U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2009, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,946 posts, read 3,649,859 times
Reputation: 565

Advertisements

That's a pretty busy schedule for such a small town.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,571 posts, read 7,762,452 times
Reputation: 835
If you want to be fair and really compare, here's the list for Huntington CT. Nearly twice the stuff going on in Huntington using the same criteria. And I didn't even include everything. Now let's let the people decide:



Friday, October 16, 12 pm Music Alive Series: Music of Barber and beyond (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Oct 15-18 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Dan Davidson

October 14-17 at 8pm Waiting for Lefty by Clifford Odetes

October 18 Create WV Conference

Sunday October 18 Mountain Stage with Kathy Mattea and others

Monday, October 19, 8 pm Faculty Recital: Solen Dikener, cello & Turev Berki, piano

Thursday, October 22, 8 pm 12.0 Jazz Ensemble with Dr. Barrington Coleman, jazz vocalist

October 22-25 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Jim Short

Friday, October 23, 8 pm Guest Artist: Andre de Moura and Eduardo Meirinhos, guitar

Saturday October 24 Marshall Football vs UAB

Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:00pm Silly Symphonies

Monday, October 26, 8 pm OctTuba Fest I

Tuesday, October 27, 8 pm Guest Recital: Glenn Wilson, saxophone

Wednesday, October 28, 8 pm OctTuba Fest II

Thursday October 29 Avett Brothers at the Keith Albee PAC

October 29- November1 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Disgruntled Clown

Thursday, October 29, 7 pm Junior Recital: Austin Seybert, trombone (Jomie Jazz Forum)

Thursday, October 29, 8 pm University Chorus

Saturday, October 31 Tri-State Marching Festival (Joan C. Edwards Stadium)

Tuesday, November 3, 8 PM Avenue Q

Wednesday, November 4, 8 pm Guest Recital: Tim Coffman, trombone (Jomie Jazz Center)

November 5-8 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Brad Williams

Thursday, November 5, 8 pm Percussion Ensemble

Thursday November 5 REO Speedwagon and Styx

November 6-8 Fall International Film Festival

Friday, November 6 &Saturday, November 7 High School Choral Festival

Saturday November 7 Dancing with the Tri-State Stars

Sunday, November 8, 2 pm Nevelson Duo

Sunday, November 8, 3 pm Senior Recital: Sara Vorac, saxophone (Jomie Jazz Forum)

Monday, November 9, 5 pm Lecture: Sonata Form in Guitar Music of the Late Classical and Early Romantic Periods (Smith Music Room 112)

Tuesday November 10 MU Basketball vs WV Wesleyan

Thursday, November 12, 8 pm Jazz 12.1 Ensemble

Friday, November 13, 12 pm Music Alive Series: Degas String Quartet (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Friday, November 13, 8 pm Senior Recital: Natasha Beverly, trumpet (Jomie jazz Center)

Saturday November 14 Marshall Football vs Southern Miss

Saturday November 14 Daughtry with Theory of a Deadman and Cavo

Sunday November 15 MU Basketball vs North Carolina

Sunday, November 15, 3 pm Chamber Choir

Sunday, November 15, 8 pm Junior Recital: Jason Breslin, guitar

Sunday, November 15, 6 pm Junior Recital: Isaac Winland, trumpet

Monday, November 16, 8 pm Guitar Ensemble

Tuesday November 17 MU Basketball vs Middle Tennessee State

Tuesday, November 17, 8 pm Senior Recital: William Richards & Justin Wiget, voice (Jomie Jazz Center)

November 18-22 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Tennessee Tramp

Wednesday, November 18, 8 pm Faculty Recital: George Palton & Michael Stroeher, euphonium (Jomie Jazz Forum)

Nov. 18-21, 8 pm Almost Maine

Thursday, November 19, 8 pm Jazz 12.0 Ensemble

Friday November 20 Gary Allen

Friday, November 20, 8 pm Senior Recital: Shirelle Yuhase, tuba (Jomie Jazz Forum)

Friday, November 20, 7 pm Graduate Recital: Burcu Korkmaz, voice

Saturday November 21 Marshall Football vs SMU

Sunday November 22 Imagination Movers

Wednesday November 25 MU Basketball vs Lamar

Sunday, November 29, 3 pm Senior Recital: Matthew Sparks, voice

Monday November 30, 8 PM The Rat Pack is Back! Here for the Holidays

Wednesday, December 2, 8 pm *Orchestra

December 3-6 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Matt Kazam

Thursday December 3 MU Basketball vs Salem International

Thursday, December 3, 12 pm Secondary Piano Recital

Thursday, December 3, 8 pm Wind Symphony

Thursday, December 3, 6 pm Guest Recital: Due East (Jomie Jazz Center)

Friday, December 4, 8 pm Senior Recital: Beau Cayton, saxophone (Jomie Jazz Center)

Saturday, December 5, 8 pm &Sunday, December 6, 3 pm Choral Union

Monday, December 7, 8 pm Jazz Combos Recital (Jomie Jazz Center)

Tuesday, December 8, 8 pm Symphonic Band

December 10-13 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Michael Winslow

December 10-11, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

December 11 Gaither Homecoming: The Christmas Tour

Saturday December 12 MU Basketball vs Troy

Wednesday December 16 MU Basketball vs Brescia

December 17-20 Funny Bone Comedy Club: The Midnight Swinger

Saturday December 19, 8 PM Huntington Symphony Holiday Spectacular

Sunday December 20 MU Basketball vs High Point

Saturday, January 2 MU Basketball vs St Bonaventure

Tuesday, January 5 MU Basketball vs Southern Miss

Sunday, January 10, 2 pm Young People's Concert Competition

Monday January 11 An Evening with Betro Perez, Creator of Zumba

Saturday January 16 MU Basketball vs Tulane

Sunday January 17 Harlem Globetrotters

Thursday, January 21, 8 pm Faculty Recital: Julio Alves, guitar & Wendell Dobbs, flute

Friday, January 22 Middle School Band Festival

Saturday January 23 MU Basketball vs UAB

Saturday, January 23 Flute Day (Jomie Jazz Center)

Wednesday January 27 MU Basketball vs Memphis

Friday, January 29, 12 pm Music Alive Series: US Premiere of Akses String Trio (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Thursday - Saturday, January 28 -* January 30 Winter Jazz Festival (Jomie Jazz Center)

Thursday, February 4, 8 pm Guest Recital: Carol Ann Barry, piano

Saturday February 6 MU Basketball vs East Carolina

Saturday, February 6 Solo & Ensemble Contest

Sunday, February 7, 3 pm Orchestra Concerto Competition

Tuesday February 9 MU Basketball vs Rio Grande

February 8-9 Cats: Original Broadway Production

Wednesday, February 10, 8 pm Faculty Recital: Stephen Lawson, horn

Thursday, February 11, 8 pm Senior Recital: Emilea Burgh, clarinet

Friday, February 12, 8 pm Junior Recital: Kaitlin DeSpain & Michael Rose, voice

Saturday February 13, 8 PM Huntington Symphony Dreams of America with Alexander Tutunov

Sunday, February 14, 3 pm Opera Workshop

Wednesday February 17 MU Basketball vs Tulsa

Thursday - Saturday, February 18 - 20 High School Festival Band

Saturday, February 20 Department of Music Auditions

Tuesday February 23, 8 PM An Evening with Lucille Ball: "Thank You for Asking,"

Wednesday, February 24, 8 pm Junior Recital: Alyssa Hughes, clarinet

February 24-27 Born Yesterday

Friday, February 26, 8 pm Faculty Recital: The Works of Louis Andriessen

Saturday February 27 MU Basketball vs UCF

Saturday, February 27 West Virginia Educators Jazz Ratings Festival

Tuesday March 2 MU Basketball vs UTEP

Tuesday, March 2, 7:30 pm Young People's Concert

March 5-7 Spring International Film Festival

Friday, March 5 12 pm Music* Alive Series: Capital Piano Trio (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Saturday, March 6 Society of Composers, Inc. (SCI) Student National Conference

Sunday, March 7, 3 pm Lynum Jackson Competition

Sunday, March 7, 8 pm Guest Artist: Andres Saborio

Monday, March 8, 8 pm Guest Artist Recital: Duo Montagnard

Thursday, March 11, 8 pm Woodwinds Ensemble Concert

Friday, March 12, 8 pm Junior Recital: Zachary Merritt, saxophone
Saturday, March 13 Single Reed Day

Sunday, March 14, 6 pm Senior Recital: Joy Nicole McComas, piano

Monday March 15, 8 PM Mozart's Don Giovanni

Monday, March 15, 8 pm Guitar Ensemble

Saturday, March 20 West Virginia Festival of Trumpets (Jomie Jazz Center)

Saturday, March 20 Day of Percussion

Saturday, March 27 Jeslyn Dance Gallery Presents an Evening of Modern Dance

Thursday, April 8, 8 pm Percussion Ensemble

Thursday, April 8, 8 pm Senior Recital: Laura Simpson & Heather Elliott, flute

Friday, April 9, 12 pm Music Alive Series: Nevelson Duo (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Saturday, April 10 Tuba & Euphonium Day

Sunday, April 11, 3 pm Chamber Choir & University Chorus

Sunday, April 11, 8 pm Nevelson Duo

Thursday, April 15, 8 pm Senior Recital: Melody Cook, piano

Thursday, April 15, 8 pm Jazz Combos Recital (Jomie Jazz Center)

Saturday, April 17 Chamber Choir Invitational

Sunday, April 18, 3 pm Lynum Jackson Winner Recital

Monday, April 19, 8 pm Faculty Recital: Julio Alves, guitar

Wednesday, April 21, 8 pm Jazz 12.1 Ensemble

April 21-24 Our Country's Good by Timberlake Wertenbaker

Thursday, April 22, 8 pm Wind Symphony

Thursday April 22, 7:30 Lord of the Dance

Sunday, April 25, 3 pm Choral Union

Tuesday, April 27, 8 pm Orchestra

Wednesday, April 28, 8 pm Jazz 12.0 Ensemble

Thursday, April 29, 3:30 pm African Drum and Dance Ensemble

Thursday, April 29, 8 pm Symphonic Band

Saturday, May 15WVMTA Spring Performance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia 'Burbs
938 posts, read 2,684,763 times
Reputation: 589
And of all of those things in both cities, none of them are interesting at all except for the WVU games...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Morgantown WV
7 posts, read 14,116 times
Reputation: 14
Wait, wait, wait. How did Huntington get caught up in this? I lived in Huntington for 4 years. It cant even compare to Charleston, let alone Morgantown. Huntington is a great town to visit but not to live in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,571 posts, read 7,762,452 times
Reputation: 835
CT and I go way back on our disagreements, much to everyone else's chagrin. It was merely brought up to disprove his statement about superiority in WV for entertainment offerings. And living in Huntington and having lived in Morgantown for 6 years as well, I whole heartedly disagree with your statement.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 09:53 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,266,559 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
If you want to be fair and really compare, here's the list for Huntington CT. Nearly twice the stuff going on in Huntington using the same criteria. And I didn't even include everything. Now let's let the people decide:



Friday, October 16, 12 pm Music Alive Series: Music of Barber and beyond (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Oct 15-18 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Dan Davidson

October 14-17 at 8pm Waiting for Lefty by Clifford Odetes

October 18 Create WV Conference

Sunday October 18 Mountain Stage with Kathy Mattea and others

Monday, October 19, 8 pm Faculty Recital: Solen Dikener, cello & Turev Berki, piano

Thursday, October 22, 8 pm 12.0 Jazz Ensemble with Dr. Barrington Coleman, jazz vocalist

October 22-25 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Jim Short

Friday, October 23, 8 pm Guest Artist: Andre de Moura and Eduardo Meirinhos, guitar

Saturday October 24 Marshall Football vs UAB

Sunday, October 25, 2009 3:00pm Silly Symphonies

Monday, October 26, 8 pm OctTuba Fest I

Tuesday, October 27, 8 pm Guest Recital: Glenn Wilson, saxophone

Wednesday, October 28, 8 pm OctTuba Fest II

Thursday October 29 Avett Brothers at the Keith Albee PAC

October 29- November1 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Disgruntled Clown

Thursday, October 29, 7 pm Junior Recital: Austin Seybert, trombone (Jomie Jazz Forum)

Thursday, October 29, 8 pm University Chorus

Saturday, October 31 Tri-State Marching Festival (Joan C. Edwards Stadium)

Tuesday, November 3, 8 PM Avenue Q

Wednesday, November 4, 8 pm Guest Recital: Tim Coffman, trombone (Jomie Jazz Center)

November 5-8 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Brad Williams

Thursday, November 5, 8 pm Percussion Ensemble

Thursday November 5 REO Speedwagon and Styx

November 6-8 Fall International Film Festival

Friday, November 6 &Saturday, November 7 High School Choral Festival

Saturday November 7 Dancing with the Tri-State Stars

Sunday, November 8, 2 pm Nevelson Duo

Sunday, November 8, 3 pm Senior Recital: Sara Vorac, saxophone (Jomie Jazz Forum)

Monday, November 9, 5 pm Lecture: Sonata Form in Guitar Music of the Late Classical and Early Romantic Periods (Smith Music Room 112)

Tuesday November 10 MU Basketball vs WV Wesleyan

Thursday, November 12, 8 pm Jazz 12.1 Ensemble

Friday, November 13, 12 pm Music Alive Series: Degas String Quartet (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Friday, November 13, 8 pm Senior Recital: Natasha Beverly, trumpet (Jomie jazz Center)

Saturday November 14 Marshall Football vs Southern Miss

Saturday November 14 Daughtry with Theory of a Deadman and Cavo

Sunday November 15 MU Basketball vs North Carolina

Sunday, November 15, 3 pm Chamber Choir

Sunday, November 15, 8 pm Junior Recital: Jason Breslin, guitar

Sunday, November 15, 6 pm Junior Recital: Isaac Winland, trumpet

Monday, November 16, 8 pm Guitar Ensemble

Tuesday November 17 MU Basketball vs Middle Tennessee State

Tuesday, November 17, 8 pm Senior Recital: William Richards & Justin Wiget, voice (Jomie Jazz Center)

November 18-22 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Tennessee Tramp

Wednesday, November 18, 8 pm Faculty Recital: George Palton & Michael Stroeher, euphonium (Jomie Jazz Forum)

Nov. 18-21, 8 pm Almost Maine

Thursday, November 19, 8 pm Jazz 12.0 Ensemble

Friday November 20 Gary Allen

Friday, November 20, 8 pm Senior Recital: Shirelle Yuhase, tuba (Jomie Jazz Forum)

Friday, November 20, 7 pm Graduate Recital: Burcu Korkmaz, voice

Saturday November 21 Marshall Football vs SMU

Sunday November 22 Imagination Movers

Wednesday November 25 MU Basketball vs Lamar

Sunday, November 29, 3 pm Senior Recital: Matthew Sparks, voice

Monday November 30, 8 PM The Rat Pack is Back! Here for the Holidays

Wednesday, December 2, 8 pm *Orchestra

December 3-6 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Matt Kazam

Thursday December 3 MU Basketball vs Salem International

Thursday, December 3, 12 pm Secondary Piano Recital

Thursday, December 3, 8 pm Wind Symphony

Thursday, December 3, 6 pm Guest Recital: Due East (Jomie Jazz Center)

Friday, December 4, 8 pm Senior Recital: Beau Cayton, saxophone (Jomie Jazz Center)

Saturday, December 5, 8 pm &Sunday, December 6, 3 pm Choral Union

Monday, December 7, 8 pm Jazz Combos Recital (Jomie Jazz Center)

Tuesday, December 8, 8 pm Symphonic Band

December 10-13 Funny Bone Comedy Club: Michael Winslow

December 10-11, A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

December 11 Gaither Homecoming: The Christmas Tour

Saturday December 12 MU Basketball vs Troy

Wednesday December 16 MU Basketball vs Brescia

December 17-20 Funny Bone Comedy Club: The Midnight Swinger

Saturday December 19, 8 PM Huntington Symphony Holiday Spectacular

Sunday December 20 MU Basketball vs High Point

Saturday, January 2 MU Basketball vs St Bonaventure

Tuesday, January 5 MU Basketball vs Southern Miss

Sunday, January 10, 2 pm Young People's Concert Competition

Monday January 11 An Evening with Betro Perez, Creator of Zumba

Saturday January 16 MU Basketball vs Tulane

Sunday January 17 Harlem Globetrotters

Thursday, January 21, 8 pm Faculty Recital: Julio Alves, guitar & Wendell Dobbs, flute

Friday, January 22 Middle School Band Festival

Saturday January 23 MU Basketball vs UAB

Saturday, January 23 Flute Day (Jomie Jazz Center)

Wednesday January 27 MU Basketball vs Memphis

Friday, January 29, 12 pm Music Alive Series: US Premiere of Akses String Trio (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Thursday - Saturday, January 28 -* January 30 Winter Jazz Festival (Jomie Jazz Center)

Thursday, February 4, 8 pm Guest Recital: Carol Ann Barry, piano

Saturday February 6 MU Basketball vs East Carolina

Saturday, February 6 Solo & Ensemble Contest

Sunday, February 7, 3 pm Orchestra Concerto Competition

Tuesday February 9 MU Basketball vs Rio Grande

February 8-9 Cats: Original Broadway Production

Wednesday, February 10, 8 pm Faculty Recital: Stephen Lawson, horn

Thursday, February 11, 8 pm Senior Recital: Emilea Burgh, clarinet

Friday, February 12, 8 pm Junior Recital: Kaitlin DeSpain & Michael Rose, voice

Saturday February 13, 8 PM Huntington Symphony Dreams of America with Alexander Tutunov

Sunday, February 14, 3 pm Opera Workshop

Wednesday February 17 MU Basketball vs Tulsa

Thursday - Saturday, February 18 - 20 High School Festival Band

Saturday, February 20 Department of Music Auditions

Tuesday February 23, 8 PM An Evening with Lucille Ball: "Thank You for Asking,"

Wednesday, February 24, 8 pm Junior Recital: Alyssa Hughes, clarinet

February 24-27 Born Yesterday

Friday, February 26, 8 pm Faculty Recital: The Works of Louis Andriessen

Saturday February 27 MU Basketball vs UCF

Saturday, February 27 West Virginia Educators Jazz Ratings Festival

Tuesday March 2 MU Basketball vs UTEP

Tuesday, March 2, 7:30 pm Young People's Concert

March 5-7 Spring International Film Festival

Friday, March 5 12 pm Music* Alive Series: Capital Piano Trio (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Saturday, March 6 Society of Composers, Inc. (SCI) Student National Conference

Sunday, March 7, 3 pm Lynum Jackson Competition

Sunday, March 7, 8 pm Guest Artist: Andres Saborio

Monday, March 8, 8 pm Guest Artist Recital: Duo Montagnard

Thursday, March 11, 8 pm Woodwinds Ensemble Concert

Friday, March 12, 8 pm Junior Recital: Zachary Merritt, saxophone
Saturday, March 13 Single Reed Day

Sunday, March 14, 6 pm Senior Recital: Joy Nicole McComas, piano

Monday March 15, 8 PM Mozart's Don Giovanni

Monday, March 15, 8 pm Guitar Ensemble

Saturday, March 20 West Virginia Festival of Trumpets (Jomie Jazz Center)

Saturday, March 20 Day of Percussion

Saturday, March 27 Jeslyn Dance Gallery Presents an Evening of Modern Dance

Thursday, April 8, 8 pm Percussion Ensemble

Thursday, April 8, 8 pm Senior Recital: Laura Simpson & Heather Elliott, flute

Friday, April 9, 12 pm Music Alive Series: Nevelson Duo (First Presbyterian Church, 1015 5th Avenue)

Saturday, April 10 Tuba & Euphonium Day

Sunday, April 11, 3 pm Chamber Choir & University Chorus

Sunday, April 11, 8 pm Nevelson Duo

Thursday, April 15, 8 pm Senior Recital: Melody Cook, piano

Thursday, April 15, 8 pm Jazz Combos Recital (Jomie Jazz Center)

Saturday, April 17 Chamber Choir Invitational

Sunday, April 18, 3 pm Lynum Jackson Winner Recital

Monday, April 19, 8 pm Faculty Recital: Julio Alves, guitar

Wednesday, April 21, 8 pm Jazz 12.1 Ensemble

April 21-24 Our Country's Good by Timberlake Wertenbaker

Thursday, April 22, 8 pm Wind Symphony

Thursday April 22, 7:30 Lord of the Dance

Sunday, April 25, 3 pm Choral Union

Tuesday, April 27, 8 pm Orchestra

Wednesday, April 28, 8 pm Jazz 12.0 Ensemble

Thursday, April 29, 3:30 pm African Drum and Dance Ensemble

Thursday, April 29, 8 pm Symphonic Band

Saturday, May 15WVMTA Spring Performance
Tim, there isn't twice the stuff going on... you double spaced the entries.
Easier to read double spaced. Good thinking Tim. The only problem is a big part of the entries are bush league athletics that few people attend. You have North Carolina coming to Huntington (you must mean mens basketball, or I'm sure you would have pointed out the difference). Sorry fellow, but that's hard to believe. Surely you mean the Herd is playing a game AT North Carolina. Generally, besides Memphis the only teams to play in Huntington are Bug Tuck College type teams. If they got a major team to go there, hats off to them but I suspect you are in error.

Tim, I just checked. You're being a sneaky Pete. You put the away games down as though they were happening in Huntington! Come on now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,266,559 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
That's a pretty busy schedule for such a small town.
True enough. Huntington has quite a bit of stuff going on too, but not as much as Tim is saying. Double check the schedule. The real data is fairly comparable in terms of number of events, but there is a significant difference in quality of offerings with Morgantown easily having better events.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 05:45 AM
 
Location: 304
5,275 posts, read 7,396,534 times
Reputation: 1806
Hey woo!!!

Charleston Events stack up way better

hosting the World's Strong man contest, Chili Cookoff World Championship, Firefighter challenge, and the "2020 olympics" haha just kidding
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 AM
 
4,714 posts, read 12,363,228 times
Reputation: 1066
A rumor is being spread that, with the rise in ocean waters, the New York Metropolitan Opera is moving to Mobley, Wv.

Just as soon as the new Heather Breasch Center for the Performing Arts is completed..

How's that for culture...certainly puts C-town, Mo-town and Hunki-town in their places...

Mobley is 800 ft above sea level...no danger of flooding out there....'Figaro Qua! Figaro Twa!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2009, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Huntington, WV
4,571 posts, read 7,762,452 times
Reputation: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
True enough. Huntington has quite a bit of stuff going on too, but not as much as Tim is saying. Double check the schedule. The real data is fairly comparable in terms of number of events, but there is a significant difference in quality of offerings with Morgantown easily having better events.
Apparently, counting is up there with reading comprehension as not being one of your strong points. I'll do it for you. You listed 75 events, I listed 143 for Huntington. Double spacing just makes it easier to read if one would like to actually use the list but it doesn't change the number of listed events. And the Men's basketball games are indeed ALL home games. Not being a "sneaky Pete" at all. The one you are questioning on Nov. 15 is North Carolina A&T with the A&T somehow getting deleted as I compiled the list. Marshall does indeed play UNC this year as well though at UNC. Here are another 7 or so events that I left off to round it out at an exact twice as much. It's also comical that you would attempt to question the quality of the events listed for Huntington, as some of them are the same things going on up there. Only difference is, there's more going on down here. You also seem to be forgetting that one of Marshall's strengths is its performing arts programs, being ranked in the top 50 programs nationally according to an article from the Herald-Dispatch last year. Here are the links for you.

October 15 V-Club: Halestorm, Split Nixon, Stitch Rivet
October 16-18 City Hall Auditorium: Man of La Mancha
October 31 HMOA: First day to view Walter Gropius Master Artist: Dan Mitchell Exhibit
November 1, 2 PM HMOA: Music at the Museum
November 6 HMOA: First day to view Macy’s Presents URBAN: Cityscapes from the Permanent Collection
November 13 HMOA:First day of Dan Mitchell Allison three-day Gropius workshop
January 30 HMOA: The “Rule, Britannia!” Museum Ball 2010 begins at 6 p.m.

WV FUNNY BONE | HOME -WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF LAUGHTER!
Big Sandy Superstore Arena - Huntington, WV
Huntington Underground | MySpace - myspace.com/huntingtonunderground
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV (http://www.hmoa.org/pages/aa-music.html - broken link)
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV (http://www.hmoa.org/pages/aa-events.html - broken link)
The V Club Night Club Live Music Huntington WV www.vclublive.com
Marshall Artists Series
MARSHALL OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Men's Basketball
MARSHALL OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Football
Marshall University College of Fine Arts | Department of Music
Marshall University College of Fine Arts | Department of Theatre
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top