U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:22 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,290,043 times
Reputation: 1782

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by q-tip motha View Post
gee, if only i devoted a great deal of time, money, and energy towards making food that was better than what you can find in wv.
...oh wait, i did.

Trust me, oliverios is great for wv food, mediocre at best for the country. I can make better italian at home without any effort makes their food look like chef boyardee...and i'm not even close to being the chef that many of those people are in bigger markets like nyc.
lol
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:24 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,290,043 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
Gee, if only I devoted a great deal of time, money, and energy towards making food that was better than what you can find in WV.
...oh wait, I did.

Trust me, Oliverios is great for WV food, mediocre at best for the country. I can make better italian at home without any effort makes their food look like Chef Boyardee...and I'm not even close to being the chef that many of those people are in bigger markets like NYC.
Well, no offense intended, but on this issue I just don't trust you. I have eaten at NYC Italian restaurants many times. I used to live in that area. My opinion is Olivarios stacks up very well against them and Minard's in Clarksburg has most of them beat. And, they do it for a fraction of the cost. I've never eaten your Italian food, so I'll reserve judgement on that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia 'Burbs
938 posts, read 2,687,324 times
Reputation: 589
Oliverio's is about as good as Olive Garden. Puglioni's and Murial's are better...and it's not like they are fantastic...

We know you love Morgantown and all, but the utter hyperbole of claiming that something as average and inconsistent as Oliverio's blows away the entirety of NYC and Philadelphia Italian cuisine is a tad too much, even for the biggest Mo'Town lover imaginable.


...

And just because something is Americanized doesn't mean its bad. Real Chinese food is the nastiest thing I could ever imagine consuming. Give me some Americanized General Tso's and lo mein...thanks...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 07:42 AM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,290,043 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Oliverio's is about as good as Olive Garden. Puglioni's and Murial's are better...and it's not like they are fantastic...

We know you love Morgantown and all, but the utter hyperbole of claiming that something as average and inconsistent as Oliverio's blows away the entirety of NYC and Philadelphia Italian cuisine is a tad too much, even for the biggest Mo'Town lover imaginable.


...

And just because something is Americanized doesn't mean its bad. Real Chinese food is the nastiest thing I could ever imagine consuming. Give me some Americanized General Tso's and lo mein...thanks...
The hyperbole is you claiming I said anybody "blows away" anybody else. I never said that. It is Italian food, not French cusine. You know, pasta, bread, salads, etc. I said Oliverios matches up well with what is found in NYC. That's my opinion. I love their sauce and their homemade breads.

Puglioni's and Murial's are also excellent, but I personally prefer Minard's. You have your opinion, I have mine. You can get a good Italian meal in NCWV for $40 and would easily pay $125 for a comparable meal in NYC or $80 in Philly. Everyone has their favorite Italian eateries, but it isn't like it's rocket science. Have you ever spent any serious time in NYC?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: 304
5,279 posts, read 7,409,953 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Please. Nothing against Charleston, but the cultural and athletic events there pale in comparison, and even the eateries are for a narrower taste range. Morgantown doesn't need to piggy back for nearly anything, and what it does isn't available in Charleston, or anywhere near it. Unless you are talking about number of lawyers and politicians. Charleston wins that one hands down.
We might not have a drunk college atmosphere, but what we do have Morgantown can't compete with!

Clay Center
The Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences of West Virginia

Charleston Civic Center
Home

WV Cultural Center
The Cultural Center

Capitol Market
Welcome to the Capitol Market

Mountain Stage
Mountain Stage - Where Musicians Come to Play

West Virginia Symphony
Welcome to the WVSO

Fest-iv-All
http://www.festivallcharleston.com/

Power Baseball
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | West Virginia Power Homepage

all of these venues for sports, music, art, history, science, and social networking are simply one of a kind in West Virginia, and provides culture and experience for citizens of all ages!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2010, 08:57 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,290,043 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
We might not have a drunk college atmosphere, but what we do have Morgantown can't compete with!

Clay Center
The Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences of West Virginia

Charleston Civic Center
Home

WV Cultural Center
The Cultural Center

Capitol Market
Welcome to the Capitol Market

Mountain Stage
Mountain Stage - Where Musicians Come to Play

West Virginia Symphony
Welcome to the WVSO

Fest-iv-All
Welcome | FestivALL 2010
Power Baseball
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | West Virginia Power Homepage

all of these venues for sports, music, art, history, science, and social networking are simply one of a kind in West Virginia, and provides culture and experience for citizens of all ages!
You've been listening to too much negative hype from the jealous. I'm not saying college kids don't do some drinking, but they tend to stick to themselves when they do so. There are more than 200 eateries and clubs in Morgantown, and many of them cater to ordinary folks.

The CAC is the equal of the Clay Center, and it gets more and better acts. Mountain Stage is nice, but it also performs in Morgantown where it gets bigger crowds. The WV Symphony is also nice, but so is the Pittsburgh Symphony (which performs in Morgantown), the University Symphony, the Wheeling Symphony and even Charleston's West Virginia Symphony which also perform in Morgantown.

Charleston's Festivall is good, but so is Mountaineer Week in Morgantown as well as several other festivals and events throughout the year.

The Charleston Civic Center vs. the Coliseum. Hmmm. I wonder which is better.

And your minor league baseball is great, but I'm sure you aren't going to compare that with Mountaineer football and basketball. I mean seriously? We have Mounaineer baseball too but for pro baseball Pittsburgh isn't much of a hike. And art, history, etc. I just know you aren't serious. This is a true University town. Enough said.

And outdoor venues? It's at least an hour from Charleston to anything interesting (and you have to drive East to get there). It's right out the back door here.

Here, maybe this will help you compare:

http://www.pittsburghsymphony.org/pg...Type=%22WVU%22

http://www.wvpublictheatre.com/

http://events.wvu.edu/index.shtml

http://www.coopersrockstateforest.com/

http://www.younewstv.com/areas/wboy/105137139.html (broken link)

http://events.wvu.edu/mountainstage/index.shtml

http://events.wvu.edu/concerts/index.shtml (broken link)

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?section=7925

http://www.msnsportsnet.com/page.cfm?section=7920

http://www.mtpocketstheatre.com/

http://www.tygartlake.com/

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 11-22-2010 at 09:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Location: 304
5,279 posts, read 7,409,953 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You've been listening to too much negative hype from the jealous. I'm not saying college kids don't do some drinking, but they tend to stick to themselves when they do so. There are more than 200 eateries and clubs in Morgantown, and many of them cater to ordinary folks.

The CAC is the equal of the Clay Center, and it gets more and better acts. Mountain Stage is nice, but it also performs in Morgantown where it gets bigger crowds. The WV Symphony is also nice, but so is the Pittsburgh Symphony (which performs in Morgantown), the University Symphony, the Wheeling Symphony and even Charleston's West Virginia Symphony which also perform in Morgantown.

Charleston's Festivall is good, but so is Mountaineer Week in Morgantown as well as several other festivals and events throughout the year.

The Charleston Civic Center vs. the Coliseum. Hmmm. I wonder which is better.

And your minor league baseball is great, but I'm sure you aren't going to compare that with Mountaineer football and basketball. I mean seriously? We have Mounaineer baseball too but for pro baseball Pittsburgh isn't much of a hike. And art, history, etc. I just know you aren't serious. This is a true University town. Enough said.

And outdoor venues? It's at least an hour from Charleston to anything interesting (and you have to drive East to get there). It's right out the back door here.

Here, maybe this will help you compare:

Performance Listing

West Virginia Public Theatre

Arts&Entertainment - West Virginia University

Coopers Rock State Forest

Morgantown Fall Photos | WBOY-TV Clarksburg, Morgantown, Fairmont West Virginia YouNews™ (http://www.younewstv.com/areas/wboy/105137139.html - broken link)

Arts&Entertainment - West Virginia University

Arts&Entertainment - West Virginia University (http://events.wvu.edu/concerts/index.shtml - broken link)

West Virginia University Mountaineers - MSNsportsNET.Com

West Virginia University Mountaineers - MSNsportsNET.Com

M. T. Pockets Theatre Company

Tygart Lake State Park
Well it isn't that far to great outdoor venues!

Kanawha Falls, Kanawha Sate Park, The Kanawha River Recreation Area, Coonskin Park, Hawks Nest, The Elk River Recreation Area, ect... all are at very close and are beautiful works of God!

And the CAC is nothing like THe Clay Center. The Clay Center or "Avampato Discovery Center". The is a huge electric sky theater that shows both planetarium and Imax films. Also in the center is a art musium, and a state of the art learning facility like they have at Cosi in Columbus.

Taking WVU sports out of the picture, because they more or less represent the state as a whole at not just Morgantown, there isn't much left in Morgantown when it comes to sports. Charleston not only has the baseball team, but is also home to the best high school athletics in the state. LOL

Both the Municipal and Civic Center get great acts like the Trans Siberian Orchestra, Moscow Ballet, All the Disney Shows, Monster Jam, Globetrotters, Barnum and Bailey Circus, and numerous bands, singers and acts all coming back everyear!

Not to forget the other great venues in Charleston such as the Cultural center, the Capitol theater, the Labelle Theater, The Capitol Conference Center, Davis Creative Arts Center at WVSU, Power Park, Laidley Field, Schoenbaum Stadium, ect....

here is a good video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQTWJp0jT8


Other great events in Charleston; Hot Rod and Doo Wop, Chilli Cookoff, Charleston Distance Run, Kanawha Valley Majorette Festival, St. Albans Festival of Lights, Charleston Idol, Film Festival, ect...

I'm telling you Charleston has it all!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,290,043 times
Reputation: 1782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Well it isn't that far to great outdoor venues!

Kanawha Falls, Kanawha Sate Park, The Kanawha River Recreation Area, Coonskin Park, Hawks Nest, The Elk River Recreation Area, ect... all are at very close and are beautiful works of God!

And the CAC is nothing like THe Clay Center. The Clay Center or "Avampato Discovery Center". The is a huge electric sky theater that shows both planetarium and Imax films. Also in the center is a art musium, and a state of the art learning facility like they have at Cosi in Columbus.

Taking WVU sports out of the picture, because they more or less represent the state as a whole at not just Morgantown, there isn't much left in Morgantown when it comes to sports. Charleston not only has the baseball team, but is also home to the best high school athletics in the state. LOL

Both the Municipal and Civic Center get great acts like the Trans Siberian Orchestra, Moscow Ballet, All the Disney Shows, Monster Jam, Globetrotters, Barnum and Bailey Circus, and numerous bands, singers and acts all coming back everyear!

Not to forget the other great venues in Charleston such as the Cultural center, the Capitol theater, the Labelle Theater, The Capitol Conference Center, Davis Creative Arts Center at WVSU, Power Park, Laidley Field, Schoenbaum Stadium, ect....

here is a good video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQTWJp0jT8


Other great events in Charleston; Hot Rod and Doo Wop, Chilli Cookoff, Charleston Distance Run, Kanawha Valley Majorette Festival, St. Albans Festival of Lights, Charleston Idol, Film Festival, ect...

I'm telling you Charleston has it all!
I do like the Great Charleston Chilli Cookoff, and the Doo Wop festival. My mom used to like those too. You do have a point about the Charleston planetarium, but they're building a brand new one at the top of White Hall in Morgantown that will change that comparison as well as a brand new University Art Gallery on the Evansdale Campus.

Charleston has all the usual small town touring acts. Morgantown gets those too (often the same ones) but as a University City it gets more of them, especially more Broadway plays. We do not have a Doo Wop Festival though, so you got us there for sure.

WVU Breaks Ground On New Facilities
Garrett Cullen
Morgantown



Related Stories:
Bob Huggins: New Practice Facility
It’s been in the works for quite some time and now West Virginia University will officially begin renovations to the physics’ department at White Hall and construct a new basketball practice facility next to the Coliseum. The university held a groundbreaking press conference for the new facilities Thursday morning at the Erickson Alumni Center.

“We’re here today to recognize the national reputation and the continued momentum of two outstanding programs that will benefit from these world-class facilities for years to come,” said WVU President James P. Clements. “These programs have built an incredible amount of momentum in the past few years and we are dedicated to their continued growth and prominence.”

The $33 million renovation to White Hall will include two 175-seat high-tech classrooms, a new computer lab, a rooftop planetarium and sophisticated research space and teaching labs. Demolition work is already completed and the renovated building is expected to open in the fall of 2011.

The renovations will enhance what is already a respectable physics department at WVU, producing 12 Goldwater Scholars, three Cottrell Scholars and two Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellows.

“Our undergraduate students are some of the brightest the country has to offer and our graduate students come to us from some of the most prominent undergraduate programs in the country,” said WVU Provost Michele Wheatley.

More than 40 private donors helped fund the approximately $19 million dollar basketball practice facility. The facility will feature two separate gym areas for the men’s and women’s teams, locker rooms, a weight training center, meeting space for each program, an athletic training room and a Basketball Hall of Traditions. Construction is expected to be completed on the practice facility by May of 2011.

The new practice facility will solve time issues at the Coliseum with other athletic teams and the College of Physical Education, which is also based in the Coliseum.

“I think people think it’s men’s and women’s basketball at the Coliseum, but we also have other athletic teams there,” said Mountaineer head coach Bob Huggins. “We also have classes there and academics shouldn’t have to compete with athletics for time in the building. And that’s why this space you people so graciously supported is so good for our teams.”

Huggins said the new basketball practice facility will be one of the best in the country.

“When people say we’re thinking about building a practice facility, everybody’s going to say go look at West Virginia’s,” Huggins said. “And when we bring recruits in there, if we can get them here, we can get them. It doesn’t matter who it is. We can get them here because of the tremendous facilities we’re going to have and I think more importantly than that, the tremendous people.”

The renovations to White Hall will include roll-up doors on every floor to easily unload equipment along with white boards in every hallway. The planetarium will seat 60 people so the school can invite children and members of the community to campus to learn about science.

“White Hall will be a great place not only to do science, but to foster collaborations amongst all our research groups,” said Dr. Earl Scime of the WVU Department of Physics.

West Virginia officials hope the two facilities will propel WVU to greater prestige and prominence.

“The university is going to benefit from these facilities for years to come,” Huggins said. “First it will benefit financially, top programs generate big money and sell more tickets. Great scientist make more discoveries and create more patents.”
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Winfield, WV
1,946 posts, read 3,655,019 times
Reputation: 565
I spent some time in Morgantown this fall before a couple WVU football games, and i must add that the city has really changed in the past 10 years. The city has grown outwards in almost every direction except for Star City, and there is much more urban density than in the past.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 PM
 
10,148 posts, read 13,290,043 times
Reputation: 1782
The area is growing by leaps and bounds. Our main problem is it is growing faster than the supporting infrastructure. We need the State to step to the plate with their road responsibilities and local government to do the same with sidewalks and drainage, among other things. The potential is here for much greater growth, but the parties involved have to get onboard to make it successful long term.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top