U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-14-2012, 08:04 AM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,299,498 times
Reputation: 1782

Advertisements

If I were to live in that area, Putnam is where I'd live too. Hurricane and Teays Valley are very nice communities in my opinion. The only drawbacks from my perspective would be the distance to Mountaineer sporting events, and since I like being outdoors there is a paucity of options there compared with what I'm used to having, but as communities go they are on a par with any place and would be good choices for living communities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:39 PM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Chris... Morgantown is larger than Charleston most of the year. It has more than 32,000 "permanent" residents and 25,000 resident students for a total population of 57,000 as opposed to 51,000 for Charleston. You can argue the merits of both towns as you wish, and they are very different places, but get the facts right. There is a whole lot more to do in Morgantown, especially during the week. It is generally safer here, especially after dark, and the overall education level here is much higher for obvious reasons.

Charleston does have more outlying communities in the immediate area, but that is due in large part to people wanting to avoid having their kids around Charleston per se. If I were to live there, I would be in Putnam County... definitely not Charleston.

The difference in education level creates a very different ambience in general. Morgantown is far more cosmopolitan in character while Charleston is more typically Appalachian, and while Charleston has a larger minority population, they are not nearly as well integrated into the general population as they are in Morgantown. You could argue that Charleston has more lawyers hanging around in downtown bars at 5pm, and I wouldn't disagree with that, but as to overall nightlife there is just no comparison. Morgantown wins hands down.

Other factors to consider in a comparison would be proximity to great outdoor venues... again a Morgantown advantage, proximity to real cities vs. relative isolation... Morgantown head and shoulders above Charleston in that regard, and prospects for future development... again no comparison as everyone agrees Morgantown will continue growing at a fast rate for at least decades to come. Charleston is static at best, especially when compared with Morgantown.
Again, all 25,000 WVU students that are considered temp residents don't live in the city limits. I'd say thousands (number unknown), so no Morgantown doesn't have as much as Charleston. With that being said, people that go to school there shouldn't be counted in any population numbers because they only stay there for 4-5 years (some much shorter). I for example will be going to school in Florida this coming year. Why should someone like me, who pays tax in WV, votes in WV, and calls it home, be counted in Florida's (or for that matter Tampa's) population? I shouldn't and neither should the thousands of students that come from out of town to study in Morgantown. I'm not saying ignore them though, because they sure do create the atmosphere there

Plus Charleston, like Morgantown, is just more than its citylimits. There is an urban cluster of 200,000 people here, and our city feels more like a metro area then Morgantown.

And the only things that you can do in Mtown that you can't do in Charleston is built around "college life" which is not a positive thing in my opinion. And Charleston is seeing a pattern of industrial and research growth, so no it is not 'static'. In fact, with our tech park booming with growth and modernization don't be suprized if more chemical based companies locate here. We are also getting WV's first Craker Plant. Gastamp is opening a plant here, which will provide over 200 good paying jobs. CAMC is getting ready to build WV's largest cancer center, which will create more jobs. We are growing, just hasn't shown yet in population count.

We are also close to great recreation and outdoor venues, plus we have our own great parks and recreation venues. And we might be in your terms isolated, but in reality we are still within a few hours of several major cities. After 35 is complete there will be expresslane highway directly connecting Charleston with both Cincy and Columbus.

The truth is that the two aren't alike. Charleston is a small city with a urban atmosphere, has great neighborhoods, and offers everything you'd need out of a city. Morgantown is a small college town atmosphere, is poorly planned, and has a nasty reputation from its college student population. Still is a good place and I'd recommend it, its just not like Charleston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,299,498 times
Reputation: 1782
Chris, the vast majority of our students live in the city limits. There are approximately 5000 students who are either "permanent" residents due to their parents residing here, or who live in one of the complexes on the outskirts of town. Morgantown easily has more people living there most of the year than Charleston. For that matter, so does Huntington. People don't have to be registered to vote to be considered living some place. They pay rent... they sleep... they get up and go to work or class, and they are residents.
The only reason they are not considered "permanent" is their parents get tax deductions for paying their expenses, and because after 4 or 5 years they graduate and move on to be replaced by others who do the same thing.

In fact, our student count is increasing too, although not as fast as is the number of permanent residents.
But just as important as the sheer number of people living here is the activity level of those people. This place literally bustles with activity. Aside from Friday and Saturday nights, Charleston rolls up the sidewalks by 7pm. It's population is far older, less educated, and in general less active. Ours is vibrant, growing, and thriving. Charleston wins the Geritol award. Morgantown is one of the hottest locations in the country these days. It's nice that you folks got the mini Cabelas to supply those Hatfield - McCoy Trail folks and all, but the level of growth activity is very different overall.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 05:07 PM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Chris, the vast majority of our students live in the city limits. There are approximately 5000 students who are either "permanent" residents due to their parents residing here, or who live in one of the complexes on the outskirts of town. Morgantown easily has more people living there most of the year than Charleston. For that matter, so does Huntington. People don't have to be registered to vote to be considered living some place. They pay rent... they sleep... they get up and go to work or class, and they are residents.
The only reason they are not considered "permanent" is their parents get tax deductions for paying their expenses, and because after 4 or 5 years they graduate and move on to be replaced by others who do the same thing.

In fact, our student count is increasing too, although not as fast as is the number of permanent residents.
But just as important as the sheer number of people living here is the activity level of those people. This place literally bustles with activity. Aside from Friday and Saturday nights, Charleston rolls up the sidewalks by 7pm. It's population is far older, less educated, and in general less active. Ours is vibrant, growing, and thriving. Charleston wins the Geritol award. Morgantown is one of the hottest locations in the country these days. It's nice that you folks got the mini Cabelas to supply those Hatfield - McCoy Trail folks and all, but the level of growth activity is very different overall.
you and I both know that all 25,000 or so students that go to WVU that aren't counted as residents don't live in city limits. Maybe a 1/3 doesn't, so that would only be 16-17,000 added onto the 30,000. And no they shouldn't be counted because they are already included as residents somewhere else. If you counted things like that, our country would have a population like 400 million, due to college students and snow birds.

And sorry charleston is more active then you give it credit for. The dining scene in Charleston is almost explosive, and every night its hard to find parking in downtown. Sorry that our "nightlife is more mature than Mtown's". The worst it gets here is a few packed bars, up there you have out of control partying that floods into night clubs and people's houses that is an ugly mark on WVU and the state. Need some examples?


I'm Shmacked The Movie - West Virginia University : St. Patricks Day feat. Huey Mack (2012) - YouTube


I'm Shmacked The Movie : Trailer #3 - West Virginia University feat. Huey Mack (2011) - YouTube
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 10:33 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,299,498 times
Reputation: 1782
Yep, the college kids, like college kids everywhere, do party. So what? You think that somehow gives us a bad name? Get real. If that were the case how would you explain this...

Charleston's Population : 51,400. Percent change since 2000 = -3.8%. Median age including all the elementary school aged kids = 41.7 years. Percentage of people with a bachelors degree = 17.6% masters degree 8% doctroal degree 1.5%. Unemployment rate = 5.4%. Crime index = 485

Morgantown's permanent resident population = 32,000+. Percent change since 2000 = + 11%. Median age, also including all the elementary school aged kids but not including the transient resident college students = 22.6 years. Percentage of people with a bachelors degree = 21.1% masters degree 14.8% doctoral degree 7.1% Unemployment rate = 4.5% Crime index = 210 (lower is better, US average = 280).

Most importantly, we didn't have this... Home Break-ins after Storms Trouble Charleston Community

Morgantown bests Charleston in virtually every measurable category.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 08:18 AM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Yep, the college kids, like college kids everywhere, do party. So what? You think that somehow gives us a bad name? Get real. If that were the case how would you explain this...

Charleston's Population : 51,400. Percent change since 2000 = -3.8%. Median age including all the elementary school aged kids = 41.7 years. Percentage of people with a bachelors degree = 17.6% masters degree 8% doctroal degree 1.5%. Unemployment rate = 5.4%. Crime index = 485

Morgantown's permanent resident population = 32,000+. Percent change since 2000 = + 11%. Median age, also including all the elementary school aged kids but not including the transient resident college students = 22.6 years. Percentage of people with a bachelors degree = 21.1% masters degree 14.8% doctoral degree 7.1% Unemployment rate = 4.5% Crime index = 210 (lower is better, US average = 280).

Most importantly, we didn't have this... Home Break-ins after Storms Trouble Charleston Community

Morgantown bests Charleston in virtually every measurable category.
No, college students don't act like that everywhere and its not an excuse for that kind of behavior. You are the one trying to debate that Morgantown has a more "educated" population, but yet the students are the majority of the population. I am a college student, its not acceptable!!! You see, its liberal thoughts like this that make me wonder what direct our country is heading. If its in the direction the students on those videos are heading then I'd rather live in an isolated city like Charleston. Lucky for me, this Fall I get to attend a college that more mature on every level.

And with every city comes crime, Morgantown again isn't a real city but does have crime to. We have some shady spots, but when disaster strikes like a couple weeks ago people get desperate. Sorry that the storm pretty much missed Morgantown, but it was bad enough to see an impact in theft here. Its not a good thing, but using a clip from when our area was under a national emergency isn't a good example.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 06:23 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,299,498 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
No, college students don't act like that everywhere and its not an excuse for that kind of behavior. You are the one trying to debate that Morgantown has a more "educated" population, but yet the students are the majority of the population. I am a college student, its not acceptable!!! You see, its liberal thoughts like this that make me wonder what direct our country is heading. If its in the direction the students on those videos are heading then I'd rather live in an isolated city like Charleston. Lucky for me, this Fall I get to attend a college that more mature on every level.

And with every city comes crime, Morgantown again isn't a real city but does have crime to. We have some shady spots, but when disaster strikes like a couple weeks ago people get desperate. Sorry that the storm pretty much missed Morgantown, but it was bad enough to see an impact in theft here. Its not a good thing, but using a clip from when our area was under a national emergency isn't a good example.
Chris, you're sort of reaching there, aren't you young man? We don't have any "real" cities in our state, but of the towns we have, your Charleston is about twice as dangerous a place as my Morgantown. You didn't mention where you go to school. There are some basically teachers colleges in West Virginia located in small towns, removed from just about anywhere, where there is little to do, and I would imagine that negatively affects the ability to cut loose and have a good party. Or, you could be one of those folks who just don't party. That's fine, but don't you imagine that out of our 30,000 students we have a contingent that doesn't party too? Of course we do. Everyone marches to his own drummer. We have a lot of drummers in Morgantown. My hunch is there aren't very many of them where you go to school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 09:06 PM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Chris, you're sort of reaching there, aren't you young man? We don't have any "real" cities in our state, but of the towns we have, your Charleston is about twice as dangerous a place as my Morgantown. You didn't mention where you go to school. There are some basically teachers colleges in West Virginia located in small towns, removed from just about anywhere, where there is little to do, and I would imagine that negatively affects the ability to cut loose and have a good party. Or, you could be one of those folks who just don't party. That's fine, but don't you imagine that out of our 30,000 students we have a contingent that doesn't party too? Of course we do. Everyone marches to his own drummer. We have a lot of drummers in Morgantown. My hunch is there aren't very many of them where you go to school.
I go to Word of Life Bible Institute in Hudson, FL. No students don't act like they do in Morgantown, and no I don't like to party. I think that there are better more mature things for college age students to do then party. And of course WVU has students that don't party, but wouldn't you say that a large portion do. WVU is ranked as a party school every year for a reason, and in my opinion its a negative rating for a school. Some young adults base their whole college choice on party atmosphere, and make bad choices because of it. WVU would be a much better place it could get rid of this nasty reputation.

Charleston's crime rate is bad, but its not unlivable or noticable to the average person. In fact, I'd say that it is just as safe if not more than any other city its size. Most crime is typical of the type of urban culture that is around here. Thats not to say that its on the same scale as Detriot, but its here. I'm not saying its great, but in all my years I might have witnessed one crime here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,299,498 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I go to Word of Life Bible Institute in Hudson, FL. No students don't act like they do in Morgantown, and no I don't like to party. I think that there are better more mature things for college age students to do then party. And of course WVU has students that don't party, but wouldn't you say that a large portion do. WVU is ranked as a party school every year for a reason, and in my opinion its a negative rating for a school. Some young adults base their whole college choice on party atmosphere, and make bad choices because of it. WVU would be a much better place it could get rid of this nasty reputation.

Charleston's crime rate is bad, but its not unlivable or noticable to the average person. In fact, I'd say that it is just as safe if not more than any other city its size. Most crime is typical of the type of urban culture that is around here. Thats not to say that its on the same scale as Detriot, but its here. I'm not saying its great, but in all my years I might have witnessed one crime here.
Well, I certainly respect your attendance at a Bible institute, and understand the built in bias against a party attitude that goes along with that, but don't you think it is a bit presumptious to criticize others if they choose to have a good time? West Virginia is generally ranked among the best places to have a good time. So is Wisconsin, Indiana, SUNY Albany, and several other schools. It hasn't damaged us one bit. In fact, enrollment applications are at an all time high, admissions criteria are rising, research is growing by leaps and bounds, athletics are at an exciting and successful place, records are being broken in terms of donations to the school... things are going pretty well at WVU these days. I'm sure they are fine in Hudson too, it's just that we do things a bit differently around here. You can go here and hang out with folks who don't party, or you can join in he fun. That is an individual choice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 AM
 
Location: 304
5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Well, I certainly respect your attendance at a Bible institute, and understand the built in bias against a party attitude that goes along with that, but don't you think it is a bit presumptious to criticize others if they choose to have a good time? West Virginia is generally ranked among the best places to have a good time. So is Wisconsin, Indiana, SUNY Albany, and several other schools. It hasn't damaged us one bit. In fact, enrollment applications are at an all time high, admissions criteria are rising, research is growing by leaps and bounds, athletics are at an exciting and successful place, records are being broken in terms of donations to the school... things are going pretty well at WVU these days. I'm sure they are fine in Hudson too, it's just that we do things a bit differently around here. You can go here and hang out with folks who don't party, or you can join in he fun. That is an individual choice.
Trust me, as a person that has grown up around mountaineer sports and currently has dozens of friends that attend WVU, its hard to get away from the party atmosphere. You'd almost have to leave the town in order to be away from it. I remember visiting my friends at their dorm on Sunnyside after the Cincy game 2010. Even though your not the one part of it, its sphere of influence is hard to ignore or get away from. People that party in Mtown ususally do it out on a porch, or in the yard, or on the street, and even in downtown. Sure people have the right to party like that, but overall is it really helping WVU or the non-party people of Morganton and WV? Sure enrollment is up, most of those kids go to WVU just to party (ask about half the kids I graduated with). Im not even making this about morals. You can't paint one picture of morgantown as a well educated, highend, decent place to live, and then within that picture paint it as a place to start riots, get drunk until your body stops working, and generate as much volume as possible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top