U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,299,498 times
Reputation: 1782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
For one, I was just responding to the post you made on High School Sports, not my own interest. Which you were responding to somebody else. I do like HS sports, but not enough to follow them to a T, or enough to root for all of our County's schools. As you may or may not know I went to Herbert Hoover, so my interest is there. And yes Schools in Huntington and Wayne play against Kanawha Valley teams all the time. In fact all of the schools from Wayne, Cabell, Putnam, and Kanawha (with the exception of single A schools Buffalo and Charleston Catholic) play in the same conferences. University and Morgantown have made a name for themselves, but so has GW, Saint Albans, Capital, South Charleston. Hoover not so much.

Yes we will not debate that because Morgantown has WVU, by default it has the best sports atmosphere. But we also have good sports on D-2 College Level here, a semi-pro baseball team, and have great sporting events and competions all year long. But again, WVU wins hands down.

As for suburbs go Waynesburg is not a suburb of Morgantown, and neither is Uniontown. Fairmont is its own city, and although people may work in Mtown and live in fairmont, that doesn't mean that Fairmont lives and dies off of Morgantown. Star City and Westover are not suburban, and are more or less part of the town of Morgantown. Friendsville Maryland isn't suburban either. go ahead and count the rest, but aside from Cheat Lake there is nothing the amounts to anything "suburban". Its not a bad thing, just an observation. Cheat Lake is beautiful though, and may possibly be the best suburb in WV. But would have a tough battle with Winfield and Harpers Ferry.

Chris, I didn't say they were suburbs of Morgantown. I said they were nearby and offered suburban living options in our area. Our whole area is basically accessable for everyone within a half hour and is comprised of several cities. In my view that is a highly positive thing in that it enables us to offer many of the same amenities as large cities, but we don't have the urban issues that face them... high crime rates, high concentrations of drug and violent crime activity, large ghetto areas and so forth. You can walk around any of our neighborhoods in NCWV and nearby Pennsylvania day or night in safety, and our diverse neighborhoods offer a wide variety of living options from mountainous areas near Hopwood, PA to a lovely lakeside community like Cheat Lake.

The fact that just within our city limits Morgantown grew by more than 5,000 people in the past 15 months attests to the desirability of living and working here. That is not to say we don't have our problems (namely traffic related), but they are not sufficient to discourage people from coming here to take advantage or our area's many wonderful attributes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
13,328 posts, read 12,342,880 times
Reputation: 8665
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Morgantown has a number of suburbs... Star City, Cheat Lake, Arthurdale, Maidsville, Granville, Westover, etc. Plus it is 15 minutes to Fairmont and their suburbs, 20 minutes to Waynesburg, 25 minutes to Uniontown, 25 minutes to Friendsville, MD, and 30 minutes to Clarksburg. You can live, play, and work in any of those places to and from here easily... within a half hour or less.

I'm not sure what your fixation is with high school sports. If you are a high school sports fan I'm sure you can find a team to support either place. We have two of them right here in Morgantown and numerous others in other locales nearby. You might have more of them "within" West Virginia there, but so what? How many of them do you support? And, you can only go to a game at one of them on a Friday night.
The locals (permanent residents) do support their local high schools teams here and Morgantown's team is among the best in West Virginia. It is probably, however, not among the best in our region because the teams in PA seem to be a little better overall.

As you know, that is basically a moot point because for the vast majority of people sports in our state primarily concern The Mountaineers. They happen to be located here. Nothing else in our state comes even remotely close.

If you look at the past decade, Morgantown has won the state high school football championship 4 times. The entire Kanawha Valley has only won it twice.

I wasn't aware that Cabell/Wayne played in the same league as the Kanawha schools. When did that start? In any event, we have lots of sports to watch around here and overall have a decided advantage over Charleston in that regard. West Virginia University Mountaineers - WVUsports.com
I don't know when it started, but the rivalry between Charleston High School and Huntington High School was quite active when my parents were in high school in the late 1930's. A few years ago, the Huntington High School team that had O.J. Mayo playing was considered one of the best basketball teams the state has ever seem. Cabell-Midland has been champion contenders in several sports in the past 10-12 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
13,328 posts, read 12,342,880 times
Reputation: 8665
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I thought Riverside was a good school in Charleston. I know GW is considered good.
Riverside is quite a distance from Charleston. People have the perception that GW is a first rate school. Many parents take their kids there on their way to work in Charleston, thinking the kids will get a better education than at the school near their home. I don't know any statistics about the qualities of the schools, but that is what some parents do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Riverside is quite a distance from Charleston. People have the perception that GW is a first rate school. Many parents take their kids there on their way to work in Charleston, thinking the kids will get a better education than at the school near their home. I don't know any statistics about the qualities of the schools, but that is what some parents do.

GW is the best academic school in WV, so I can see why someone would pick it over Riverside. And Riverside is less than a 15min drive from Charleston city limits, so I don't see how that is such a hike.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2012, 06:41 PM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Chris, I didn't say they were suburbs of Morgantown. I said they were nearby and offered suburban living options in our area. Our whole area is basically accessable for everyone within a half hour and is comprised of several cities. In my view that is a highly positive thing in that it enables us to offer many of the same amenities as large cities, but we don't have the urban issues that face them... high crime rates, high concentrations of drug and violent crime activity, large ghetto areas and so forth. You can walk around any of our neighborhoods in NCWV and nearby Pennsylvania day or night in safety, and our diverse neighborhoods offer a wide variety of living options from mountainous areas near Hopwood, PA to a lovely lakeside community like Cheat Lake.

The fact that just within our city limits Morgantown grew by more than 5,000 people in the past 15 months attests to the desirability of living and working here. That is not to say we don't have our problems (namely traffic related), but they are not sufficient to discourage people from coming here to take advantage or our area's many wonderful attributes.
You have yet to mention a suburb other than Cheat Lake, so my point remains valid. You said they had more than one, so I don't see how backing up what you said with "I didn't say they were suburbs" really helps your case.

And so your also saying that because Uniontown, Waynesburg, Friendville, ect... are "close by" that makes life better in Morgatown? Interesting Charleston has great towns that are alot closer, and offer alot more than those places. Example South Charleston, Saint Albans, Cross Lanes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,299,498 times
Reputation: 1782
Chris, come up here and look around. They are developing "suburbs" all over the place here. Westover has areas of major new construction. So does Granville and Star City. Unincorparated developed areas are springing up at a rapid pace. Construction is booming... some would say too quickly, and definitely too quickly in relation to the horrible job state government is doing in terms of its responsibility to provide adequate infrastructure to meet demand. South Park is located within city limits, but much of it has the characteristic of a suburb. And, I know lots of people who live outside of Uniontown but who work here.

I never could understand the mentality of you Charleston people, who somehow have to hold to the notion that you are bigger or have more? It defies logic, and the only reason I could attach to it is the relative isolation of the place down there means you have to cling to such notions to provide some sort of feeling of relevance. Even if Charleston were as large and prosperous as you purport (and aside from locals there nobody believes for a minute that it is), it is not large enough or significant enough to have meaning any place but in that immediate region. Other parts of the state are actually located near real cities, and they look in those directions for many things, not in the direction of small and comparitively isolated Charleston.

Now Charleston does have political significance here, but more often than not that carries a negative connotation rather than a positive one. We see the idiots running things there as detriments to our prosperity and progress, and the giant sucking sound that we hear is your political hacks converting our precious resources into special interest pork for their own, mostly undeserving, constituents while lining their own pockets at our expense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 06:41 PM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
CT, There is not a notion that Charleston is somehow bigger and has more, it actually is and does. I go to Morgantown all the time (atleast once a month) because my sister lives their. You aren't fooling anyone with your attempts to make Morgantown into something its not. Suburbs are busting from the ground like you want everyone to believe. Sure they are building some stuff, but booming is far from it. You drive 10mins from downtown Morgantown and you are in farmlands, and in Charleston you are still within the city. Charleston is a economic leader in its region, where Morgantown gets sloppy seconds from Pittsburgh. Isolation pays to our advantage in that there is no competition.

Also a suburb isn't a couple of new subdivisons. Its an actually community that supports the main city, and Morgantown doesn't have that. So stop kidding yourself. Its not a big deal if Morgantown doesn't have it.

Why are you so focoused out of state. All you can come on here and say is that Morgantown and the EP are located near "Real Cities" and that that makes them better. In all honesty, no that doesn't make them better because they are living and feeding off of another state's acomplishments. Charleston built from scratch, and affects an entire region with no help from anyone else. Charleston gets crap from people like you, but in truth should be rewarded for what it has.

Morgatown is still ok, just not Charleston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 PM
 
6,347 posts, read 8,906,063 times
Reputation: 1786
Har
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
CT, There is not a notion that Charleston is somehow bigger and has more, it actually is and does. I go to Morgantown all the time (atleast once a month) because my sister lives their. You aren't fooling anyone with your attempts to make Morgantown into something its not. Suburbs are busting from the ground like you want leatoneveryone to believe. Sure they are building some stuff, but booming is far from it. You drive 10mins from downtown Morgantown and you are in farmlands, and in Charleston you are still within the city. Charleston is a economic leader in its region, where Morgantown gets sloppy seconds from Pittsburgh. Isolation pays to our advantage in that there is no competition.

Also a suburb isn't a couple of new subdivisons. Its an actually community that supports the main city, and Morgantown doesn't have that. So stop kidding yourself. Its not a big deal if Morgantown doesn't have it.

Why are you so focoused out of state. All you can come on here and say is that Morgantown and the EP are located near "Real Cities" and that that makes them better. In all honesty, no that doesn't make them better because they are living and feeding off of another state's acomplishments. Charleston built from scratch, and affects an entire region with no help from anyone else. Charleston gets crap from people like you, but in truth should be rewarded for what it has.

Morgatown is still ok, just not Charleston.
I disagree. Construction is booming in morgantown, and outside while it is rotting in Charleston. There is no competition to Charleston because there is nothing there. It represents a bygone era that will never come back.

Morgantown is only OK, but I would rate it leagues ahead of Charleston. Charleston is just too empty with nothing going on but some people prefer that to the more modern and urban morgantown.

Finally, Chris you dont know what a suburb is. Your definition of one might be correct in your head, but nowhere else.

Here is a wikipedia article on it.

Quote:
A suburb is a residential area, either existing as part of a city (as in Australia and New Zealand, and generally in the United Kingdom) or as a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city (as in the United States and Canada). Some suburbs have a degree of administrative autonomy, and most have lower population density than inner city neighborhoods.
Read this and learn something instead of making things up as you argue.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 07-04-2012 at 10:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 07:11 AM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Har


I disagree. Construction is booming in morgantown, and outside while it is rotting in Charleston. There is no competition to Charleston because there is nothing there. It represents a bygone era that will never come back.

Morgantown is only OK, but I would rate it leagues ahead of Charleston. Charleston is just too empty with nothing going on but some people prefer that to the more modern and urban morgantown.

Finally, Chris you dont know what a suburb is. Your definition of one might be correct in your head, but nowhere else.

Here is a wikipedia article on it.



Read this and learn something instead of making things up as you argue.
Once again you use wikipedia as a sourse

Just because my definition of a suburb is different than that, that doesn't mean what I said isn't true. I mean seriously, everything I said is true about a suburb.

Charleston was recently ranked 5th in the nation in new construction jobs in compasrison to every national metro area, so your arguement that we aren't building anything down here is 100% wrong.Construction jobs up in Charleston* - Kanawha County - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
We are building things too, and our city is modern and upgrading itself over and over again.

Morgantown is growing, but booming is a strong word that should be saved for places that build cookie cutter houses every 5 seconds like Houston or Dallas. Your right though, Morgantown and Charleston aren't in the same league. Morgantown is a small town that has a college and some good aspects, while charleston is a small city with a regional influence. We have a real downtown, real urban characteristic, and offer more than university related things to do. Plus our city is just overall nicer and more livable.

Seeing how (from your own mouth) you haven't really experienced Charleston, I'd suggest you'd stop trying to tag it form what you've seen from the highway. Maybe you should actually spend time in a place before you judge it. I spend lots of time in Mtown, because my sister lives there. I was there last Sunday/Monday. There is not much to do for people who don't go to school at WVU, or attend sporting events. Shopping is very limited, and the place is shut down in the summer. Charleston on the other hand (when power is on LOL) is a place where someone can actually stroll through downtown and shop, dine, and visit art displays or museums.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
 
6,347 posts, read 8,906,063 times
Reputation: 1786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Once again you use wikipedia as a sourse

Just because my definition of a suburb is different than that, that doesn't mean what I said isn't true. I mean seriously, everything I said is true about a suburb.

Charleston was recently ranked 5th in the nation in new construction jobs in compasrison to every national metro area, so your arguement that we aren't building anything down here is 100% wrong.Construction jobs up in Charleston* - Kanawha County - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
We are building things too, and our city is modern and upgrading itself over and over again.

Morgantown is growing, but booming is a strong word that should be saved for places that build cookie cutter houses every 5 seconds like Houston or Dallas. Your right though, Morgantown and Charleston aren't in the same league. Morgantown is a small town that has a college and some good aspects, while charleston is a small city with a regional influence. We have a real downtown, real urban characteristic, and offer more than university related things to do. Plus our city is just overall nicer and more livable.

Seeing how (from your own mouth) you haven't really experienced Charleston, I'd suggest you'd stop trying to tag it form what you've seen from the highway. Maybe you should actually spend time in a place before you judge it. I spend lots of time in Mtown, because my sister lives there. I was there last Sunday/Monday. There is not much to do for people who don't go to school at WVU, or attend sporting events. Shopping is very limited, and the place is shut down in the summer. Charleston on the other hand (when power is on LOL) is a place where someone can actually stroll through downtown and shop, dine, and visit art displays or museums.
Chris your definition is only right to you. I could define a suburb has a place with no people and lots of cats
In my head that would be right but nowhere else.

A house coming up every five seconds in wv is a boom.

You might consider morgantown a small town, but it has approx the same number of people as charleston, is mote dense, and in a real metropolitan area so by your own logic Charleston would be a small government town.

As for more livable that is a matter of opinion and what one wants. Same with nicer.

Downtown Charleston is a ghost town during non working hours. Shopping and restaurants are about the same but morgantown is close to Pittsburgh. There is more to do in morgantown than Charleston so if you find morgantown lacking than you must be bored to tears in Charleston.

I wish Morgantown was dead on the summer but this is no longer the case with the growth the area has experienced.

You are right thought they are not in the same league. Morgantown is booming, young, cultured, fun, vibrant, prosperous hand close to other cities. Charleston is old, in the middle of nowhere, stagnant, boring, and is built on thievery and corruption.

Last edited by cry_havoc; 07-06-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top