U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:19 AM

1,946 posts, read 3,656,762 times

Advertisements

I have lived here in the Kanawha Valley for the past 10 years, and of course i'm partial to the Metro Valley. But i do have a friend that lives in Morgantown (lived in Charleston for a couple years after Law School), and he is very persistant that Mo'town is a much better city than Charleston is now. I haven't been visiting Morgantown as much to attend football or basketball games as much as i did 3-5 years ago. But how much has changed in the past 3 years?

Let's start some comparison/contrast on features about both cities.

I suggested that Charleston has a better infrastructure, and he chuckled, stating that he thought i was bragging because Charleston has better roads, and now he feels i'm getting old, haha. I keep hearing that Morgantown has better formal and informal dining, along with better housing.

I'm sure there will be differences of opinions as both towns are very different from each other. One may be better for families, while another may be better for the young professional. ect, ect.

I really can't wait to read some of the responses. I'll keep an open mind, and hope to learn a lot from this thread.

Last edited by Silkdashocker; 10-12-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM

5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
Charleston---

has a nicer downtown, sence of community, historic apperance, is larger, has more of a selection in terms of job occupation, and is cleaner. Also is beautifly located along the mighty Kanawha River. The neighborhoods are nicer, aswell as housing. And it is cheaper to live here. As a negative it is decreasing in Population

Morgantown---

is a growing, vibrant young town. It has nice amenidies. It has a college atmosphere. but it is too crampt, the roads suck, and the millions of new apartments are ugly and all look alike.

Charleston wins

Old 10-12-2009, 12:30 PM

938 posts, read 2,688,259 times
Morgantown has the worst road infrastructure I've ever seen. The growth is there, but it has been done without direction.

Living in Morgantown is only great because I can go to all of the WVU games and a major US city is an hour up the road.

I've never really been impressed with Morgantown's culinary options. For the pretentious, Sargasso and The Boathouse Bistro are new options I'm told are great. I hate going to those types of places though. And I'll never understand why a place with so many Italians has zero great pizza parlors.

I'd still rather live in Morgantown...though if Pittsburgh wasn't up the road, I'd go with Charleston...

Last edited by WVUPharm2007; 10-12-2009 at 01:08 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 12:43 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,299,498 times
Default You Asked for it Steve...

It's no contest... Morgantown wins going away. Nobody will
argue that Charleston has better roads... that is because the
State Government has dropped the ball in such an obvious
manner in Morgantown. Otherwise, the attitude and ambience
of the two cities themselves speak to the directions in which
they are headed.

I am very familiar with Charleston, since my ex was a Kanawhan.
Charleston does not have the cultural attributes you find in
Morgantown, in spite of the arts center built there at huge cost.
Academically, they are worlds apart and the rift is growing.
Economically, Morgantown easily outpaces Charleston which is
losing population and jobs while Morgantown is growing on both
counts. There is much more to do in Morgantown, and what
there is to do there is of higher quality. Athletics? It isn't
even close. Activities? A chile tasting contest is a big deal
in Charleston... enough said.

Morgantown is busy night and day, while Charleston basically
rolls up the sidewalks after dark.

Then there is proximity to great outdoors venues. They are
literally out the back door in Morgantown and are a pretty good
hike from Charleston.

Morgantown is more "cramped", that is true, but there is a reason
for that. It is cramped because it is a place where people want
to be... that is basically not true for Charleston, otherwise they
wouldn't be trying to pass special laws just so they can avoid
dropping some artificial notch in population demographics.

And, lets not forget the proximity to large cities. Nobody wants
to live in one, but it is nice to have one nearby for certain events
and services. Pittsburgh is only 1 hour 15 minutes away from
Morgantown, and the new expressway will make getting there
even easier. Charleston is something like 3 1/2 hours away from
any major population center.

One of Charleston's main drawbacks is the large concentration of
politicians located there. Then there is the disproportionate
number of lawyers. Those undesireables alone put it at a great
disadvantage. Morgantown is more academically inclined, and
that goes for the average resident there as well since more than
1/2 of them possess at least a bachelors degree.

And, Chris... more of a job selection? You must not have read
the Dominion Post recently. Sunday's generally has four full
pages of want ads. They are still hiring in Morgantown for just
about every category of work. And, most of the government
jobs there are of the higher paying Federal variety.

All of that said, I am not comfortable responding to your question
Silk. I say that because in fact I like Charleston and the nice
people there. Although I obviously believe Morgantown to be
preferable, I don't like criticizing the characteristics of Charleston.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:11 PM

5,284 posts, read 7,415,110 times
I love Morgantown, but i still think Charleston has the upper hand.

The only Mowtown has any sucess is because of WVU.

And I have a question for CTMountaineer, or anyone who can answer.
What stores or restaurants are going in at the Suncrest Town Center???

I noticed a Hilton Gardens hotel opened there. I am interested in this development.

thanks!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 PM

15,407 posts, read 17,718,370 times
My opinions are based entirely on an outsider’s perspective, not having lived in either location. One thing that I do notice is the dramatic difference in attitudes.

I have met / presented to groups of professionals in Morgantown and by and large the feeling is energetic and the mood is lively. People interact much more openly and there exists a great deal of optimism.

I have met with similar groups in Charleston, and one particular instance the crowd remained silent. No interaction, no interest, nothing. They were quite dour actually. The topics were similar, and with a similar audience in attendance.

It was a stark contrast.

Charleston may have the better infrastructure; however I believe Morgantown wins on many other levels.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I love Morgantown, but i still think Charleston has the upper hand.

The only Mowtown has any sucess is because of WVU.

And I have a question for CTMountaineer, or anyone who can answer.
What stores or restaurants are going in at the Suncrest Town Center???

I noticed a Hilton Gardens hotel opened there. I am interested in this development.

thanks!
I'm not sure of the restaurants, but have heard there are at least 2.
And, while WVU is definitely the engine for Morgantown's success, it is not the only positive economic force. Mylan is going great guns as are the nearby Federal facilities which hire large numbers of both locals and WVU grads. There is a growing hospitality industry, and the health care industry is also in expansion mode. Research is growing by leaps and bounds.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Morgantown has the worst road infrastructure I've ever seen. The growth is there, but it has been done without direction.

Living in Morgantown is only great because I can go to all of the WVU games and a major US city is an hour up the road.

I've never really been impressed with Morgantown's culinary options. For the pretentious, Sargasso and The Boathouse Bistro are new options I'm told are great. I hate going to those types of places though. And I'll never understand why a place with so many Italians has zero great pizza parlors.

I'd still rather live in Morgantown...though if Pittsburgh wasn't up the road, I'd go with Charleston...
I disagree about the dining options. I lived for 17 years in the NYC suburbs and would put Olivarios up against all but the best Manhattan Italian restaurants. The Mexican restaurant on Van Voorhis is excellent, and Cafe Baccus on High Street is also first rate. I have not yet tried the Indian Restaurant by the downtown post office but will report back once I have done so. The usual chain restaurant fare is the same as that found anywhere else.

It is much easier to get around in Charleston as they don't have the traffic and have better roads... I'll give them that. I look for that to change though. There is great political pressure to bring about improvements, and infrastructure is all that is inhibiting Morgantown from even greater achievements.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:03 PM

1,946 posts, read 3,656,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My opinions are based entirely on an outsider’s perspective, not having lived in either location. One thing that I do notice is the dramatic difference in attitudes.

I have met / presented to groups of professionals in Morgantown and by and large the feeling is energetic and the mood is lively. People interact much more openly and there exists a great deal of optimism.

I have met with similar groups in Charleston, and one particular instance the crowd remained silent. No interaction, no interest, nothing. They were quite dour actually. The topics were similar, and with a similar audience in attendance.

It was a stark contrast.

Charleston may have the better infrastructure; however I believe Morgantown wins on many other levels.

Charleston does seem to have a laid back atmosphere even in the business sector. However there are some decent IT & technology jobs here in the city. I've noticed NCWV is gaining in high tech jobs, but for now, with the big business, Charleston still has Morgantown beat in that area. Even despite the shrinking population in the city proper, Charleston still probably has 150,000-200,000 people working here on a daily basis.

As for diversity and quality of life, i can't speak for Morgantown. But i hear good things about the area. It sounds like Morgantown is just short of having nice highways in and out of town from being excellent. However, i do know that the opportunity is there for you to have a nice life if you chose to here in Charleston area.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Charleston does seem to have a laid back atmosphere even in the business sector. However there are some decent IT & technology jobs here in the city. I've noticed NCWV is gaining in high tech jobs, but for now, with the big business, Charleston still has Morgantown beat.
That's because some of those types of jobs are "regional" in nature, and Charleston is the focal point in that region since there aren't any large cities, whereas Pittsburgh fills that role in the northern sector. A lot of Charleston's business is directly or indirectly connected to United Bank. Also, there is no question that as a blue collar center Charleston has more. But, remember that overall blue collar employment is in decline... your own company is an exception, not the rule.

Charleston has always put too much stake in the value of state government jobs, and in a state like West Virginia that will never lead to great success overall. It will, however, provide for some stability and mitigate the losses in other areas. Though they are unlikely to face layoffs, 90% of state workers live from paycheck to paycheck. I know this because I used to be one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia