Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:33 PM

7 posts, read 15,208 times

Advertisements

We are considering buying a vacation/summer home in Elkins. Does anyone have a good realestate person they might recommend. Also, any information on restaurants, climate, summer weather, things to do, crime rate and local entertainment would be helpful.

We were thinking about Colorado (we use to live in Ft. Collins) but my wife wants to be a little closer to her family in Huntington. We were hoping we might find a cooler climate to get away from our hot St. Pete Florida home during summer months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Elkins will certainly be cooler. It's not uncommon to have summers where it never reaches 90 degrees.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM

we are also looking for a nice rental house or cabin for a week vacation at the beginning of November.
We would like to be in the woods or along the river a little out of town.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
I would check out the Bowden area. There are plenty of cabins in that area. It's also just 10 minutes outside of Elkins.

If you're interested here are some of the local realtors in the area. You can browse some properties or give them a call if you wish.

House Hunters Real Estate.com

Johnson Realty inc

Thompson Realty

Propst Realty

Advance Realty

All Seasons Real Estate

I also stumbled upon this site and it had some information I thought could be useful.

Realestate.Entrepreneur-Elkins (http://realestate.entrepreneur.com/WV/Elkins.php - broken link)

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 10-07-2009 at 04:36 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Thanks for the realestate info.
Good information

Old 10-20-2009, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,203 times
Elkins is a nice town, I would think it would be great for a summer home because the people are friendly and you don't have to worry about traffic, crime, etc., yet there are a lot of summer activities. Certainly if you are outdoorsy at all, you will love it. You can canoe, hike, fish, etc. We go up to the Dolly Sods and have picnics, the view is incredible up there. There used to be "Pickin' in the Park" on Wednesday nights in the summer, that was live bluegrass right in the park downtown. As far as I know they still do that. They also have music and arts festivals, too. I think Elkins is a little short on restaurants, but the ones they do have are good, CJ Maggie's, Scottie's, etc.

Don't know what kind of housing you are looking for, but there is a new neighborhood called "Fern Ridge" that was recently built. The houses are really nice, single family homes. The one we looked at was a 3 br 2 ba, about 1800 SF... I forget what number it was but it was right near the entrance. They might have other floor plans, too. My husband and I looked at them a short while back. They are on big lots, and the neighborhood is not too big, I think it had about 20 lots or so. They are really well built, brand new, and the houses are not right on top of each other like where I live now. The best part was the mountain view! It is so pretty up there, the neighborhood is really close to town and the four lanes and everything but it feels removed and peaceful. We hope to move there once we get our financial situation in order... hopefully there will be at least one lot left! We found it through Coldwell Banker, I can't remember the name of the builder. Good luck!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnclipper View Post
Elkins is a nice town, I would think it would be great for a summer home because the people are friendly and you don't have to worry about traffic, crime, etc., yet there are a lot of summer activities. Certainly if you are outdoorsy at all, you will love it. You can canoe, hike, fish, etc. We go up to the Dolly Sods and have picnics, the view is incredible up there. There used to be "Pickin' in the Park" on Wednesday nights in the summer, that was live bluegrass right in the park downtown. As far as I know they still do that. They also have music and arts festivals, too. I think Elkins is a little short on restaurants, but the ones they do have are good, CJ Maggie's, Scottie's, etc.

Don't know what kind of housing you are looking for, but there is a new neighborhood called "Fern Ridge" that was recently built. The houses are really nice, single family homes. The one we looked at was a 3 br 2 ba, about 1800 SF... I forget what number it was but it was right near the entrance. They might have other floor plans, too. My husband and I looked at them a short while back. They are on big lots, and the neighborhood is not too big, I think it had about 20 lots or so. They are really well built, brand new, and the houses are not right on top of each other like where I live now. The best part was the mountain view! It is so pretty up there, the neighborhood is really close to town and the four lanes and everything but it feels removed and peaceful. We hope to move there once we get our financial situation in order... hopefully there will be at least one lot left! We found it through Coldwell Banker, I can't remember the name of the builder. Good luck!
Congrats on your pending move to Elkins and West Virginia!

Old 05-11-2010, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,126 times
looking into possible family ancestors and/or history my family names are Steele and Teter please reply if any info at mikerri@yahoo.com

Old 05-11-2010, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 5,126 times
My name is Michael Teter Im from Akron,Ohio.Im searching for possible family and/or history of my family.My fathers name is Harley Teter his mother is Rosalee maiden name Steele and as far as I know her mothers name was Clara Steele but do not know her maiden name.Any helpful info is very much appreciated thank you. Please contact me at mikerri@yahoo.com

Old 05-13-2010, 05:47 AM

37 posts, read 104,006 times
There are Teters around Buckhannon and a geneology center at Horner WV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia