Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 01:47 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,969 times

Advertisements

Well I am out. I waited six years for the PTC to be completed. Six years for a movie theater to come to the area and six years for the amenities that I left behind in Northern Virginia to follow me here and it hasn’t happened.

That’s right, I am out; I am done.

After six years of living in the ‘wilderness’ to save money on my mortgage, insurance and property taxes I decided to move back to civilization.

The big stickler for me, were the negatives- the commute, the wear and tear on my vehicles, the cost of maintaining said vehicles and that there is nothing going on in the surrounding area.
Six years ago when I bought my home in Ranson the sellers touted there was a growing shopping center that was to be part of a mega entertainment complex on the outskirts of the community. When completed it would include restaurants, movie theaters and mega retailers including Target, Costco and Best Buy; it was supposed to rival the Brambleton Town Center in Ashburn thus eliminating the need to travel out of the county for my preferred stores.

Fast forward six years later:

It didn’t happen. Many of the stores that were hinted to be coming to The Potomac Towne Center have opted to go to Martinsburg and other areas instead. As a result, the Potomac Towne Center has yet to be completed and I doubt it ever will. What about the movie theater? It was supposed to open Memorial Day 2008. It hasn’t and probably never will.

• I am tired of waiting and waiting and waiting for it to get better out here- for which it is taking to long to do.

• I am tired of having to drive Twenty Hells away to shop at my preferred stores, entertainment options and begging and even pleading for them to open locations in Jefferson county.

• I am tired of my commute, the dangerous roads I have to travel on, the wear and tear on my vehicles and the $$$ I spend in gas and auto repairs because of it.

However, I am going to miss my house, my neighborhood and neighbors I have come to know. But after six years of this, I am ready for a change- like having a movie theater, Costco or Best Buy in the same city I live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Well I am out. I waited six years for the PTC to be completed. Six years for a movie theater to come to the area and six years for the amenities that I left behind in Northern Virginia to follow me here and it hasn’t happened.

After six years of living in the ‘wilderness’ to save money on my mortgage, insurance and property taxes I decided to move back to civilization.

The big stickler for me, were the negatives- the commute, the wear and tear on my vehicles, the cost of maintaining said vehicles and that there is nothing going on in the surrounding area.
Six years ago when I bought my home in Ranson the sellers touted there was a growing shopping center that was to be part of a mega entertainment complex on the outskirts of the community. When completed it would include restaurants, movie theaters and mega retailers including Target, Costco and Best Buy; it was supposed to rival the Brambleton Town Center in Ashburn thus eliminating the need to travel out of the county for my preferred stores.

It didn’t happen. Many of the stores that were hinted to be coming to The Potomac Towne Center have opted to go to Martinsburg and other areas instead. As a result, the Potomac Towne Center has yet to be completed and I doubt it ever will. What about the movie theater? It was supposed to open Memorial Day 2008. It hasn’t and probably never will.

• I am tired of waiting and waiting and waiting for it to get better out here- for which it is taking to long to do.

• I am tired of having to drive Twenty Hells away to shop at my preferred stores, entertainment options and begging and even pleading for them to open locations in Jefferson county.

• I am tired of my commute, the dangerous roads I have to travel on, the wear and tear on my vehicles and the $$$ I spend in gas and auto repairs because of it.

However, I am going to miss my house, my neighborhood and neighbors I have come to know. But after six years of this, I am ready for a change- like having a movie theater, Costco or Best Buy in the same city I live in.
Unfortunately, it will probably never be completed like you said. All of the big box retailers ended up in Martinsburg. Any future growth will probably end up in Martinsburg as well.

Have you considered Winchester, Hagerstown, or Chambersburg? They kind of split the difference between quiet and convenient.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,352 times
Quote:

Wow.....Your soul cries out!!!! It would have been seriously interesting to see you spend 6 years where I spent the last 17 in Oregon before I moved to Martinsburg. You would have thrown yourself off a bridge. Ranson is the equivalent of Alexandria compared to where I come from...

Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Unfortunately, it will probably never be completed like you said. All of the big box retailers ended up in Martinsburg. Any future growth will probably end up in Martinsburg as well.

Have you considered Winchester, Hagerstown, or Chambersburg? They kind of split the difference between quiet and convenient.
I work in Ashburn VA so moving to Winchester, Hagerstown or Chambersburg would put me much farther out than where I am now.

Alternatively, I found an area near Edwards Ferry Road in Leesburg VA that is equivalent to what Ranson would have been like had the PTC been completed. I bought a house near there and I a moving in this weekend.

It is ironic that this news on the apparent end of the Frank's Theater saga took place during the same week I am moving.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:57 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
You should have seen this area in the early 1990's. Mr C was surprised that with the outlet shopping (before it relocated to the Prime Outlet in Hagerstown,Md) that there was hardly any shopping big box chain shopping/restaurants like Olive Garden. Now that we have that, the outlet shopping experience is gone.

Although I don't live far from The Commons (Target, Best Buy, PetSmart, etc), I still would have appreciated seeing that Frank's Cinema.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I work in Ashburn VA so moving to Winchester, Hagerstown or Chambersburg would put me much farther out than where I am now.

Alternatively, I found an area near Edwards Ferry Road in Leesburg VA that is equivalent to what Ranson would have been like had the PTC been completed. I bought a house near there and I a moving in this weekend.

It is ironic that this news on the apparent end of the Frank's Theater saga took place during the same week I am moving.
Congratulations on the move!

In the end, I think Ranson/Charles Town just got a big dose of what the whole county got during the recession. The rest of the Four State region is still feeling the affects, but Winchester, Martinsburg, Hagerstown, and Chambersburg were already established towns. Ranson and Charles Town were almost completely reliant on suburban growth, and that market is still way down considering where it was pre-recession.

Leesburg is a really nice area, so I'm sure you'll like it there. You'll even be close to a Wegmans!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
You should have seen this area in the early 1990's. Mr C was surprised that with the outlet shopping (before it relocated to the Prime Outlet in Hagerstown,Md) that there was hardly any shopping big box chain shopping/restaurants like Olive Garden. Now that we have that, the outlet shopping experience is gone.

Although I don't live far from The Commons (Target, Best Buy, PetSmart, etc), I still would have appreciated seeing that Frank's Cinema.
I saw posts about that on the forum before. I'm kind of surprised that they didn't just upgrade and expand the outlet centers rather than close them completely.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:03 PM

3 posts, read 19,259 times
Quote:

I grew up in Fairfax on 10 acres of land by Fair oaks Hospital (crazy huh?), work in Herndon off Sunrise Valley and bought in Charles Town/Ranson FFX Crossing neighborhood. I’ve seen what has happened to the Northern VA area.

I do not give a F*** about having Best Buy, Movie Theatres, "entertainment options". NONE of those things are entertainment nor do they make an area of actual value (in my opinion) in fact it’s what I wanted to get away from. A Costco would be nice but we go to Leesburg once a month for that. I really don’t get all the disappointment over a move theatre and bowling alley. Is this REALLY what most of you people in here call entertainment and value?? Wild.

I moved to Ranson for the mountain views/beautiful scenery, clean air, non-congested roads for weekend travel, low cost of living, amazing history, farm fresh food, down to earth people non NOVA brat influenced people, great wineries, Harpers Ferry, Summit Point raceway, MX parks, Dam4 and boating, the best clay shooting range on this apple orchard, and that’s just a few off the top of my head.

ALMOST everything we ‘need’ we have an Amazon Prime account for. Yay no driving!

Martinsburg is close if we feel the need to go to Michaels or Best Buy, Sephora, etc. and the local grocery stores like Martins do a pretty good job.

Walmart’s not bad it if you hit it early enough.

Related:

The US will NEVER be what it was ever again and if you believe that it will then you are not paying attention to what’s going on. I do not bank on my home value doubling like most people who believe in fairy tales of a fake economy. I just wanted a place that was new, and would stay fairly consistent in price AKA not involved in the northern VA housing bubble BS. I like how the taxes/regulation in West VA are a quarter of Loudoun (for now). This country will keep printing money devaluing its already fake ‘currency’, continue regulating everything in sight killing what’s left of the free market. I would prefer to be out of NOVA when all of that bubble pops once again.

Long story short I know Ranson/Charles Town/Berkley isn’t NOVA Leesburg/Ashburn/South Riding/Brambleton and that it won’t ever be. Yeah I know it’s not as ‘nice’ but it’s also not as fake, propped up by inflated housing prices that will not sustain itself and surrounded by Northern VA attitudes either.

And guess what? Good! That’s the whole point!

Thanks,

-Andrew

Old 10-24-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRYBOXITR View Post
I grew up in Fairfax on 10 acres of land by Fair oaks Hospital (crazy huh?), work in Herndon off Sunrise Valley and bought in Charles Town/Ranson FFX Crossing neighborhood. I’ve seen what has happened to the Northern VA area.

I do not give a F*** about having Best Buy, Movie Theatres, "entertainment options". NONE of those things are entertainment nor do they make an area of actual value (in my opinion) in fact it’s what I wanted to get away from. A Costco would be nice but we go to Leesburg once a month for that. I really don’t get all the disappointment over a move theatre and bowling alley. Is this REALLY what most of you people in here call entertainment and value?? Wild.

I moved to Ranson for the mountain views/beautiful scenery, clean air, non-congested roads for weekend travel, low cost of living, amazing history, farm fresh food, down to earth people non NOVA brat influenced people, great wineries, Harpers Ferry, Summit Point raceway, MX parks, Dam4 and boating, the best clay shooting range on this apple orchard, and that’s just a few off the top of my head.

ALMOST everything we ‘need’ we have an Amazon Prime account for. Yay no driving!

Martinsburg is close if we feel the need to go to Michaels or Best Buy, Sephora, etc. and the local grocery stores like Martins do a pretty good job.

Related:

The US will NEVER be what it was ever again and if you believe that it will then you are not paying attention to what’s going on. I do not bank on my home value doubling like most people who believe in fairy tales of a fake economy. I just wanted a place that was new, and would stay fairly consistent in price AKA not involved in the northern VA housing bubble BS. I like how the taxes/regulation in West VA are a quarter of Loudoun (for now). This country will keep printing money devaluing its already fake ‘currency’, continue regulating everything in sight killing what’s left of the free market. I would prefer to be out of NOVA when all of that bubble pops once again.

Long story short I know Ranson/Charles Town/Berkley isn’t NOVA Leesburg/Ashburn/South Riding/Brambleton and that it won’t ever be. Yeah I know it’s not as ‘nice’ but it’s also not as fake, propped up by inflated housing prices that will not sustain itself and surrounded by Northern VA attitudes either.

Thanks,

-Andrew
I agree with you to an extent, but there's a happy medium. Winchester, Martinsburg, Hagerstown, and Chambersburg all combine convenience and the quiet life. It all just depends on how far out of town you want to live.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:52 AM

1,229 posts, read 859,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRYBOXITR View Post

Related:

Thanks,

-Andrew

Movies theaters are a dying breed. Not only are they overly expensive.....but more importantly - Hollywood is seriously running out of new ideas. There's very little new originality....everything is regurgitated, over and over and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia