Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 06:43 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,035,127 times

Advertisements

[quote=Q-tip motha;12615713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
When our national unemployment rate is WHAT?
Not the fault of the illegals, and the result of a shift from a manufacturing based economy to that of a service based one. The illegals haven't caused outsourcing, and most of the jobs they are taking are minimum wage or very low paying ones at that.

What else can you scapegoat on them? The cost of healthcare? Outsourcing? Poverty?

You'd be very surprised to have someone translate that fine print for you. It isn't happening, and that comes straight from a lawyer.

Your initial post was laced with latent racism and hypocrisy. You expect them to live in the squalor of the third world and not attempt to better themselves.

You honestly expect me to assume that you're well traveled when you suggest that immigrants enjoy a decent quality of life in their home country, and just "want more" while you enjoy life in one of the nicest countries in the world? You sound like Pat Robertson trying to describe the Dominican Republic as being "prosperous" when people actually have to lock themselves inside with bars on the windows because the crime is so bad.
First of all, most of those jobs wouldn't be minimum wage if not for the fact that the illicits are here putting downward pressure on the market for them. Construction jobs used to be well paying, now they hire illegals when they can because they can get them for $8 per hour and pay no taxes or benefits on their labor. The American worker is taking it on the chin in a major way.
And, our youth used to be able to land those minimum wage jobs of which you write disparagingly. They aren't available to them any more in many areas.

And, since you're a lawyer you should be familiar with the concept that a person arguing for a position does not constitute "latent racism", which is a term most often used by the leftists when they run out or logical arguments and must resort to such attacks in order to profer some form of answer to a logical argument. You can always throw out a word like "racist", even when something has nothing to do with race, and hope someone will back off. I don't often agree with harborlady about things, but her comments were in no way racist. I'll bet you don't win very many cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:06 PM

68 posts, read 187,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
The email you posted above is bogus. It has been around since 2002 attributed to different people usually retired police officers. Those figures were discredited a long time ago.
Why didn't you quote that post?

Discredited? Or, argued over?

95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

"The most commonly quoted source for this is a report by Heather McDonald and published by the Center for Immigration Studies. She repeated her research on April 13, 2005 in testimony before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on "Immigration, Border Security, and Claims" saying that 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide in Los Angeles targeted illegal aliens."

Old 02-01-2010, 01:18 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv.artistry View Post
Why didn't you quote that post?

Discredited? Or, argued over?

95% of warrants for murder in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens.

"The most commonly quoted source for this is a report by Heather McDonald and published by the Center for Immigration Studies. She repeated her research on April 13, 2005 in testimony before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on "Immigration, Border Security, and Claims" saying that 95 percent of all outstanding warrants for homicide in Los Angeles targeted illegal aliens."
Not argued over, unsourced, Heather McDonald used so many unsourced or incorrect sources her report was widely discredited. As I said before I'm not making a case for illegal immigration. There are many credible sources to make your point, this just isn't one of them.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 PM

I'm a former cop, and I worked for more than two decades in the criminal justice system. Illegal aliens are disproportionately represented in the criminal element, especially in terms of violent and drug related crimes. Areas that have large concentrations of them have correctional facilities filled by them. But, even more importantly, we do not need them in West Virginia or any place else. We have millions of unemployed Americans who need every available job, and they will pay the proper taxes if they are hired.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM

We just need to deport anyone who breaks our laws and is here illegally. Just doing that would basically solve our unemployment problem and it would restore a living wage to many occupations that are now ruined by cheap foreign labor.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:44 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times
I look for the new Repulican congress to present gift packages to out of country business in order to bring them back to the USA....
tax breaks, incentives and the ending of a cycle will bring them back...it's time and the people are speaking at the polls.

America is a big corporation and the quacks in the rotunda want to stay there...watch and see!

Old 11-14-2010, 06:18 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,165,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I look for the new Repulican congress to present gift packages to out of country business in order to bring them back to the USA....
tax breaks, incentives and the ending of a cycle will bring them back...it's time and the people are speaking at the polls.

America is a big corporation and the quacks in the rotunda want to stay there...watch and see!
I don't see the congress doing anything.

However, what might bring back business is the fact that the Dollar seems to be getting weaker and weaker all the time. It seems intentional to me. I think it is because China keeps their yuan low, meaning that they get to export like crazy from it.

I personally think there is some unsaid/unspoken intention to lower the Dollar to become more competitive with the Chinese, and get some exports going from the U.S. again.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:16 PM

There is no way to compete with $8 per day labor. We need trade protections again, and that includes on services. We have millions of
unemployed but when you call your bank you get somebody in India.
That's what they need to tax... not Americans.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't see the congress doing anything.

However, what might bring back business is the fact that the Dollar seems to be getting weaker and weaker all the time. It seems intentional to me. I think it is because China keeps their yuan low, meaning that they get to export like crazy from it.

I personally think there is some unsaid/unspoken intention to lower the Dollar to become more competitive with the Chinese, and get some exports going from the U.S. again.
Yes of course it is but it's a losing proposition. You can't beat CHina at this game. You lower yours, they lower theirs.

We saw what the results were when we complained at the G20. We were told to bugger off.

No, we need a strong dollar combined with tax policy that encourages companies to keep their money and jobs here.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:10 PM

I can't argue with that, and will add that we need a trade policy to match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia