Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 03:08 PM

204 posts, read 416,612 times
I agree with Capon Bridge and Romney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 04:06 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,212,987 times
BJC,

Mobley has so much going for it, there's really no contest.

Plenty of room for growth. Centrally located between Pine Grove, Littleton and Barrackville.

When the extension of I-68 is completed, it'll pass within a mile of the Mobley limits. They're already talking about a spur to Cameron, and maybe one southwest to Middlebourne.

Construction of the bunkers to house the Federal Gov't in case DC needs to be evacuated is in high gear. And the new condo's on the South Side offer both riverside (North Fork of Fishing Creek) and mountain views.

With the easy access that I-68 will provide, it's rumored that a business man from southern WV is buying options on land, so he can expand his resort/golf/gaming ventures. Can't mention any names, but let's just say that it's alliterative.

Snorpus

Old 09-14-2009, 04:18 PM

5,989 posts, read 8,970,216 times
I have never even heard of Mobley!

I will google it

Old 09-14-2009, 04:31 PM

868 posts, read 1,558,265 times
I like Buckhannon. It's a pleasant clean town with a little cute college. Friendly people and a nice downtown. I attended WV Wesleyan for a year and I have fond memories of that area.

Buckhannon-Upshur County is rural, but it's way out in the boonies either. Buckhannon has easy access to Clarksburg and Charleston and Pittsburgh are within reasonable driving distances for your big city thrills.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:02 PM

5,989 posts, read 8,970,216 times
I googled Mobley, WV

I found a couple homes, and a farm. I have a huntch this isn't the town you were mentioning. And it isn't close to I-68

Buckhannon is an amazing town. So is Elkins!

Ripley, Hinton, Lewisburg, White Sulpher Springs, Pinch, Winfeild are amoung my favs

Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,212,987 times
Oh yes, that's Mobley. Best small town in WV.

I didn't say it was near the current I-68, but the I-68 Extension, which should reach the Ohio near Brooklyn Junction on the south end of New Martinsville. They're already surveying for the new David Kennedy Bridge to cross the Ohio and join up with Ohio 7.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:17 PM

36 posts, read 81,218 times
Shepherdstown is OK for now. Its a nice, quaint small-college town on the banks of the Potomac about 1.5 hours away from Washington, DC and Baltimore. Not far from Antietam National Battlefield Park and Harpers Ferry and approx 1 hr form Gettysburg, PA. Lots of Civil War and railroad history for those buffs of the subjects. Good access to some great whitewater for rafting, kayaking, tubing, etc. Good access to the Appalachian Trail at Harpers Ferry (which is ATC HQ).

Why do I say OK for now? The simple reason is that the Eastern Panhandle of WV has been "discovered" by the "Inside the Beltway" crowd seeking more bang for the real estate buck. The recent economic downturn has merely postponed the inevitable tidal wave of folks seeing to escape the higher real estate taxes and home prices of Maryland and Virginia. I moved into the area 17 years ago and the changes have been sustantial. Most notably traffic congestion and an increase in crime, drugs, etc. although still MUCH less than in the metro DC area. I'm looking to leave the area when I retire. Berkeley Springs in Morgan County is looking better all the time.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:35 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,971,629 times
Shepherdstown, although any of those small towns in Wetzel County are really nice.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:40 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,971,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
BJC,

Mobley has so much going for it, there's really no contest.

Plenty of room for growth. Centrally located between Pine Grove, Littleton and Barrackville.

When the extension of I-68 is completed, it'll pass within a mile of the Mobley limits. They're already talking about a spur to Cameron, and maybe one southwest to Middlebourne.

Construction of the bunkers to house the Federal Gov't in case DC needs to be evacuated is in high gear. And the new condo's on the South Side offer both riverside (North Fork of Fishing Creek) and mountain views.

With the easy access that I-68 will provide, it's rumored that a business man from southern WV is buying options on land, so he can expand his resort/golf/gaming ventures. Can't mention any names, but let's just say that it's alliterative.

Snorpus
The Cameron spur would logically go on to Moundsville and cross the Ohio at Moundsville. You don't hear much about funding or construction dates though. Those highways are much needed.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:27 AM

380 posts, read 1,153,954 times
Buchannon is nice. I have fond memories of the science fairs there at Wesleyan.

[I agree that Shepherdstown / Jefferson County has changed over the past 10 years as Incognito says, but I think the brakes have been effectively applied to prevent much change for the future.
With upcoming changes to zoning and the impact fees for new construction, I think Jefferson County, and especially the Shepherdstown area, will have more open space, more large lot residential parcels etc. Also you must figure in the percentage of total land that is currently owned by the Fed as well as the parcels which may soon be purchased or donated by foundations which will not be developed. All this will prevent Jefferson from looking like our neighbors in Berkeley, Washington or Frederick counties.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia