theater in the same area. So if you want to stay around the amenities I would recommend checking out the Martinsburg Station development off of Delmar Orchard Rd. (from Exit 12 or 13), this development was voted the best in WV and will be at the top end of the price scale. Another development 'The Gallery' is across the street from Martinsburg Station and you will find plenty of great deals on foreclosures. This area is also only 15-20 minutes from Hagerstown and 45 minutes to Frederick.

The best school district is probably Hedgesville. Some nice developments to check out in that district are Apple Knoll Estates, Mountain Crest (exit 14) or Harlan Run, Federal Hill, Laurel Ridge (exit 16). This area doesnt have all the shopping and dining options right next door, but it is only about 5-10 minutes to Martinsburg and 15 to Hagerstown.

Further up I81 in the Spring Mills/Falling Waters area you may want to check out Hammonds Mill (exit 20) or Brookfield (exit 23). The only shopping/dining options in this immediate area are the new Walmart at Spring Mills or McDonalds. However this area is very close to the MD line.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 14,338 times
RD35-Thank you for this information, it truly does help ALOT! I heard about The Gallery...I will check the places you mention out.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 AM

380 posts, read 654,449 times
Welcome to the panhandle.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:35 PM

595 posts, read 563,881 times
Default Closer to Frederick

You should check out Harper's Ferry if you are interested in being close to Frederick but Hedgesville is the closest area to Hagerstown. My guess is taxes will be higher in Hedgesville than Harper's Ferry.

I have driven from Rockville to Charles Town and it takes about an hour or just under that so HF would be 45 minutes.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:15 PM

267 posts, read 434,519 times
Mineral County is right there on the WV/MD line. Keyser is across the bridge from McCoole, MD and also PA.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM

228 posts, read 451,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
You should check out Harper's Ferry if you are interested in being close to Frederick but Hedgesville is the closest area to Hagerstown. My guess is taxes will be higher in Hedgesville than Harper's Ferry.

I have driven from Rockville to Charles Town and it takes about an hour or just under that so HF would be 45 minutes.

Actually Jefferson County has higher real estate taxes than Berkeley County. Someone from other parts of the state would be shocked at how high Berkeley/Jefferson county taxes are compared to the rest of the state, but coming from Maryland the taxes will look dirt cheap here.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:53 AM

595 posts, read 563,881 times
Default shocked that Jefferson is higher

That is surprising because I thought Berkeley has passed several school bonds compared to Jefferson. I guess the one(s) that Jeff passed were for larger amounts. Sorry about the misguided info.

I graduated from Shepherd and I really like the area over there but they had no jobs available soon enough that allowed me to stay in the area.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 AM

1,500 posts, read 4,880,592 times
I live in Falling Waters WV and do most of my shopping in Hagerstown. The new Walmart in Spring Mills is a convenience. My daughter goes to Hedgesville High. My son just graduated from Potomack and I have nothing bad to say about that school.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 AM

380 posts, read 654,449 times
This was an interesting question for me as I look at this info constantly but rarely compare the county's final tax outcome specifically. So I did a quick study. There are lots of variables within the assessment process which can cause quite a diversity in the final bill. Things like when the property was assesed, (1/3 of the county per year) recent sale of the subject, volume of recent proximate sales, occupancy/tax class, and margin of error. So I chose two nearly identical homes which both sold last May, one from Berkeley & one from Jefferson.

Jefferson County Property = Sold for $154,000; currently assessed @ $125,700; tax = $1,313
Berkeley County Property = Sold for $159,900; currently assessed @ $107,940; tax = $1,178

The Jefferson County house had 2 garage spaces while the Berkeley county only had one; Berkeley looks to be in a little better condition. Both were low end foreclosure sales. The tax diference is $135 a year. But I could probably do this for a large group of similar homes and find some Berkeley county homes taxed higher as well.

Just for comparison I also looked up a foreclosure sale of a very similar home in Brunswick MD: sold in Nov 08 for $170,900; 2008 Tax = $3,952 (may be lower in 09)
And one in Frederick MD which just sold as a foreclosure this year for $160,000; 2008 Tax = $3,463
(2009 taxes for these have not been posted in my system yet)
That's a difference in Real Estate tax of about $2,500 a year on the most modest of SF detached homes. It compounds when you start looking at higher quality larger homes on larger lots.

Last edited by clintsullivan; 07-15-2009 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia