U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 6,815,033 times
Default Grant county is the latest to have their schools taken over by the state

State takes over Grant County schools* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports

I believe they join Preston County now. Pretty stark article regarding the problems in Grant County. I wonder how they managed to keep out of the frying pan if these problems persisted for such a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 06:38 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,281,826 times
This situation needs a federal investigation...lots of things going on...

Grant County is only one of 2 completely Rebublican Counties in Wv..

That has a lot to do with the NEW AGE Liberal mindset of the administration.

Some of these 'old school mothers and fathers and Board Members have watched the graft and modification to 'Non education to the point that they have simply rebelled..

My hat is off to them for not taking this issue lightly...

At one time, these counties (Hardy and Grant) did their best for their kids and funneled them right into WVU. Reed Williams is the present example of that fine regional stock..

The regular people have raised hell to the extent that something positive will be done...congratulations to them...

I hope they can restore decent education to the kids...pure and simple and the most important thing.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 AM

The school administration? I'd agree if that were the case. My wife and I firmly believe we've (the peepins) allowed the educational system to become watered down. We also believe children (and especially their parents) need to be held accountable for their failures- not the school system as is usually the case oh, 99% of the time.

Everybody is okay, no one fails, no child is accountable (unless you happen to be a boy and God forbid touch a girl- then you're given a warning for innapropriate conduct and possibly sexual harrasment.. no kidding).

My kids are in the gifted program. It's a JOKE. It's all about self-expression and searching 'new boundaries'. My son wants to learn advanced math because he's BORED in class. What happened to accelerated learning? Where did that go? We had it growing up. Heck in 5th grade I was already doing Algebra. If you were smart enough in 7th grade you got bused to other schools that specialized in advanced courses. 12 year old kids were taking calculus at the High School.

What happened?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:34 AM

766 posts, read 1,000,815 times
Hey from a teacher's point of view, today's world of education is so hectic and crazy that it's literally impossible for a a non-teacher to really gain any form of insight about what teachers have to deal with or what goes on within a school building, let alone a school system or district. I honestly can't say that I even have an oppinion about this because building conditions and administration varies from district to district and building to building on such a wide scale that it's insane. But to be an older teacher and to now be asked to manage IEP students and their paperwork, acquire continuing education credits and professional development continuously throughout the year just to keep your certification active, and also deal with pressure from administration to scrap all forms of "real" education in favor of teaching standardized testing material just so that the building can make AYP and stay afloat without govenment stepping in...haha, it's a hoot. I'm a recent grad and was conditioned and brought up to expect these issues within the work place, so it's a non-issue, but I really do feel bad for transitioning teachers who are being tossed into all of this.

Throw-in the added bonus of classroom management for a generation of kids that are lax on basic social skills and communicative structure, and you're basically run ragged if you value your job and take pride in doing things the right way. Then there's school board based issues such as above which can't be controlled or dealt with from a worker's perspective...and of course daily planning and preparation for lessons and content work, haha.

My point being, whenever something like this ever happens...please do not speak poorly of the teachers themselves as today's world of education is a far cry from "class, sit down and turn to page 48, do problems blah blah blah....yay I get summers off" or anything like that. Education seriously has become one of the more demanding fields, and as a teacher myself, I can say that I work long hours and have a lot to deal with on a daily basis. As things change and are reformed for the umteenthbajillion time(thank you NCLB and conflicting state officials and national viewpoints...), there's bound to be a few casualties like the above situation. Just be weary that many, many, hard working individuals were unfortunately lumped into that mess and that it's not everybody who contributes to situations like the one mentioned above.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 11-10-2009 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 08:41 AM

766 posts, read 1,000,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
The school administration? I'd agree if that were the case. My wife and I firmly believe we've (the peepins) allowed the educational system to become watered down. We also believe children (and especially their parents) need to be held accountable for their failures- not the school system as is usually the case oh, 99% of the time.

Everybody is okay, no one fails, no child is accountable (unless you happen to be a boy and God forbid touch a girl- then you're given a warning for innapropriate conduct and possibly sexual harrasment.. no kidding).

My kids are in the gifted program. It's a JOKE. It's all about self-expression and searching 'new boundaries'. My son wants to learn advanced math because he's BORED in class. What happened to accelerated learning? Where did that go? We had it growing up. Heck in 5th grade I was already doing Algebra. If you were smart enough in 7th grade you got bused to other schools that specialized in advanced courses. 12 year old kids were taking calculus at the High School.

What happened?
Oh you get it buddy, bravo...teachers want to offer advanced classes and do things the right way, trust me on that. It's just that with today's world of inclusion, NCLB, standardized testing, "political correctness", etc, that such things unfortunately get weeded out. When you have a classroom with 10 IEP students due to inclusion that require constant focus, and 15 students who are considered to be at academic placement and a world apart from your other students, and you're responsible for teaching content material to all of said students within a 40 minutes period...well you get the picture. Today's classrooms are too broad, with too large of an audience to get through to. The sad thing is that the people who are making decisions and forming the way that schools are to be run in today's world have little in the way of an educational background and have never had a day's worth of experience as an educater or school administrater to begin with...student achievement cannot be souly based upon data, and education is not a business. It's really sad that the student's best interest is being placed on the backburner in favor of data.

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 11-10-2009 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-10-2009, 09:03 AM

I totally agree with you. My wife is in a masters program right now for special needs teaching and we are both pretty p*ssed about the whole inclusion issue.

It sounds all great and all on paper but 100% inclusion is NOT the answer and it's too taxing on the teachers and more often than not it's generally disruptive to the classroom. We believe it was better, WAAY better to identify the three segments, at risk, at average, and gifted and provide them with the educational nourishment they need.

And oh yeah- parents need a swifft kick in the a*s and stop blaming teachers for the kids snot-nosed, lack of respect attitudes. You don't deserve to deal with that crap. We had a place for them too when I was growing up- Boys Village, lol.

Agreed- it's no fun being in the classroom nowadays and I totally empathize with you.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,192,624 times
Bring back Pruntytown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia