U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2010, 11:37 PM

15,447 posts, read 33,854,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
They certainly do qualify for gov't programs whether they're working or not. Off the books in underground economy (no taxes, no rules, no standards) work for poverty wages, and supplement their income with a variety of govt programs. Nearly free health care is one of them.
What programs give them free healthcare?

I'm an American and haven't had heathcare in 20 years...if I knew a way to afford it, I would quickly get it. (Abroad it is so cheap just going to the doctor, so I don't worry about it outside of the States).

Not only that, but for my family, my wife and son, I'm scared when they even visit America without healthcare...(we're Americans living abroad).

If you know where illegals get free healthcare at...I'd certainly like to know. Even if it's nearly free. Myself, my wife and my son are all visiting family in Michigan for two months (February & March), and if we have any kind of situation come up...would be good to know that there is something available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 AM

4,712 posts, read 11,571,019 times
I don't believe this!

If you ever go into a WV hospital...look at the wall plaque in the ER waiting room...the one that says that nobody will be refused medical help...

What kind of social program is this???

A broad one that is very expensive.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:07 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,180,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Yeah, from what I've experienced it's a double standard. A lot of older people ARE blown away that a 23 year old actually knows about politics and issues. But the moment I disagree with something they say or believe in... "well I'm just too young and stupid." , "You'll learn when you get older". It's this mentality that causes a lot of problems, and perhaps why others my age and generation don't care about these issues. Because they're always told that their ideas, views, and opinions don't matter or we are too young to understand. Our opinion matters just as much as any 50, 60, 70 year old. All of our votes are equal, and as we saw in this last national election, younger people are starting to care more and more about politics.

With that being said... could the Americans who are glued to FOX please calm down... your lord and savior Palin is coming to the rescue... ha ha ha ha
The only opinions that count are qualified ones. Qualified ones happen by staying aware with education. No matter how old you get, don't ever stop learning. I read a minimum of 3 sources of news daily. I learn something from just about everyone I've met my whole life. The more people I learn from, the wiser I get. The more experience I have to use as reference library, the better qualified I am. You're no slouch for 23, but you know there are quite a few kids out there who think they know it all without even opening a book. They also think nothing of the considerable experience of their parents, and if they saw it as inheritance squandered, they might think better before it's too late. Most get over that in their teens, but some never grow up. Sad to report I've met 60's who to this day blame their parents for their whole miserable lives. I've met 70's with the emotional maturity of a 14 yr old. The lesson they teach: what not to be.

Palin on national ticket will kill the republican party. Right up there with rapping republicans gettin' in touch with the 'ghetto'. I don't want R's to go extinct but they're doing it to themselves. This identity crisis is hideous, isn't it?

Old 01-17-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I don't believe this!

If you ever go into a WV hospital...look at the wall plaque in the ER waiting room...the one that says that nobody will be refused medical help...

What kind of social program is this???

A broad one that is very expensive.
THAT program IS messed up...basically 50 million who can't afford insurance or don't have the corporate or government employer to give it to them. SO...it has become commonplace for people who have injuries to just walk into the ER bypassing every other venue.

I have heard that with this, they don't even have an emergency, it's just the only way to get care.

Yeah, I can see illegals MUST do this way, as no other way when having serious injuries.

Good point...don't know any way around that though. Personally, I think we need to completely obliterate the entire healthcare 'insurance' system. Make that entire thing just illegal and outlaw it. It's a pure middleman profit system where they mark up something as important as personal healthcare to insane rates to make a profitable industry off of it.

If medical were simply AT COST...without the incredible middleman profits system implanted into it, we'd all be able to live and afford basic medical needs like we should.

-----------

Of course that still means illegals who get hit by buses or shot or whatever will still need care. I wonder what the procedure is for an American in say Mexico when they get hit by a bus or stabbed and end up in an emergency room....wonder how their hospitals 'collect'.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:28 AM

967 posts, read 2,621,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I wonder what the procedure is for an American in say Mexico when they get hit by a bus or stabbed and end up in an emergency room....wonder how their hospitals 'collect'.
I lived in the Abu Dhabi, UAE for a while- the wealthiest place on the planet. A German businessman was on his way to the airport to fly back home after a business trip in Dubai. On the way, he had a heart attack. he was rushed to the hospital and treated. I forgot the duration of the stay, but it wasn't long... maybe a week or two. While there, he racked up about $80,000 USD in bills. He didn't have that much, and hadn't purchased travelers health insurance. The Emirates confiscated his passport, and discharged him. When his cash ran out, he slept on the beach, and scrounged food. His employer wasn't going to pay his bill, and the wealthiest country on the planet wasn't going to waive them. long story short, the newspaper ran a story about his plight, and a wealthy German ex-pat paid his bill. His passport was returned, and he was allowed to purchase a ticket back home.
The US gives "free" services to anyone, just like DK pointed out. The placard is in all hospitals. That is how illegals get "free' care. They use the ER for all their needs, and know that they will never have to pay.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:37 AM

4,712 posts, read 11,571,019 times
In mind mind I see a set of balance scales..

on one side is the waste/costs...on the other side is the Hippocratic Oath in its purest form....

The problem is the abuse of the system.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
I lived in the Abu Dhabi, UAE for a while- the wealthiest place on the planet. A German businessman was on his way to the airport to fly back home after a business trip in Dubai. On the way, he had a heart attack. he was rushed to the hospital and treated. I forgot the duration of the stay, but it wasn't long... maybe a week or two. While there, he racked up about $80,000 USD in bills. He didn't have that much, and hadn't purchased travelers health insurance. The Emirates confiscated his passport, and discharged him. When his cash ran out, he slept on the beach, and scrounged food. His employer wasn't going to pay his bill, and the wealthiest country on the planet wasn't going to waive them. long story short, the newspaper ran a story about his plight, and a wealthy German ex-pat paid his bill. His passport was returned, and he was allowed to purchase a ticket back home.
The US gives "free" services to anyone, just like DK pointed out. The placard is in all hospitals. That is how illegals get "free' care. They use the ER for all their needs, and know that they will never have to pay.
So what would happen to an American who had the same thing happen in America and accrued that kind of debt? (i.e. had no health insurance).

As far as I know, that person is just 'in debt for life', right? Screwed forever...is that about right?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 AM

9,327 posts, read 11,140,271 times
You are talking about two different issues here...

With regard to the illegals, they get free medical care because
they are treated for free and there is no way to collect the
money from them. The costs just get passed on to all the rest
of us.

With regard to Americans without insurance, they can end up
with a debt from the service. In my view the solution is
relatively simple. Instead of the special interest group crap that
is controlling the current debate, which clearly is resulting in
nothing constructive (i.e. no cost reduction since the Dems
won't allow tort reform), just give those without insurance
Medicaid instead of screwing all the rest of us up, reducing
everyone to the lowest common denominator type of coverage.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:53 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,308,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I'm 100% with you. I've seen them ruin entire towns in the Northeast. The biggest problems start when the females come and start having kids... the "anchor babies" that because of our stupid immigration laws automatically are citizens regardless of the status of the parents and are thus entitled to benefits on the backs of our already stressed taxpayers.
You are mistaken about the "anchor babies". If you enter the country illegally you can not become a citizen...period. It doesn't matter who you marry, if you're a refugee, or how many kids you have. You enter illegally, and you're going home if they catch you. I get this information from my girlfriend who was an immigration lawyer for half a decade here in Pittsburgh. If I were in a similar situation to these people, you'd be sure that I would hope the border without hesitation as well. They can't merely choose to become US citizens and save up enough peso's to buy their way in. Illegally immigrating is their only option.

No one is losing their job to them unless you're talking about landscaping or some other job where you can be paid under the table. Most of the time the people working with these jobs are being paid under the table already, thus we're not losing out on any tax revenue. Another means for the illegals to get work is for them to submit fake ID's with fake SSN's. They usually work for a year at a place like Walmart, paying into social security and other taxes that they will never get a return from. The illegals often quit these jobs around the same time of the year (usually when the company reports its employment info to the government).

As far as outsourcing goes (as some have mentioned), annexing Mexico will simply push manufacturing jobs out of that country. Outsourcing is a fact of life so we can either become isolationist (and cut off our nose to spite our face) or we can cope with it and adapt.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,308,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You are talking about two different issues here...

With regard to the illegals, they get free medical care because
they are treated for free and there is no way to collect the
money from them. The costs just get passed on to all the rest
of us.
While some of them are receiving free medical care, most refuse to access it due to the fear of being caught and sent home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia