Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Just for fun, and you can't count schools in other states because that has nothing to do with WV high school sports.

University---AAA
Motown---AAA
Preston County---AAA
Grafton---AA
North Marion---AAA
East Fairmont---AAA
Fairmont---AAA
Shinston---AA
Liberty---AA
Robert C. Byrd---AAA
Bridgeport---AAA

And within 45 mins of Charleston

Capitol---AAA
George Washington---AAA
Herbert Hoover---AA (largest)
Sissonsville---AA
Saint Albans---AAA
Nitro---AAA
Riverside---AAA
South Charleston---AAA
Poca---AA
Hurricane---AAA
Winfield---AAA
Sherman---AA
Cabell Midland---AAA(2nd largest)
Buffalo---A

and within hour,

Roane County---AA
Clay county---AA
Ripley---AAA
Huntington---AAA
Scott---AA
Lincoln County---AAA
Valley---A

And Cheat lake is Morgantown's only suburb. There are much more expensive houses in the city of Charleston then in Cheat Lake, and I don't think 2 million is the cheapest you can find it. I agree with the original poster in that our suburbs are far better then your "suburb".
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Chris, you don't want to count high schools "in other states" because Charleston is not near other states. We are five miles from one other state here, and 18 miles from another. Other states are very much a part of our daily lives, just as you find for folks living in Huntington, Wheeling, Parkersburg, and Martinsburg. You mentioned high schools within an hour of places. We have a ton more of them here than does Charleston. Now, as far as high school sports, they do compete in different leagues and ours are more likely to be playing teams from Wheeling and Moundsville than they are a team from nearby Waynesburg.

But, while we do follow high school sports somewhat here, and we like it when our Mohigans beat Charleston and so forth, you know full well Morgantown has 90% of all the truly meaningful sporting activity in the entire state combined. It's a mega event when WVU comes to Charleston to play a game. It is a regular occurrance here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 05:52 AM

6,078 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

Chris, you don't want to count high schools "in other states" because Charleston is not near other states. We are five miles from one other state here, and 18 miles from another. Other states are very much a part of our daily lives, just as you find for folks living in Huntington, Wheeling, Parkersburg, and Martinsburg. You mentioned high schools within an hour of places. We have a ton more of them here than does Charleston. Now, as far as high school sports, they do compete in different leagues and ours are more likely to be playing teams from Wheeling and Moundsville than they are a team from nearby Waynesburg.

But, while we do follow high school sports somewhat here, and we like it when our Mohigans beat Charleston and so forth, you know full well Morgantown has 90% of all the truly meaningful sporting activity in the entire state combined. It's a mega event when WVU comes to Charleston to play a game. It is a regular occurrance here.
No, High Scools in other states have nothing to do with daily living in WV. Maybe in the club sport of Lacrosse because there is only a handful of teams in WV to play, but for the most part WV schools play other WV schools. And we aren't talking about WVU, so why you bring them into the conversation is completely unknown to me.

Face it, Here Kanawha County alone we have competive HS teams on every level of HS athletics. And our next door neighbor Putnam County is just as good. Plus add a Cabell County in the mix and we have an entire corridor of good HS sports, where NCWV is just ok.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:47 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Morgantown has a number of suburbs... Star City, Cheat Lake, Arthurdale, Maidsville, Granville, Westover, etc. Plus it is 15 minutes to Fairmont and their suburbs, 20 minutes to Waynesburg, 25 minutes to Uniontown, 25 minutes to Friendsville, MD, and 30 minutes to Clarksburg. You can live, play, and work in any of those places to and from here easily... within a half hour or less.

I'm not sure what your fixation is with high school sports. If you are a high school sports fan I'm sure you can find a team to support either place. We have two of them right here in Morgantown and numerous others in other locales nearby. You might have more of them "within" West Virginia there, but so what? How many of them do you support? And, you can only go to a game at one of them on a Friday night.
The locals (permanent residents) do support their local high schools teams here and Morgantown's team is among the best in West Virginia. It is probably, however, not among the best in our region because the teams in PA seem to be a little better overall.

As you know, that is basically a moot point because for the vast majority of people sports in our state primarily concern The Mountaineers. They happen to be located here. Nothing else in our state comes even remotely close.

If you look at the past decade, Morgantown has won the state high school football championship 4 times. The entire Kanawha Valley has only won it twice.

I wasn't aware that Cabell/Wayne played in the same league as the Kanawha schools. When did that start? In any event, we have lots of sports to watch around here and overall have a decided advantage over Charleston in that regard. http://www.wvusports.com/

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 06-28-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Morgantown has a number of suburbs... Star City, Cheat Lake, Arthurdale, Maidsville, Granville, Westover, etc. Plus it is 15 minutes to Fairmont and their suburbs, 20 minutes to Waynesburg, 25 minutes to Uniontown, 25 minutes to Friendsville, MD, and 30 minutes to Clarksburg. You can live, play, and work in any of those places to and from here easily... within a half hour or less.

I'm not sure what your fixation is with high school sports. If you are a high school sports fan I'm sure you can find a team to support either place. We have two of them right here in Morgantown and numerous others in other locales nearby. You might have more of them "within" West Virginia there, but so what? How many of them do you support? And, you can only go to a game at one of them on a Friday night.
The locals (permanent residents) do support their local high schools teams here and Morgantown's team is among the best in West Virginia. It is probably, however, not among the best in our region because the teams in PA seem to be a little better overall.

As you know, that is basically a moot point because for the vast majority of people sports in our state primarily concern The Mountaineers. They happen to be located here. Nothing else in our state comes even remotely close.

If you look at the past decade, Morgantown has won the state high school football championship 4 times. The entire Kanawha Valley has only won it twice.

I wasn't aware that Cabell/Wayne played in the same league as the Kanawha schools. When did that start? In any event, we have lots of sports to watch around here and overall have a decided advantage over Charleston in that regard. West Virginia University Mountaineers - WVUsports.com
For one, I was just responding to the post you made on High School Sports, not my own interest. Which you were responding to somebody else. I do like HS sports, but not enough to follow them to a T, or enough to root for all of our County's schools. As you may or may not know I went to Herbert Hoover, so my interest is there. And yes Schools in Huntington and Wayne play against Kanawha Valley teams all the time. In fact all of the schools from Wayne, Cabell, Putnam, and Kanawha (with the exception of single A schools Buffalo and Charleston Catholic) play in the same conferences. University and Morgantown have made a name for themselves, but so has GW, Saint Albans, Capital, South Charleston. Hoover not so much.

Yes we will not debate that because Morgantown has WVU, by default it has the best sports atmosphere. But we also have good sports on D-2 College Level here, a semi-pro baseball team, and have great sporting events and competions all year long. But again, WVU wins hands down.

As for suburbs go Waynesburg is not a suburb of Morgantown, and neither is Uniontown. Fairmont is its own city, and although people may work in Mtown and live in fairmont, that doesn't mean that Fairmont lives and dies off of Morgantown. Star City and Westover are not suburban, and are more or less part of the town of Morgantown. Friendsville Maryland isn't suburban either. go ahead and count the rest, but aside from Cheat Lake there is nothing the amounts to anything "suburban". Its not a bad thing, just an observation. Cheat Lake is beautiful though, and may possibly be the best suburb in WV. But would have a tough battle with Winfield and Harpers Ferry.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:
For one, I was just responding to the post you made on High School Sports, not my own interest. Which you were responding to somebody else. I do like HS sports, but not enough to follow them to a T, or enough to root for all of our County's schools. As you may or may not know I went to Herbert Hoover, so my interest is there. And yes Schools in Huntington and Wayne play against Kanawha Valley teams all the time. In fact all of the schools from Wayne, Cabell, Putnam, and Kanawha (with the exception of single A schools Buffalo and Charleston Catholic) play in the same conferences. University and Morgantown have made a name for themselves, but so has GW, Saint Albans, Capital, South Charleston. Hoover not so much.

Yes we will not debate that because Morgantown has WVU, by default it has the best sports atmosphere. But we also have good sports on D-2 College Level here, a semi-pro baseball team, and have great sporting events and competions all year long. But again, WVU wins hands down.

As for suburbs go Waynesburg is not a suburb of Morgantown, and neither is Uniontown. Fairmont is its own city, and although people may work in Mtown and live in fairmont, that doesn't mean that Fairmont lives and dies off of Morgantown. Star City and Westover are not suburban, and are more or less part of the town of Morgantown. Friendsville Maryland isn't suburban either. go ahead and count the rest, but aside from Cheat Lake there is nothing the amounts to anything "suburban". Its not a bad thing, just an observation. Cheat Lake is beautiful though, and may possibly be the best suburb in WV. But would have a tough battle with Winfield and Harpers Ferry.
I agree star city and westover are really part of Morgantown, and Cheat Lake is the nicest suburb, but Morgantown has suburbs. Also, for the most part, Fairmont is a suburb of both Morgantown and Clarksburg.

I dont follow High School football, but UHS and MHS are good by WV standards, or atleast they were when I went. I couldnt even tell you today. I follow WVU and Steelers, real football.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I follow WVU and Steelers, real football.
Agreed but you got to respect the levels that make those players who they are.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Agreed but you got to respect the levels that make those players who they are.
Oh for sure.

Maybe if I had a kid in HS that played FB, or if I was really into Football.

I just dont care about any HS sport.

I dont even understand where we got here. Did a poster specify this was important? There are great reasons to move to either city, but I would rate school's academic quality over a school's sports qualities. If someone is serious about HS football this is the wrong state. Florida and, especially, Texas is where people really care for HS sports.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcf6 View Post
overall each city is better or worse than the other in several aspects... with morgantown you have the university, new jobs coming to the area and I would say a much better selection of housing in terms of apartments I mean this place is ridiculous when it comes to the amount of apartments here and the excitement level is great especially if you are young like under 30 young.. charleston on the other hand has nicer suburbs to morgantown's which are basically non existant, charleston and its surrounding area does also prevail in high school sports with tremendous competition straight up 64 all the way to huntington where morgantown has morgantown and university and thats about it within an hour plus... charleston's food is honestly probably a little better but that one is debatable (my vote would go to charleston)they also have the beautiful capital buliding, the power and the nicest skyline in the state these are just a few of the high points I decided to hit I could go on for days but just what came to mind
This was it. Its not accurate, but ohh well

And you are right, Academics should be the number one reason for comparing two citys' high schools. Both Kanawha and Mon County are great public school districts for WV standards. I might actually give Mon the edge because there is only 2 schools in that county and both are amoung the best in the State. Kanawha County has 8, and not all are quality. GW is the top rated in WV, and Saint Albans, S. Charleston, and Capital are good too. Hoover not too long ago was in the bottom 10% in the state, but recently has made its way up to 19th in terms of Academics. But again, Morgantown and University are great schools too.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
This was it. Its not accurate, but ohh well

And you are right, Academics should be the number one reason for comparing two citys' high schools. Both Kanawha and Mon County are great public school districts for WV standards. I might actually give Mon the edge because there is only 2 schools in that county and both are amoung the best in the State. Kanawha County has 8, and not all are quality. GW is the top rated in WV, and Saint Albans, S. Charleston, and Capital are good too. Hoover not too long ago was in the bottom 10% in the state, but recently has made its way up to 19th in terms of Academics. But again, Morgantown and University are great schools too.
I thought Riverside was a good school in Charleston. I know GW is considered good.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I thought Riverside was a good school in Charleston. I know GW is considered good.
Riverside has alot of drop out and drug issues. I think it ranks 7th or 8th in our county in Academics. It should be a great school, but it is just another WV school. It is a nice building though, and even has a bank inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia