Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,243 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Direct TV instead of cable. Verizon has offered me $99.99 for 12 months for internet, phone. and tv. I talked to the representative in length and was told that at the end of the 12 months if i call in before the end to renew then they can give me the same price for another year the so forth and so on. Has anyone had experience with this promotion and how does it work. I live in Moundsville, WV. I was also told that I can get my local channels 7 ( WTRF ) and 9 ( WOVK ) if I sign a waiver. This was told to me by Direct TV. All I have read on Direct TV has been bad so I'm a little concerned I have read about extensive damages to homes with installing the dish and quick disconnects if you are late with a high reconnect fee. also have been told that my local channels won't come through no matter what I sign. Internet is slow ( I expect that it's DSL ) but how slow. They keep renewing your agreement or charge you a large fee to get out of the contract. Also weather interfers with signal and you loose your signal alot. The package includes a DVR but I will have to pay for the right of service. I currently have Comcast and my cable bill keeps going up and how many channels you can watch at a lower price keeps going down. In this economy I keep looking for ways to lower some of my bills this seems like a good deal but if all I'm reading is true I don't think it will be worth it. If someone has had experience past or present with Direct TV verses cable please help me out with your opinions so I can make a wise decision. Any help or opinions or advise please feel free to submit them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
I have recently switched from Comcast to Dish Network. I chose Dish because I liked the idea of using 1 box for 2 tvs. We also got the DVR. The picture is amazing and we don't have HD. It does tend to go out during storms though. I know most of the people in my community have Direct TV. I am on a promotion through Dish but even after it is over it will be cheaper than Comcast.

Comcast kept raising their prices and than started taking channels away from us. I also had internet through them and cancelled everything. We were also having problems with the picture pixelating or freezing.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,243 times
Smile thanks for input

thanks for the input it has helped alot.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:47 AM

240 posts, read 732,230 times
I have Frontier phone service and Dish Netowrk.

I got a sales call from Frontier to bundle the two. The price quoted was 87.99 for both.

With Frontier I have call waiting, caller ID, call waiting and unlimited long distance in WV. With the new package, I would also get voice mail and unlimited long distance in the US.

The price they quote does not include taxes and surcharges so I refused to sign up until I looked into the real price. I was told it was a one time limited offer.

When I added in the taxes and surcharges and divided it half the cost for each was 49.71. I pay 46.12 for phone and 50.87 for Dish for 200 channels now. I was told I would keep all the channels. I know some of the bundling packages only give you 120 channels with Dish.

I really don't see where it was saving me any money. So make sure you understand that they are quoting you a price that is before taxes and surcharges.

As for satellite reception, you can lose it during bad thunderstorms. Completely. It doesn't happen often and depends on the direction the storm is coming from. Otherwise, the picture is crystal clear and much better than cable, IMHO.

I can't comment on local channels. I don't get them with Dish. However, when the satellite companies lost their rights to distant networks, Dish came out and installed an OTA antenna for free and when TV went digital, I got a government coupon and a converter box.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:32 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,607,255 times
I have directv and pay about 50 a month. No locals. No internet. A friend has dish and wants me to switch to that but I would rather go back to cable and lose a few channels. No matter what you have, you will get a show or two interrupted for bad weather - even cable. Fortunately, we don't have a whole lot of bad weather in this neck of the woods.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:50 AM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
I've had DirectTV for over 10 years and have been very pleased. We just switched to the basic HD system and it's great. We only lose signal in the worst of weather, and frankly we don't have the tv plugged in during events like that.

We pay $67 for DirectTV, and it can be bundled with Verizon. We pay $100 for our phone service, which includes DSL, and have unlimited calling including long distance nationwide.

Oh and we don't have local (Clarksburg area) channels either. Actually, we managed to keep our same service package that we had when we lived in Berkeley County, so my local channels are Washington DC area. Which is great becuase I get my 'Dead Skins' games on Sunday

Last edited by Threerun; 08-20-2009 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 AM

120 posts, read 401,803 times
For what it's worth, I have to echo Threerun concerning DirecTV. I've had DirecTV (bundled with Verizon) for the past six years. Of all the servies providers that I deal with, DirecTV has, BY FAR, the best customer service and I've never had even the slightest complaint. We've had DirecTV installed in four separate residences and never experienced an installation issue. Lastly, if you know someone that is already a DirecTV customer, you can save BOTH of you $100 by using the existing customer as a referral.

DIRECTV: Referral Program

Old 08-20-2009, 11:37 PM

108 posts, read 306,247 times
We have both DirectTV and Comcast Cable/Internet. DirectTV is great unless, as others have stated, you under really thick cloud cover. Which has only happened once here in Grafton this year and only for about 15 minutes. Comcast Cable's picture quality and reception can actually be much worse more often and for no apparent reason. From past experience with Hughsnet Satellite Internet services and Verison DSL, Comcast's internet service is excellent, it's very fast and extremely reliable. Personally, I rate Comcast's internet serve as one of the best and their Cable service as relatively poor. If it wasn't for the fact that we can only get our local channels through them I would cancel the Cable service.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy7319 View Post
thanks for the input it has helped alot.
With Directv you can use one box for two TVs as well. You just have to run the extra cable.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I've had DirectTV for over 10 years and have been very pleased. We just switched to the basic HD system and it's great. We only lose signal in the worst of weather, and frankly we don't have the tv plugged in during events like that.

We pay $67 for DirectTV, and it can be bundled with Verizon. We pay $100 for our phone service, which includes DSL, and have unlimited calling including long distance nationwide.

Oh and we don't have local (Clarksburg area) channels either. Actually, we managed to keep our same service package that we had when we lived in Berkeley County, so my local channels are Washington DC area. Which is great becuase I get my 'Dead Skins' games on Sunday
Directv used to do this cool thing when your local channels weren't available. They gave you the local channels of each time zone from a large city. I enjoyed that but once they got Dallas/Fort Worth online I wasn't allowed to keep them anymore.

ATT is bundling Directv in my area but I don't have the money to afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia