U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-07-2009, 02:08 AM
 
88 posts, read 207,013 times
Reputation: 62

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
An unconvicted criminal once said this profoundly: "It just depends on what your definition of IS, is."

And by saying that phrase, he gave license to every crackpot and anarchist from that day forward...

they come and eventually they go from this blog...always filled with self loathing and denial and refusing the counseling that will get them out of their 'stuck' position.


Our state prisons are approaching overload now...a solution would be to begin killing the offenders of the higher crimes or turning them loose.

A deterret to future crime might be a speedy trial and a speedy hanging...I mention that because it has worked very well in the past.
Way to change the subject again with something irrelevant to the discussion (Bill Clinton jokes never get old, do they?).

I've finished arguing because you and your pals have so far, to me, demonstrated no intelligent retort to what I have to say.

Last edited by Vells; 12-07-2009 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 AM
 
4,714 posts, read 11,720,843 times
Reputation: 1049
Thank you, have a nice day...don't let the door (slammer) hit you in the A$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
1,261 posts, read 3,335,693 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vells View Post
Okay, I gues it's futile to ask a bunch of people who are ostensibly high school dropouts afraid that undocumented immigrants will take their jobs away, and whose only frame of reference is Fox News talking points to go and "do their homework" on the issue.

When I lived in WV, I met a lot of people who were very conscious of the social, economic, and political struggles in Appalachia's past. Then, you have the people who run around spewing off their half-informed (and often erroneous) opinions validating the stereotypes against West Virginians as bigoted and ignorant.

Bottom line, though: if you're in the construction business and your competitors are undercutting your bids by hiring undocumented workers and paying them a substandard wage under the table, then, sure, report those companies as suspect. Unfortunately, though, unless you happen to know whether or not someone has a work permit (and, by the way, lots of people from El Salvador, Nicaragua, etc, actually are here legally under political asylum status granted them or their parents by Reagan in the 1980's), all you're doing is racial profiling and "guessing" that someone of darker complection and speaking with an accent may be illegal.

Adding to the hilarity is the fact that WV is not exactlly a mecca for undocumented workers, and, in the construction industry, the native born high school drropouts and teenagers are also getting paid "off the books" in cash, for a substandard wage (and not paying taxes! Deny it -- I dare you, you people who spout off about how much you know about the construction industry).

If course, if they tightened up the scrutiny, then some of you same contractors will start whining about how much he govt is poking around in your business during tax season.
I cannot rep you enough for this.

I still cannot even get over the fact that people in West Virginia are so worried about the prospect of illegal immigrants taking "their" jobs. It doesn't take much to realize that West Virginia has almost zero ethnic diversity...even in the state's largest cities. Add in a relatively unstable economy and can more than see why they aren't exactly beating down the door to move in.

I'm also surprised that many of the same individuals ranting about this alleged problem are political conservatives who have been all for less government intrusion in the business world. Surely the mere notion that the gubbermint can tell people who they can and cannot hire is Socialist!

I must ask...If an immigrant (who may or may not be illegal) can do just as good of a job on a construction site as the high school drop-outs in town and is willing to accept lower pay for his work, how is he really robbing someone else of a paycheck?

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 12-07-2009 at 06:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Arlington, VA
1,261 posts, read 3,335,693 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Wow. We feel so blessed that you've condescended all the way from DC to shower us with you thoughts. Considering how little stock you place in state, perhaps you should remain focused on your dear DC. I just heard we're letting in immigrants with AIDS. Perhaps, in the name of diversity, you'd like to share your house with them. After all, you are "highly appreciative" of the diversity afforded by illegal's.

What a pompous fool. Glad to know you no longer pollute our state with your presence.
Wow. BURN. You sure hurt my feelings. I was making a point and in no way stating that everyone in West Virginia was like that. The only people I really made look bad were my relatives in the southern part of the state and they would still proudly defend such beliefs. Is the fact that West Virginia has such a low immigrant population not something many of you have touted before?? How is my saying that those with similar views will always have a place like the Mountain State to move to really a negative in your book?

You really need to get over yourself. You aren't even from West Virginia and are hardly the expert authority on things related to the state. You should stay in Hinton where you can keep your racist and xenophobic views isolated from the real world.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 12-07-2009 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 07:48 AM
 
9,408 posts, read 11,478,393 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vells View Post
That's an easy one, it's called a Taxpayer ID (ITIN): Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

As for the other links:
So what, Bill O'Reilly an a religious website make a list of "sanctuary cities" not sure what that was supposed to prove -- other than the fact that some cities have decided that they have bigger issues than undocumented workers. One of your links didn't even spell "Houston" correctly, unless they actually meant some place called "Huston."

That "victims" site? First, I don't make light of victims of any crime committed by anyone. But, if you look at it, it goes back to 1971, lists about 385 names, many of them "John Doe," or "Jane Doe" with no other information -- how do you even know that website is accurate?

As far as California crime stats (which, your site erroneously listed California's undocumented immigrant population at 3%, and 17% of prison population -- undocumented immigrants compose actually 35% of the overall state population):
Press Release

Here's an actual DOJ document on the prison system population demographics:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/pim08st.pdf (broken link)

In all state prison systems (where most of the property and violent crime offenders go) combined, non-U.S. citizen prisoners (of both documented and undocumented status -- they don't have the numbers breaking out the undocumented immigrant prisoners for every state) compose about 4.6% of the overall prison population.

See, actual information, not some politically slanted website's propaganda. I could link to stuff like the Huffington Post, but I'm intentionally not linking what I know to be partisan viewpoints when citing statistics.

I'm finished arguing this, though. I don't know why I even cared what the WV message board looks like here. It's just kind of interesting to see this kind of lawn tractor pontification posted online.

Good luck cruising the job sites and checking out the workers, gentlemen. I hope no one mistakes your intentions gives you their phone number!
So, what do you suggest? Obviously you lack any real facts, but supposing the leftist idiots and their rightest "fiscal conservative" allies who would destroy the way of life of the world's best country and its middle class have some kind of legitimate point, are you suggesting that we simply ignore our borders and our right to defend them? That we ignore those who have violated our laws and illicitly taken jobs that should be going to Americans?
That we simply turn our heads at the lawlessness, and the threats to our culture? That victims of illegal alien crime are meaningless? That our overburdened taxpayers and social services system should just take on the problems of other countries so you can feel good about it? All of which is just plain stupid from a common sense point of view, even without the massive evidence that supports the fact that they shouldn't be here.

Oh, and your Federal Identification Number that you say allows them to pay taxes. They lie to get it. They steal others identities to get it... they'd take yours in a heartbeat if they could get your name and social security number, and some of them would get credit cards with it too. They purchase phoney documents with stolen identities, sometimes taken from obituaries, and are protected in the process in "sanctuary cities". You wack jobs are part of the problem, not part of anything that will make our country a better place. Instead of harming your own country, why don't you go to theirs and show them how to make the world a worse place by becoming wackos with entitlement mentalities. Then you could feel good about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 AM
 
9,408 posts, read 11,478,393 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I cannot rep you enough for this.

I still cannot even get over the fact that people in West Virginia are so worried about the prospect of illegal immigrants taking "their" jobs. It doesn't take much to realize that West Virginia has almost zero ethnic diversity...even in the state's largest cities. Add in a relatively unstable economy and can more than see why they aren't exactly beating down the door to move in.

I'm also surprised that many of the same individuals ranting about this alleged problem are political conservatives who have been all for less government intrusion in the business world. Surely the mere notion that the gubbermint can tell people who they can and cannot hire is Socialist!

I must ask...If an immigrant (who may or may not be illegal) can do just as good of a job on a construction site as the high school drop-outs in town and is willing to accept lower pay for his work, how is he really robbing someone else of a paycheck?
First of all, someone who sneaks in the back door without permission is not an "immigrant". He/she is an illegal alien who is not supposed to be here.
There are all sorts of problems that come about due to that presence, and I dealt with them on a first hand basis for many years in areas where it is a major problem. West Virginia has been relatively fortunate in that regard, and hopefully will remain so.

As to your contention about "diversity" I know something about that too. Diversity is the antithesis of integration and assimilation, and is culture conflict waiting to happen. It is exactly the opposite of what was preached by the great Martin Luther King, and is a response to the fact that racism is at least as prevailent in minority circles as it is in white circles. It basically legitimizes that racism under the guise of acceptance, and gives the feel good folks another reason to create victims to pity and to self flagilate themselves for happening to be white.

And, there are 15.4 million officially unemployed people in this country at this time. Perhaps some of them are your friends or family members? Most of that would disappear overnight if we simply enforced the existing immigration laws currently on the books. Absolutely no "reform" is needed. The elitist power brokers have ignored them in the past, and there is no evidence that they would use them in the future. They simply use them as excuses to further assail our middle class and move on to the point where they can claim another round of "reforms" is needed after we again get fed up with their amnesty provisos create more hardships for us.

Remember, the elitist bozos, like the illegals they use to supress the cost of labor, pay little to no taxes and are able to shift the consequences of their actions on to the rest of us. They manage to get the best of most worlds while insuring that we take the hit for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Cottageville, West Virginia
175 posts, read 502,463 times
Reputation: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Or to get out of it they'll join the Navy like perhaps you did.
Perhaps you're correct; however, just for clarification....I joined the Navy in 1962 at age 17 before I was even draft eligible. Also served 13 months, 1967-1968, in I Corps and the Mekong Delta with CBMU-302 (Seabees). I wasn't running from anything....I was running to it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Elkins, WV
1,981 posts, read 5,225,765 times
Reputation: 807
They took our jobs!!!

South Park's rendition of conservative rednecks fear of "illegals"

This whole notion is really quite entertaining for anyone with brain activity. ha ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Status: "Gone hunting until December!" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
10,967 posts, read 14,612,086 times
Reputation: 11413
Going after illegals is the wrong approach. It costs to much to apprehend them, build fences, hire border guards, build prisons, etc.

You go after the folks with the $$ that hire them, personal and corporate. You hit them where it hurts. You scrutinize tax returns, employee records.. You know- all the politically unpopular but really effective things to solve the issue. In the process you catch all the business cheats that fudge their income and expense records and hammer them too.

But it's more popular to build fences, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,131 posts, read 26,274,712 times
Reputation: 6815
This thread makes no sense. There are no more than a few thousand undocumenteds in your entire state. You're about the lowest in the nation. Think about it - why would they go somewhere that has a lower standard of living than where they're coming from? Seems you folks might be better off relocating South of the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top