Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM

215 posts, read 1,164,086 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why fighter jets (look like F-14's but not sure) routinely fly over Davis/Canaan valley area? I have lived in Davis for less than a week and have seen/heard the jets twice already. I even caught one doing a fancy manuever (it looked kinda cool). I remember my first time visiting Canaan Valley and a jet flew over and at first I thought a bomb was about to land, lol. I'm only asking because I used to live in NJ, only miles from Maguire AFB and I never had fighter jets flying over.

Anyone know what the story is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 02:45 PM

671 posts, read 1,056,884 times
Tsk tsk. What a waste of tax-payer money.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,500 times
they have to train somewhere!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM

240 posts, read 830,935 times
I have noticed that too. I visit that area in the Spring every year and see them. I guess they train over less populated areas.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Oh, so it's probably training. Well, I have to admit it's pretty cool to see.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 PM

108 posts, read 306,148 times
They buzz us here in Grafton often also. They seem to come from nowhere. Very fast, VERY low. You expect to hear a large crash within seconds but off they go as fast as they came. I've always heard they were practicing making runs at the Tygart Dam. I don't know if that's true or just what seems most likely.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:57 AM

413 posts, read 937,702 times
They usually come in pairs. When I worked for the Refuge, they'd spot our big white truck in the middle of a field somewhere, and radio back to their buddy, who would come damn near low enough to be a hood ornament.

I got buzzed a few times up at Mt. Storm at the windfarm too. One time I swear they went sideways between the turbines. Just about rupture your eardrums when they fly that close.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:50 AM

307 posts, read 691,979 times
These fighter jets are headed to Blackwater Brewing Company - Located in Davis, WV.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLudi View Post
They buzz us here in Grafton often also. They seem to come from nowhere. Very fast, VERY low. You expect to hear a large crash within seconds but off they go as fast as they came. I've always heard they were practicing making runs at the Tygart Dam. I don't know if that's true or just what seems most likely.
I remember the first time I visited down here before I moved here. I was in Black Bear Resort and we suddenly heard a loud sound. We thought a bomb or missile was going to crash and we ducked down. I looked out the window in time to see the jets fly directly overhead, very low.

I lived in Beverly for the past 2 years (randolph county) and I didn't hear them at all living there. Now that I live in Davis I hear them regularly. The fancy maneuver the one jet did was a neat little show :-)

Old 08-21-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
They usually come in pairs. When I worked for the Refuge, they'd spot our big white truck in the middle of a field somewhere, and radio back to their buddy, who would come damn near low enough to be a hood ornament.

I got buzzed a few times up at Mt. Storm at the windfarm too. One time I swear they went sideways between the turbines. Just about rupture your eardrums when they fly that close.
You're totally right. Every time I've seen them there is always 2 of them. I guess all we know is that they're taking practice runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia