U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2009, 03:59 PM
 
4,714 posts, read 11,718,462 times
Reputation: 1049

Advertisements

Those Italians came here by way of Ellis Island...and the unhealthy were returned to their homeland with broken hearts...

sound like our situation today? hardly!

I hope you high school sophmores get the information you need for your Term Paper before the holidays overtake us...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 PM
 
9,405 posts, read 11,471,164 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vells View Post
Are you actually trying to say that, objectively, out of all of the jobs out there, an adult in the United States is making a "good career choice" if their job title is "unskilled laborer" or "manual fruit harvester"?

I'm not talking about electricians, plumbers, licensed professionals, but unskilled and semi-skilled labor.
We have our own unskilled people about which to worry. We sure don't need theirs, and their mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, aged and infirmed grandparents, etc. There are 15.4 million unemployed American citizens right now. Most of the problem would be solved in short order if they would boat out the illicit aliens, which comprise nearly the same number.

Besides, it is not just fruit pickers involved here. They have essentially ruined the construction industry for Americans in many parts of the country. And all those jobs would be filled with Americans if the employers would pay a prevailing wage. They want to get by on the cheap at taxpayer expense, and their wacko feel good allies help them abuse our system at every turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 04:23 PM
 
88 posts, read 206,975 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
We have our own unskilled people about which to worry. We sure don't need theirs, and their mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, aged and infirmed grandparents, etc. There are 15.4 million unemployed American citizens right now. Most of the problem would be solved in short order if they would boat out the illicit aliens, which comprise nearly the same number.

Besides, it is not just fruit pickers involved here. They have essentially ruined the construction industry for Americans in many parts of the country. And all those jobs would be filled with Americans if the employers would pay a prevailing wage. They want to get by on the cheap at taxpayer expense, and their wacko feel good allies help them abuse our system at every turn.
Studies have actually shown that, with the exception of high school drop-outs and other woefully under-skilled people, the economic impact of illegal immigration on American jobs is negligible.

Q&A: Illegal Immigrants and the U.S. Economy : NPR

Your flawed logic is that it's an apples to apples comparison between the unemployment numbers and the unskilled labor force. The 15.4 million unemployed are not all unskilled labor and high school dropouts. Unemployment affects many layers of the socio-economic strata. An unemployed computer programmer or teacher would probably collect unemployment rather than go stack rebar for $8/hour. Also, not everyone is physically cut out to do that kind of work, nor would they break their back for those low wages (which would remain low because -- duh -- they're unskilled jobs, no matter what the immigrant population does).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Destrehan, Louisiana
2,192 posts, read 6,039,383 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
I'm all for coming down hard on the illegals! I saw some of them up in Fayetteville at the new CVS. Does anyone know where I call to rat them out? I will gladly do the job the are doing. As for butternut mctoots, do you want to hire me? I am looking for a job.
To report suspicious activity call 1-866-DHS-2-ICE.

ICE Office of Detention and Removal (DRO) (http://www.ice.gov/pi/dro/index.htm - broken link)


I'm in construction and I am tired of these people taking our jobs.

I have the number programed in my cell and whenever I see someone who is illegal, I call and report them.


busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Destrehan, Louisiana
2,192 posts, read 6,039,383 times
Reputation: 3600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vells View Post
Studies have actually shown that, with the exception of high school drop-outs and other woefully under-skilled people, the economic impact of illegal immigration on American jobs is negligible.

Q&A: Illegal Immigrants and the U.S. Economy : NPR

Your flawed logic is that it's an apples to apples comparison between the unemployment numbers and the unskilled labor force. The 15.4 million unemployed are not all unskilled labor and high school dropouts. Unemployment affects many layers of the socio-economic strata. An unemployed computer programmer or teacher would probably collect unemployment rather than go stack rebar for $8/hour. Also, not everyone is physically cut out to do that kind of work, nor would they break their back for those low wages (which would remain low because -- duh -- they're unskilled jobs, no matter what the immigrant population does).

The problem is, 10 years ago Americans were stacking re-bar for $25 per hour and paying taxes.

Today you're lucky to make $8 per hour doing the same thing because the law breakers will work for nothing, live 20 to an apartment and send most of the money they make home and not pay taxes.

They also overload our schools with kids that can't read or write and overload our medical system with bills that we, (tax payers) have to pay.


busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
608 posts, read 791,637 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
The problem is, 10 years ago Americans were stacking re-bar for $25 per hour and paying taxes.

Today you're lucky to make $8 per hour doing the same thing because the law breakers will work for nothing, live 20 to an apartment and send most of the money they make home and not pay taxes.

They also overload our schools with kids that can't read or write and overload our medical system with bills that we, (tax payers) have to pay.


busta
It's pointless to try to present truth and reason to these open borders/bleeding heart types that are so willing to give illegals the benefit of doubt, since their way of life, career, or status isn't changed by the illegals' presence. Of course, any reasonably thinking person would conclude that if even ONE illegal is taking a job away from a qualified American citizen that wants it, then there is a problem. Between higher crime, disease, failure to respect American culture, welfare and social security fraud, the driving down of wages in agriculture and construction, and their willingness to send most of their money out of the U.S , I can't find any reason why somebody would defend these people being in our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM
 
88 posts, read 206,975 times
Reputation: 62
It's funny, if you look at how this thread starts.

A guy states that he likes to drive by construction sites, checking out the guys working there. If he sees something that arouses his curiosity, he calls a hotline, and advocates that others do what he's doing . . .


. . . what does that sound like to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,268,254 times
Reputation: 6815
Why don't you do something for a living that illegals can't? This is what the white trash in the South complained about when the slaves were freed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2009, 05:53 AM
 
4,714 posts, read 11,718,462 times
Reputation: 1049
Thanks Bustaduke..I'm putting that ICE phone number in my phone...next time I see somebody suspicous, I'll give them a call...looks like they need an office here in NorCenWv.

And why not...didn't the commies in Ruska spy on the neighbors for the government...???

Do we have a federal hotline number to report the dope dealers...might as well work 2 ends at the same time.

With some effort on the home front, we as regular citizens can keep Wv a great place for our law abiding residents.

We can keep a Status Quo and call it Change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2009, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,224,534 times
Reputation: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Thanks Bustaduke..I'm putting that ICE phone number in my phone...next time I see somebody suspicous, I'll give them a call...looks like they need an office here in NorCenWv.

And why not...didn't the commies in Ruska spy on the neighbors for the government...???

Do we have a federal hotline number to report the dope dealers...might as well work 2 ends at the same time.

With some effort on the home front, we as regular citizens can keep Wv a great place for our law abiding residents.

We can keep a Status Quo and call it Change.
ha ha that reminds me of one of my parents neighbors. They're good friends with my dads' parents and apparently they think its their job to do the reporting for the area. They felt the need to talk around about the late hours I would get in, or if my mom didn't go to work one day. The old man would ride by our house on his golf cart and slow down and stare as he drove by our house while he was observing, then run back to his house and call the other geriatrics in the area. One day he did it nonchalantly as my mom was leaving for work, and she in her lab coat and scrubs just flipped him the bird! Hilarious.

I can picture it now, old folks hiding behind fences with their cell phones calling the hotline on everyone whose skin is darker than khaki. ha ha
"Hey we got some illegals here in West Virginia" lol

Maybe those "illegals" will respond with the same courtesy my mom did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top