Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 PM

9 posts, read 20,119 times

Advertisements

If we do have enough of this someday it is good or interesting to know that illegals were removed by our government from this country in the late 1940's to the 1950's by President Eisenhower.
Look at this url or do a google search of " Operation *******. " Not a nice term but it worked.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0706/ps09s01-coop.html (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 04:06 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
*This is going to be my only post in this thread.*

I think it can be agreed upon that the current immigration system is broken and needs fixed. But the problem is also a result of NAFTA and the American appetite for drugs combined with the War on Drugs that has created such a horrible environment in Mexico. And also the fact that Americans ARE NOT WILLING to do menial jobs that we require for our economy to keep chugging along.

I also think there is an excessive focus on Mexico to say this isn't a completely non-racial issue... I mean, bringing Hitler up in this particular discussion?? Really?? There are undocumented migrants of all nationalities in present in the U.S. Canadians, British, Australians, Germans, Russians, Thais, Chinese, Poles, Koreans, etc. Why are Mexican people singled out? Because they're poor? Because they're brown? Because their language and culture is seen as a threat to traditional, white, American culture and language?

The arguments often used are that illegal immigrants are the ones who are committing all the crimes and are draining social services and not paying taxes, but this has been shown to be utterly false time and time again.

Check out these links... And note that they're not extremist, left-wing, propaganda groups that no one has ever heard of. They're highly-reputable, mainstream news agencies: Newsweek, USA Today, the NY Times, and Reuters.

Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com

Here Illegally, Working Hard and Paying Taxes - New York Times

How Immigrants Actually Reduce Crime - Newsweek

Study finds immigrants commit less California crime | Reuters

But I will say I have known and worked with many undocumented migrants from Mexico and Central America and I admire them for risking their lives for the American dream of better opportunities and a better life for themselves and their families. These are truly the kind of people we want to integrate into our society. I just wish we could de-integrate certain other kinds of people already here....

And as for Operation Wetb@ck? It violated the civil rights of Hispanic Americans--legal immigrants and US citizens. I cannot imagine a show-me-your-papers society here in the U.S. Violating the constitution and the civil rights of all Americans? Not going to fly. If it does become law, THEN we will see the splitting of this country. Real American citizens are not going to stand for ignorance-driven fear mongering, ethnic and racial prejudice, hyper-nationalism, and xenophobia. And it will show at the ballot box.

Last edited by backdrifter; 06-18-2011 at 04:15 PM..

Old 06-18-2011, 04:29 PM

285 posts, read 703,132 times
Why are people so interested in going after immigrants? Why not go after the real culprits--the ones who knowingly hire illegal immigrants and pay them illegal wages?

If you can't get people to do the work, pay them a legal and living wage!

Old 06-18-2011, 05:12 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Ok, clearly you're on a rant. Some Hispanic person has obviously pi$$ed you off an now you have a vendetta against them. Did you go to every states message board and post this garbage? People also said these comments when the Irish came over in large numbers, then the Germans and Italians got the same treatment. Now, people like you and FOX news are treating Hispanic people like this. I really hate to break this to you, but not every Hispanic person you see is illegal. 90%+ are legal and many actually had family here before the southwest was even apart of the United States. White people invaded land that was rightfully Hispanic and Native Americans homeland.

I think people in West Virginia need to be less concerned with what a racist in Texas thinks and what laws we should pass, and more on issues actually affecting the state and trying to make the state a better place.

1. Rockefeller is a Democrat, and I think it would be safe to say he is a fairly moderate an progressive Dem at that, I don't think he is about to draw up legislation for bigotry. 2. I think you're confusing our federal senator with one or our state senators, who would actually have the ability to propose legislation that directly affects West Virginia rules and laws. 3. Also, as Jesco White said, a majority of people do not consider WV a part of the south.

I'd personally like to start a grassroots movement to ban ignorant and racist people from West Virginia. There's an idea
Anyone who deplores illegal immigration is branded a racist. What an age of insanity we live in.

As a native Calfornia who has seen my state overrun by illegals who mass produce, dumb down the K-12 public school system, demand accommodation in every conceivable way and take far more than they give, I can tell you that it's your obfuscationist, illegal alien sympathizer and defender mentality that will result in your state being as exploited and irreversibly changed as the southwestern states because it's not the illegals who are the main cause of the problem. It's their sympathizers.

You might consider ceasing to give politically correct lectures and look at this issue as someone who has something to lose. Once you stop reiterating what the PC people tell you to think and say, you might see things differently.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

I think it can be agreed upon that the current immigration system is broken and needs fixed. But the problem is also a result of NAFTA and the American appetite for drugs combined with the War on Drugs that has created such a horrible environment in Mexico. And also the fact that Americans ARE NOT WILLING to do menial jobs that we require for our economy to keep chugging along.
Not true. They are unwilling to do them for below minimum wage. The reason thay pay below minimum wage is because there are illegals willing to work under the table for that.

A citizen working for minimum wage in the end actually makes even less because of taxes.

Quote:
The arguments often used are that illegal immigrants are the ones who are committing all the crimes and are draining social services and not paying taxes, but this has been shown to be utterly false time and time again.
Nobody has ever said they commit "all" of the crimes. Creating a false arguement and then argueing against that isn't all that hard.

Quote:
But I will say I have known and worked with many undocumented migrants from Mexico and Central America and I admire them for risking their lives for the American dream of better opportunities and a better life for themselves and their families. These are truly the kind of people we want to integrate into our society. I just wish we could de-integrate certain other kinds of people already here....
We have a system for those we want here to come here legally.

Quote:
And as for Operation Wetb@ck? It violated the civil rights of Hispanic Americans--legal immigrants and US citizens. I cannot imagine a show-me-your-papers society here in the U.S. Violating the constitution and the civil rights of all Americans? Not going to fly. If it does become law, THEN we will see the splitting of this country. Real American citizens are not going to stand for ignorance-driven fear mongering, ethnic and racial prejudice, hyper-nationalism, and xenophobia. And it will show at the ballot box.
If I get picked up for braking the law, I'm going to have to prove who I am.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post
Why are people so interested in going after immigrants? Why not go after the real culprits--the ones who knowingly hire illegal immigrants and pay them illegal wages?

We should go after them and most of the new laws have enacted tougher fines against those who hire illegals.

I say that they should make it hurt.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,490,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
Well you think your way and I'll think mine. I obviously haven't been around places surrounded by illegal immigration, I mean Phoenix, Arizona is just a sea of white people everywhere I tell ya. No, I'm at ground zero here and I see the positive things immigration does for an area instead of just focusing on the negative. I have to admit I only read about half of what you ever write because I just find it ridiculous but I tried realllllly, realllllly hard this time and finished it. Again, I find your hate speech full of b/s and lacking any factual information backing up your needless irrational fear of immigrants.
Im in Tempe and there are still to many ILLEGAL aliens here. Most of them ARE Mexican. Its the truth. It aint hate speech.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:32 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,041,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YtownGuy View Post

I agree that they are bigger culprits, but that does not excuse ignoring our laws or jumping ahead of others in the line. Mandatory use of E-Verify would go a long way toward solving the problem.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:36 PM

9 posts, read 20,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

I also think there is an excessive focus on Mexico to say this isn't a completely non-racial issue... I mean, bringing Hitler up in this particular discussion?? Really?? There are undocumented migrants of all nationalities in present in the U.S. Canadians, British, Australians, Germans, Russians, Thais, Chinese, Poles, Koreans, etc. Why are Mexican people singled out? Because they're poor? Because they're brown? Because their language and culture is seen as a threat to traditional, white, American culture and language?

Check out these links... And note that they're not extremist, left-wing, propaganda groups that no one has ever heard of. They're highly-reputable, mainstream news agencies: Newsweek, USA Today, the NY Times, and Reuters.

Many illegal immigrants pay up at tax time - USATODAY.com

Here Illegally, Working Hard and Paying Taxes - New York Times

How Immigrants Actually Reduce Crime - Newsweek

Study finds immigrants commit less California crime | Reuters

When I say "a Hitler" I'm only saying to the extreme that the person would get things done. The government is already groping everyone in airports and are wanting to use it many other places like concerts and sporting events. If the American people will aquiesce to that then they will accept deportation. Also illegals, not being citizens of the United States of America have no rights here accept for human rights. Mexico blocks their borders and helps Salvadorians and Guatemalens find their way home on a daily basis. I think your heart is in the right place, just that you don't realize how serious this illegal immigrant situation is. Finally Newsweek, USA Today, N.Y. York Times and Reuters are fairly far left publications so one (anyone) would expect them to adhere to the lefts pro-illegal immigrant spin.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Im in Tempe and there are still to many ILLEGAL aliens here. Most of them ARE Mexican. Its the truth. It aint hate speech.
How do you know they're illegal? Do you do random checks on the street of anyone darker than khaki shorts? "HEY STOP!!! Sir, you look Hispanic I'm going to need to see some proof of citizenship." Come on! You're just profiling and assuming they're illegal.

Actually you all, check out the last name on his screen name... hmmmmm

Would you mind sending me a copy of your birth certificate or passport? We can never be too sure apparently
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia