U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 PM

939 posts, read 1,704,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
I have lived here in the Kanawha Valley for the past 10 years, and of course i'm partial to the Metro Valley. But i do have a friend that lives in Morgantown (lived in Charleston for a couple years after Law School), and he is very persistant that Mo'town is a much better city than Charleston is now. I haven't been visiting Morgantown as much to attend football or basketball games as much as i did 3-5 years ago. But how much has changed in the past 3 years?

Let's start some comparison/contrast on features about both cities.

I suggested that Charleston has a better infrastructure, and he chuckled, stating that he thought i was bragging because Charleston has better roads, and now he feels i'm getting old, haha. I keep hearing that Morgantown has better formal and informal dining, along with better housing.

I'm sure there will be differences of opinions as both towns are very different from each other. One may be better for families, while another may be better for the young professional. ect, ect.

I really can't wait to read some of the responses. I'll keep an open mind, and hope to learn a lot from this thread.
So Silk, you mentioned in another thread that you had a good experience there last weekend. Care to elaborate on your original topic?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 12:28 AM

6,347 posts, read 8,906,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker
I have lived here in the Kanawha Valley for the past 10 years, and of course i'm partial to the Metro Valley. But i do have a friend that lives in Morgantown (lived in Charleston for a couple years after Law School), and he is very persistant that Mo'town is a much better city than Charleston is now. I haven't been visiting Morgantown as much to attend football or basketball games as much as i did 3-5 years ago. But how much has changed in the past 3 years?

Let's start some comparison/contrast on features about both cities.

I suggested that Charleston has a better infrastructure, and he chuckled, stating that he thought i was bragging because Charleston has better roads, and now he feels i'm getting old, haha. I keep hearing that Morgantown has better formal and informal dining, along with better housing.

I'm sure there will be differences of opinions as both towns are very different from each other. One may be better for families, while another may be better for the young professional. ect, ect.

I really can't wait to read some of the responses. I'll keep an open mind, and hope to learn a lot from this thread.
Well, Morgantown is definitely better for a young professional, but for families either could work.

The university area is not family oriented, but plenty of areas of Morgantown are. It really depends what you want. Morgantown is more universal American, while Charleston is more Appalachian, white, and old fashioned. If you want the same type of place as a metropolitan area of a big city than Morgantown is for you. If you want to live in something less modern than Charleston is a better option.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Well, Morgantown is definitely better for a young professional, but for families either could work.

The university area is not family oriented, but plenty of areas of Morgantown are. It really depends what you want. Morgantown is more universal American, while Charleston is more Appalachian, white, and old fashioned. If you want the same type of place as a metropolitan area of a big city than Morgantown is for you. If you want to live in something less modern than Charleston is a better option.
This guy is right, there's no such thing as a modern, trendy community in or near Charleston. Ignore South Side (which has a ton of million dollar homes with awesome views) and all of the Valley developments of course.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
This guy is right, there's no such thing as a modern, trendy community in or near Charleston. Ignore South Side (which has a ton of million dollar homes with awesome views) and all of the Valley developments of course.
There are some, but nothing impressive.

Like I said Charleston is not bad, and is appealing to certain people. Instead of arguing for strengths Charleston doesnt have appreciate it for what it does have. It isnt a bad place. Old WV is friendly, for white christians, and goes back to a simpler easier time. It is not for me, but many people would love it for what it is.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
There are some, but nothing impressive.

Like I said Charleston is not bad, and is appealing to certain people. Instead of arguing for strengths Charleston doesnt have appreciate it for what it does have. It isnt a bad place. Old WV is friendly, for white christians, and goes back to a simpler easier time. It is not for me, but many people would love it for what it is.
As a non-white athiest, I'd like to ask your opinion on the cultural petri dish that is Morgantown. I personally found very little difference between the two areas, aside from Engineering and Medical departments at WVU. Where I live now, whites are the minority, I am truly in the "melting pot" if you will. However, my argument is not Motown vs a real city like Pittsburgh or DC, my argument is about MoTown vs Charleston, which you claim to be a backwards village, but I like to point out is a real city that consists of more than 3 blocks on High Street.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 AM

5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Quote:
Chris your definition is only right to you. I could define a suburb has a place with no people and lots of cats
In my head that would be right but nowhere else.

A house coming up every five seconds in wv is a boom.

You might consider morgantown a small town, but it has approx the same number of people as charleston, is mote dense, and in a real metropolitan area so by your own logic Charleston would be a small government town.

As for more livable that is a matter of opinion and what one wants. Same with nicer.

Downtown Charleston is a ghost town during non working hours. Shopping and restaurants are about the same but morgantown is close to Pittsburgh. There is more to do in morgantown than Charleston so if you find morgantown lacking than you must be bored to tears in Charleston.

I wish Morgantown was dead on the summer but this is no longer the case with the growth the area has experienced.

You are right thought they are not in the same league. Morgantown is booming, young, cultured, fun, vibrant, prosperous hand close to other cities. Charleston is old, in the middle of nowhere, stagnant, boring, and is built on thievery and corruption.
If you'd actually read my definition of a suburb you'd see that is describes a suburb very well. Just because it didn'r come from a text book doesn't mean its wrong.

I said cities like Dallas and Houston build houses every 5 seconds, not Morgantown. So again Mtown isn't booming. It is building pretty fast, but save the boom talk for real cities that build whole communities in a month.

And no Morgatown and Charleston aren't the same size. Mtown has 30,000 people in which a good chunck is college students that have moved into non traditional college living spaces. They are counted into that population and you count them twice. So in reality there is probably only half of the student population that you could count as temp residents. And alot of them live outside city limits. So again there is no 60,000 people that live in Mtown not by a long shot. throw in the surrounding area and you have an urban cluster of probably 80,000. And a metro area of maybe 120,000. Charleston on the other hand has 50,000. SC has 15,000, St Albans 12,000, and Dubar and Nitro each have 8,000. all of these communities are connected just like Star City and Westover are to Mtown. add in a few other areas like Cross Lanes (12,000) and that gives Charleston an urban cluster of 200,000. A metro area of 300,000. Morgantown isn't half that. And Morgatown is 40 miles from Pittsburgh's most southern suburb, so no it isn't part of that metro area.

Removed - do not be condescending and personal. Charleston's downtown is alive and well, and last night was no exception. My beautiful girlfriend and I had a very nice evening in downtown, and there was people crawing off the walls on capital St, and in the Town Center. Live Music every Friday evening on the levi, andall the restaurnats packed. I never run out of stuff to do here. You spend a day in Mtown and get tired, other than on gameday. I don't drink or party so there is nothing for me there.

Again Morgantown is nice, has a good college, and is growing, but not better than Charleston. Charleston is family friendly, has great parks, restaurants, shopping, museums, and culture. We have nice architecture, historic areas, and one of the best capitol complexes in America. The neighborhoods are the best in WV, our hospitals are nationally ranked aswell as our schools. We have everything you'd ever need, and we are in the growing again. Factories opening up, office buildings being built, and more restaurnats and shopping opening here. Plus our chemical industry is growing again and poised to be back on top in the international market sooner rather than later.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-09-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-07-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
As a non-white athiest, I'd like to ask your opinion on the cultural petri dish that is Morgantown. I personally found very little difference between the two areas, aside from Engineering and Medical departments at WVU. Where I live now, whites are the minority, I am truly in the "melting pot" if you will. However, my argument is not Motown vs a real city like Pittsburgh or DC, my argument is about MoTown vs Charleston, which you claim to be a backwards village, but I like to point out is a real city that consists of more than 3 blocks on High Street.
Morgantown is not cosmopolitan compared to somewhere like DC, NYC, parts of California, etc. However, compared to the rest of WV, including Charleston, it is a very diverse place.

Charleston is not backwords, for WV, but overall it is. Downtown looks nice, except for those ugly boxy buildings. I wish there was more going on in Charleston though. It feels like a ghost town and I wouldnt be surprised if tumble weeds were rolling along there. So, I dont know what you classify as a real city, but Charleston sure doesnt feel like one.

I admit that Morgantown is sprawly but it still has a lot more people, is more dense, and has more going on than Charleston. Some people would prefer the more quite and and stable Charleston to the hustle of Morgantown.

Gustavo, my point stands. Charleston is just bigger in land area, and the way statistics are counted they are given MUCH more land. It is just some bureaucrats arbitrary decision, and shows how statistics can be manipulated.

Morgantown is not some big city, nor is Charleston. However, Morgantown is more urban, dense, and connected with a real city. Charleston on the other hand is more of a big town that is surrounded by trees.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
If you'd actually read my definition of a suburb you'd see that is describes a suburb very well. Just because it didn'r come from a text book doesn't mean its wrong.

I said cities like Dallas and Houston build houses every 5 seconds, not Morgantown. So again Mtown isn't booming. It is building pretty fast, but save the boom talk for real cities that build whole communities in a month.

And no Morgatown and Charleston aren't the same size. Mtown has 30,000 people in which a good chunck is college students that have moved into non traditional college living spaces. They are counted into that population and you count them twice. So in reality there is probably only half of the student population that you could count as temp residents. And alot of them live outside city limits. So again there is no 60,000 people that live in Mtown not by a long shot. throw in the surrounding area and you have an urban cluster of probably 80,000. And a metro area of maybe 120,000. Charleston on the other hand has 50,000. SC has 15,000, St Albans 12,000, and Dubar and Nitro each have 8,000. all of these communities are connected just like Star City and Westover are to Mtown. add in a few other areas like Cross Lanes (12,000) and that gives Charleston an urban cluster of 200,000. A metro area of 300,000. Morgantown isn't half that. And Morgatown is 40 miles from Pittsburgh's most southern suburb, so no it isn't part of that metro area.

Removed - do not be condescending and personal. Charleston's downtown is alive and well, and last night was no exception. My beautiful girlfriend and I had a very nice evening in downtown, and there was people crawing off the walls on capital St, and in the Town Center. Live Music every Friday evening on the levi, andall the restaurnats packed. I never run out of stuff to do here. You spend a day in Mtown and get tired, other than on gameday. I don't drink or party so there is nothing for me there.

Again Morgantown is nice, has a good college, and is growing, but not better than Charleston. Charleston is family friendly, has great parks, restaurants, shopping, museums, and culture. We have nice architecture, historic areas, and one of the best capitol complexes in America. The neighborhoods are the best in WV, our hospitals are nationally ranked aswell as our schools. We have everything you'd ever need, and we are in the growing again. Factories opening up, office buildings being built, and more restaurnats and shopping opening here. Plus our chemical industry is growing again and poised to be back on top in the international market sooner rather than later.
Chris, we have addressed this. There is a definition of suburb that is accepted by everyone. You can redefine suburb however you want, and to you it is correct. I dont dispute this. To anyone else it is not. We could define suburb as a McRib at McDonalds, and to one person it may be correct.

Morgantown is booming for WV, and is recognized as a boomtown and has even won awards for being a boomtown. So is it fair to compare Morgantown to some of the fastest growing cities with populations in the millions and than say,"well since Morgantown isnt growing that fast it isnt booming." That is ridiculous Chris. Here are the facts, we have one of the best economies in the country and we are booming. Housing is coming everywhere and it reminds me of Austin before the housing bubble burst. Our boom is good for Charleston as your cities primary source of income is taxation and redistribution.

Morgantown is bigger than Charleston. There are 30,000 people in Morgantown, than at least 10,000 in an area that connects with it that is still smaller than Charleston in land area, than there is 30,000 students. Morgantown is also becoming a new transplant towns and people just arent registering. So at the very best they are roughly equal, but more likely Morgantown has thousands more. In the same area we have more people both within the city limits and the MSA. I know it upsets that you have been surpassed but it is not a competition.

You want to include areas that are much further from Charleston, but Morgantown could do that too by throwing in fairmont and uniontown which are closer to central Morgantown than some of the cities you mentioned and still be bigger. We are just a more populated area, but it is broken into smaller unincorporated areas, whereas in Charleston it is considered one area. If someone wanted they could classify the whole state of WV as one big city and it would have a bigger population than say, Boston, but when you consider the amount of people in the same area it is much smaller.

Charleston is a ghost town. Removed - do not be condescending and personal.

Charleston is a small quiet backwoods town. It is a nice place. The decline may have stopped and perhaps the population will finally stabilize. Neither is simply, "better," but either can be better for certain things. It varies from person to person. I dont doubt that Charleston is a better fit for you, and someone who wants a more local, Appalachian lifestyle, and to escape the world would be better off in Charleston.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-09-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 AM

9,188 posts, read 31,318,988 times
NOTE: Comments are getting awful personal folks. Stick to ONLY the topic and not taking jabs at each other please.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:58 AM

13,328 posts, read 12,342,880 times
You don't get to make up your own definitions for words. In order to communicate with other human beings, you have to use the accepted meanings for words.

Here's the dictionary definition for suburb:

sub·urb (noun)

1. a district lying immediately outside a city or town, especially a smaller residential community.

Therefore, Kanawha City is NOT a suburb of Charleston, but Dunbar IS.

Somebody said downtown Charleston was dead. I would question when you were last in downtown Charleston. Pies & Pints, Adelphia and other restaurants/clubs are packed with people all evening. They now have tables outside on the sidewalk. On Friday evenings, Haddad Riverfront Park is packed full with people coming to hear live music.

Downtown Charleston is definitely NOT dead. Whoever said that, have you ever been to Charleston?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia