Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:09 AM

128 posts, read 442,365 times

Advertisements

I heard from a state trooper buddy who was doing security at the event, they had maybe 30,000 people there, at the most. And he said after Hank Jr. played, a huge chunk of them left.

Nowhere near 100,000.

There was 50,000+ at the WVU game. This wasn't even the biggest event in WV this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 03:14 AM

130 posts, read 366,604 times
I was going to go but the wife had to work. Oh well...

Old 09-08-2009, 05:36 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,355,977 times
I disagree with your state trooper buddy. Guestimates by many early in the day was at least 50,000 attendees; people kept coming in on a regular basis after that. News says organizers say 60-70 thousand. That's probably right. I think the overnight/early morning rain and the forecast for rain kept many from attending. Plus, a lot of people decided to not attend when ticket "sales" hit 100,000 - they did not want to deal with the huge crowd.

For those who missed the event, here's a wrap-up:

The event was AWESOME.

The traffic situation was a real surprise. We did not run into any real traffic problems and I did not run into anyone who complained of the traffic. They had signs up along the road telling people to tune into the radio station which was suggesting offsite places to park - lots of buses were then running transporting people to the mountaintop. While I'm sure some had complaints, I'd say it was very few.

The weather was perfect (slightly overcast so not hot) til Hank was about done then it rained lightly. By the time the next group started a big time rain came through and thousands decided to leave at one time - for those parked in one section by the tents, it created a long wait to get out cuz of the zillion buses they were running on the other section. By the time John Rich started playing, the sun was shining and there was a rainbow - but not many people still around at this point.

When people entered the gates, they were asked to sign a petition against Cap & Trade. Some you could tell were just there for the music but it seemed the majority really knew about C&T and were anxious to sign the petition - they want it stopped. Those who were not aware of C&T before the rally they surely are now educated about it - lots of short speeches between the music plus Lord Monkton (spelling?) spoke.

I'd say the rally was a huge success. It was a great opportunity for those who are against Cap & Trade to voice their concern. For those who had no awareness of C&T, they now know about it.

There were a lot of food, etc. vendors plus they allowed local non-profit groups such as cheerleaders to sell food etc., huge tents to get under when it rained, etc. My guess is about 500 or more folding chairs were set up in front of the double stages for anyone who wanted them plus people brought chairs and blankets. Organizers did a good job of emailing people to tell them ahead of time what to bring, suggest off site parking, no alcohol or coolers allowed, etc. People were all nice to each other, no drunks causing fights. Lots of people brought their kids and babies - it was a very family friendly event. (They also had a kid area set up with fun things for kids).

The music was excellent and the setup was very professional with good sound and 4 big screens.

Ted Nugent was - what can you say - TN is TN. The man says just what he thinks/feels and has strong opinions. Love him - he is a wild man. Hank Jr. played a long time and was, of course, awesome. He is so "one of us" in his attitude. John Rich was great - he was the last act and the bad thing is that thousands and thousands had left when the rain came through so the crowd for him was relatively small - that was unfortunate. Cowboy Troy also did a couple songs during the Rich time.

There were people of every age and race at the rally. Had heard that people from 32 states were coming. Don't know if that held true, but do know there were folks from Alaska, Arizona, North Carolina, New York, plus our surrounding states.
A group of people from Illinois have been following the Tea Party Express veered off and attended the rally. (The Tea Party Express started in California. The bus is headed to the Tea Party Rally in DC on Sept 12. People have been joining the express creating a caravan as it travels across country holding rallies in different cities).

I had expected there would be environmentalists protesting the event. Heard organizers had a special area outside the venue gates designated for protestors where they could still hear the music but there would not be any contact thus trouble - heard rumors that 2 showed up, were directed to the protest area, so they just left. Don't know if that is true but that's what I heard. Did not see or hear any protestors.

The rally was a success in bringing attention to the issue of Cap & Trade - even to those not attending the rally. Think about the people in WV not paying attention to what is going on in the state and country - while the phrase C&T may not grab their attention, a free concert with legends like Hank, Ted, etc. did grab their attention. Even if they still don't know what C&T is all about, at least they now have an inkling that there is a "problem".

Old 09-08-2009, 06:16 AM

2,016 posts, read 4,586,534 times
I spoke with a friend from high school who went down to see Hank Jr. and he essentially said the same thing that IveHadEnough is saying. He noticed far more just went for the shows. I was in Charleston this weekend and didn't seem to notice a lot of people heading down 119 through South Hills but then again I may have been asleep when the worst of it went through.

I can't think of anything really more "anti-American worker" than coal companies laying off employees because of the down market yet spending over one million dollars on an event like this for a crowd that mostly disagreed on Cap and Trade to begin with.

By looking at various online newspapers this morning it doesn't really look like this event even really drew that much media attention outside of the state. I'm just glad it isn't in the DC area papers yet...didn't really want to deal with the West Virginia jokes this morning after a nice long weekend in my hometown!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 AM

128 posts, read 442,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I disagree with your state trooper buddy. Guestimates by many early in the day was at least 50,000 attendees; people kept coming in on a regular basis after that. News says organizers say 60-70 thousand. That's probably right. I think the overnight/early morning rain and the forecast for rain kept many from attending. Plus, a lot of people decided to not attend when ticket "sales" hit 100,000 - they did not want to deal with the huge crowd.

For those who missed the event, here's a wrap-up:

The event was AWESOME.

The traffic situation was a real surprise. We did not run into any real traffic problems and I did not run into anyone who complained of the traffic. They had signs up along the road telling people to tune into the radio station which was suggesting offsite places to park - lots of buses were then running transporting people to the mountaintop. While I'm sure some had complaints, I'd say it was very few.

The weather was perfect (slightly overcast so not hot) til Hank was about done then it rained lightly. By the time the next group started a big time rain came through and thousands decided to leave at one time - for those parked in one section by the tents, it created a long wait to get out cuz of the zillion buses they were running on the other section. By the time John Rich started playing, the sun was shining and there was a rainbow - but not many people still around at this point.

When people entered the gates, they were asked to sign a petition against Cap & Trade. Some you could tell were just there for the music but it seemed the majority really knew about C&T and were anxious to sign the petition - they want it stopped. Those who were not aware of C&T before the rally they surely are now educated about it - lots of short speeches between the music plus Lord Monkton (spelling?) spoke.

I'd say the rally was a huge success. It was a great opportunity for those who are against Cap & Trade to voice their concern. For those who had no awareness of C&T, they now know about it.

There were a lot of food, etc. vendors plus they allowed local non-profit groups such as cheerleaders to sell food etc., huge tents to get under when it rained, etc. My guess is about 500 or more folding chairs were set up in front of the double stages for anyone who wanted them plus people brought chairs and blankets. Organizers did a good job of emailing people to tell them ahead of time what to bring, suggest off site parking, no alcohol or coolers allowed, etc. People were all nice to each other, no drunks causing fights. Lots of people brought their kids and babies - it was a very family friendly event. (They also had a kid area set up with fun things for kids).

The music was excellent and the setup was very professional with good sound and 4 big screens.

Ted Nugent was - what can you say - TN is TN. The man says just what he thinks/feels and has strong opinions. Love him - he is a wild man. Hank Jr. played a long time and was, of course, awesome. He is so "one of us" in his attitude. John Rich was great - he was the last act and the bad thing is that thousands and thousands had left when the rain came through so the crowd for him was relatively small - that was unfortunate. Cowboy Troy also did a couple songs during the Rich time.

There were people of every age and race at the rally. Had heard that people from 32 states were coming. Don't know if that held true, but do know there were folks from Alaska, Arizona, North Carolina, New York, plus our surrounding states.
A group of people from Illinois have been following the Tea Party Express veered off and attended the rally. (The Tea Party Express started in California. The bus is headed to the Tea Party Rally in DC on Sept 12. People have been joining the express creating a caravan as it travels across country holding rallies in different cities).

I had expected there would be environmentalists protesting the event. Heard organizers had a special area outside the venue gates designated for protestors where they could still hear the music but there would not be any contact thus trouble - heard rumors that 2 showed up, were directed to the protest area, so they just left. Don't know if that is true but that's what I heard. Did not see or hear any protestors.

The rally was a success in bringing attention to the issue of Cap & Trade - even to those not attending the rally. Think about the people in WV not paying attention to what is going on in the state and country - while the phrase C&T may not grab their attention, a free concert with legends like Hank, Ted, etc. did grab their attention. Even if they still don't know what C&T is all about, at least they now have an inkling that there is a "problem".
I'll just comment on the stuff I bolded.

First, actually, if you read the articles closely, the "news organizations" didn't say anything about the number. They merely stated what "event organizers" (ie, massey spokespersons) told them. It was the "event organizers" who say it was 60-70,000.

And the trooper I know, said the 30 grand number was pretty well accepted by most of the troopers working the gig. He compared it to "about half as many as go to a good wvu game." And he's worked countless wvu games, so I'm going with his calculation, not Don Blankenship's, who has a vested interest in inflating the number.

Second, Lord Monckton, is a journalist. Not a scientist, not an expert in anything, other than broadcasting. He has a college degree in journalism. He has about as much weight as toni caridi regarding anything. So, to even have him there, and have people think his opinion on something like what this rally is about, is even remotely relevant, is laughable. The sad part is, many in attendance are probably not intelligent enough to do anything to discern if these people are credible. A quick google search easily shows these clowns are, just that, clowns.

Also, I think it's hilarious, that the same people who bemoan out of state enivronmental protestors, seemingly lap up everything a FOREIGN ARISTOCRAT with a title of nobility (who, again, is nothing more than a journalist) has to say about how we run OUR country.

Third, I also found it funny that Ben Hatfield, president of ICG (of Sago mine fame, or should I say, infamy) was there puffing his chest out. I guess he didn't kill enough miners up in Grafton to humble him.

Fourth, how is Hank "one of us?" He brags in the Charleston Gazette (plus shows his complete ignorance about the presidential election - he didn't even know Obama won the popular vote) about how he only works 20 days a year, and is in it "all for the money."

Hank Jr. does what he wants* - A&E - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports

By "one of us" I hope you don't mean mean ignorant and borderline racist. If you don't like Obama, fine. That's your choice. Argue against his policies, that's 100% fine. But at least educate yourself a little bit so you don't come off like a complete retard and claim Obama only got elected because of the Electoral College.

Fifth, going along with the Lord Monckton stuff, I find it funny that supporters are touting all these people from different states coming in to "support" the rally. Aren't the supporters always complaining about out of stater's coming in and telling us what to do? I guess it's ok, if it's in support of your side?

Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 AM

2,016 posts, read 4,586,534 times
I hope for the TEA party protesters sake their September 12 rally in DC goes a little better than the last one! The fact that they got turned away because they didn't even know you had to have a permit to protest in the city speaks volumes as to how well planned these events are.

And I will proudly say I am so NOT like Hank Williams Jr. nor would I ever want to be like him..

Old 09-08-2009, 02:00 PM

532 posts, read 1,087,324 times
You all complete left Ted Nugent's service to our country. Now that's a real honorable story.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,826 times
im from north cacalacy NC to you .id love to have a vido of the hole concert it has great and had alot about usa sended are jobs over seas and not just that the illegels taken the jobs of the usa you can say ol thats not right but i live in nc and ive seen it in the last 15 years ive been in nc from brick massonery jobs to sheet rock too concrect . when then take over the coal jobs want be to much left. hope someone will e-mail on how to get a tape of the event that was on the big screen .god blees the coalminers of america.and all the live for freedom.the right way not just sneakin in like a illegel

Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,826 times
If you know how to get a video of the rally e mail me [email]dn7468@aol.com[/email] and you mothers that brung you 6 month old babies there thats is wrong to hurt there ears like that think if it was you

Old 12-03-2009, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 4,789 times
This hillbilly was there and I will go anywhere for Hank Jr .. there is no place too far to go anywhere in Wild, Wonderful West By God Virginia .. have car, will travel !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia