Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 11,131 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to relocate very soon and I think i have narrowed it down to West Virginia. From what I have read, I understand that Elkins, WV gets quite a bit of rain and snow and it has some pretty heavily wooded areas.

I grew up in Minnesota and I miss the windows shaking from the thunder claps and only being outside for two minutes before being completely soaked. I miss shoveling the driveway and actually having to have a snow plow come through the neighborhood because the snow sticks and doesn't just melt that day.

I have been trying to find out if Elkins, or anywhere in West Virginia has this Severe Weather, but I am getting mixed statements and i was hoping you guys could help me out.

Thanks so much ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
If you grew up in Minnesota, you will think you're in Ft. Lauderdale when you get to Elkins...sans sand, of course.

The hills and mountains muffle the thunder...if you can hear it, you might get hit by the lightning..

This land ain't flat either...what would suit you to a T...would be Spruce Knob...has just about exactly what you are asking for...many will agree, I'm sure.

And it's on the backside of Elkins...

Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 PM

38 posts, read 318,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmariee View Post
Hi, I am looking to relocate very soon and I think i have narrowed it down to West Virginia. From what I have read, I understand that Elkins, WV gets quite a bit of rain and snow and it has some pretty heavily wooded areas.

I grew up in Minnesota and I miss the windows shaking from the thunder claps and only being outside for two minutes before being completely soaked. I miss shoveling the driveway and actually having to have a snow plow come through the neighborhood because the snow sticks and doesn't just melt that day.

I have been trying to find out if Elkins, or anywhere in West Virginia has this Severe Weather, but I am getting mixed statements and i was hoping you guys could help me out.

Thanks so much ahead of time!
Raindolph county receives plenty of rain to be sure. Thunder, not too often.

Last winter had the deepest snow at 8-9". Incessant 3-6" dumpings 2-3 times a week,,, after week,,, after week with melting in between. I shoveled snow just for the exercise, AWD import cars don't required a shovelled driveway!

And yes, there's plenty of wooded areas in the neighborhood. Which just so happens to be one of the rare redeeming qualities of the area.

Severe weather? Not really, altho i miss the winters in the south.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:27 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
You want snow? Move to Tera Alta, lol.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,439 times
Davis-Thomas-Canaan Valley area. 125-145" of snow typically.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM

376 posts, read 910,466 times
Threerun is spot on.... Terra Alta is snow country. OMG I sure don't miss snow from late October till end of April.... housing prices are very reasonable there... no wonder!

Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 PM

If the word gets out on Terra Alta...We, locals will not have any mountain paradise left to call home..

I'm serious...the poormans Deep Creek Lake...

Old 10-06-2009, 05:18 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,439 times
Let's keep quiet about Bergoo, DK.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 PM

376 posts, read 910,466 times
David ~ are you comparing Terra Alta Lake to Deep Creek Lake? Just curious.....

Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 PM

No, I'm not...

Deep Creek is the DC Surburbanites playground and subdivision...

Terra Alta is Wv.

Thank God...no comparison...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia