U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 AM

525 posts, read 759,966 times

Advertisements

From time to time some inquires have been made in other threads about incoming restaurants and other retail at the supposed super entertainment complex- The Potomac Towne Center in Ranson WV. I am a resident of a nearby residential development and have been following the development or lack thereof in the center over the last two years.

Through inquires with commercial restate and area builders, I discovered the following about the center’s proposed tenants:

Target- pulled out and opened in Martinsburg
Costco- pulled out (population decline in Jefferson County)
Starbucks-pulled out and opened in Martinsburg
Best Buy- pulled out and opened in Martinsburg
Franks Theaters- having trouble obtaining financing/bankrupt or near bankruptcy was scheduled to build and open movie theater May 31 2008.
Five Guys Burgers and Fries- leased space in a plaza near Rite Aid. Having trouble obtaining financing to renovate space for their restaurant.
Golden Corral – possibly pulled out; lot they were to build on is for sale.
In and Out Lube Shop- status unknown.

Target, Best Buy and Starbucks were supposed to build stores here in Ranson but for some reason or another- which remain unkown, decided to go to Martinsburg instead.

For now it looks like new development at the Towne Center is dead and will remain dead until conditions in Jefferson County (economic or otherwise) improve in such a way as to entice more retail to the area- jobs, tourists, population etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 02:48 PM

985 posts, read 1,658,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
From time to time some inquires have been made in other threads about incoming restaurants and other retail at the supposed super entertainment complex- The Potomac Towne Center in Ranson WV. I am a resident of a nearby residential development and have been following the development or lack thereof in the center over the last two years.

Through inquires with commercial restate and area builders, I discovered the following about the center’s proposed tenants:

Franks Theaters- having trouble obtaining financing/bankrupt or near bankruptcy was scheduled to build and open movie theater May 31 2008.
Five Guys Burgers and Fries- leased space in a plaza near Rite Aid. Having trouble obtaining financing to renovate space for their restaurant.

Target, Best Buy and Starbucks were supposed to build stores here in Ranson but for some reason or another- which remain unkown, decided to go to Martinsburg instead.

For now it looks like new development at the Towne Center is dead and will remain dead until conditions in Jefferson County (economic or otherwise) improve in such a way as to entice more retail to the area- jobs, tourists, population etc.
Thanks for the information!!! My guess with Target and Best Buy is population, since Martinsburg does have a considerably higher population than Charles Town/Ranson, etc. I believe the story behind behind Starbucks revolved around economic problems. When Starbucks closed over 300 under-performing stores around this time last year, they also slashed their "Opening soon" list almost in half, I believe this included Ranson. The Starbucks in Martinsburg came with Target. Starbucks and Target have a partnership and almost all newer Target stores have a full-service Starbucks store inside, near the front entrance. It's a shame the movie theatre plan is going under, Jefferson County desperately needs a nice movie theatre. -mmccul

Old 10-26-2009, 03:44 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,194,126 times
Quote:

Starbucks-pulled out and opened in Martinsburg Best Buy- pulled out and opened in Martinsburg

Where is Starbucks in Martinsburg?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:13 PM

985 posts, read 1,658,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Where is Starbucks in Martinsburg?
It is inside the new Target store at The Commons. It's been open since Target opened a little before July 26, and is doing extremely well. -mmccul

Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 PM

233 posts, read 681,737 times
Thanks for the information venture2000. I work between Martinsburg and Ranson and visit that area for lunch sometimes: Ledo's, California Tortilla, etc.

There is plenty of room for growth there. It may take quite a few years, but I think eventually you will see some of the big box stores locate there. Most stores have significantly cut their growth plans, the Martinsburg shopping center "The Commons" just got in under the radar; one big tenant led to another big tenant, etc. All it will take in Ranson is another big name interested, if Costco would locate there I think development would fly. I personally think that Costco will locate in Hagerstown, however I think the best location for that store would be Potomac Station in Spring Mills: It is halfway between Martinsburg and Hagerstown.

I seen on another thread that Five Guys may open in Martinsburg instead. I haven't seen anything to confirm that so I'm not sure. I think both towns could easily support a Five Guys.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:25 PM

9,852 posts, read 5,775,051 times
Quote:

=================
Yeah, I remembered hearing about those BIG plans for the theatres in Ranson and kept hoping for the people in that area. I'm really surprised that the plans were quashed. Hard to believe that population is declining .... I thought if anything, it was growing. Sometimes when we head toward the Frederick area and think about getting breakfast, have to remind DH that there is an IHOP in Ranson. I guess increased patronage to some of these places will just take a little more time to catch on. After all, we'd lived in this area for over 11 years and when we first arrived, there was hardly anything here. If you have only moved out here in the last coupla years, you probably wouldn't have noticed as much.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 PM

525 posts, read 759,966 times
Default Another Casualty of the Recession

Saturday I was at the Potomac Towne Center and I noticed that Anytime Fitness had closed. This is the second business to close in the shopping center this year. The first was the Optical store next to Weis. I certainly hope this trend doesn't continue.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:17 AM

10,936 posts, read 14,584,566 times
The concept for Anytime Fitness is good, but it's difficult, if not impossible, to compete against the established gym's like Golds or Curves.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:16 AM

385 posts, read 1,684,770 times
That is really sad. I hope the decline doesn't continue. I like that shopping center!

I'm really bummed about the movie theater problems... the area does need a new theater.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:50 PM

233 posts, read 681,737 times
That's a bummer of two tenants backing out. There were already a couple vacancies before this. Kohl's does a pretty good business, but it seems like the other stores are just barely making it by the looks of the parking lot. I try to support the center when I can, but find myself in Martinsburg and Hagerstown a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia